Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

br0adband

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2006
so the GPS application probably doesn't have voice commands...

then what's the point? I don't want to look at my iPhone while I'm driving...

So write one, and make a few buck in the process. That's the beauty of these things and the Software Development Kit... get busy and make some moolah if you can do it better. :)

ubersalad

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2008
Actually it makes sense.

If you sold your phone, unless you add a new line, you're essentially stuck with paying the retail price of $399 or what not. Watch AT&T and Apple "miraculously" come up with free upgrade for existing owners, those that sold the phone would actually be in a lesser position.

wstohner

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2004
NY
SUCKS for u 1st generation buyers. Within seconds your iphones were worth $340 on ebay, and now they've depreciated 2 about $100. hehehe sucks for u guys.

And if we sold them on ebay yesterday, what would we use for the next month? First, I don't have an old gsm phone just sitting around. And second, even if I did, I wouldn't give up my iphone for a month just to save some money. So, in the end, what will an upgrade cost me? Probably about $100 after I sell my first generation for $100. Not bad at all.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
No one on eBay is going to buy an "old" iPhone for more than $150 knowing a new one is coming out for $199. They hardly care whether or not the seller had to break the contract.

I suggest you take an econ class. :p

I did...

Remember, there's still a market for unlocked phones...

If you want a 3G unlocked, you have to pay $199, plus activation, plus cancellation, then you can go ahead and unlock it.

The old phones you didn't need to sign up at all...

kire1820

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2007
Wow, I can not wait till July 11th. I have to agree with many posters that it must have sucked for those people who got the iphone gen 1 on ebay. I also think that those who just got the itouch may feel the same way. Come on now, the new iphone is going to cost $199-$299!!!

Hehe, now the problem is getting it......lining up for an iphone...is it worth it? hmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Admonitor

macrumors regular
May 31, 2008
The fact that you can only buy it from O2 or CPW here might suggest that they'll be discounting the phone with a contract? I hope so.

blay

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2008
For those of you who are fed up with the iphones. Might i suggest one of these? Sure they're not touch screen. Neither is the screen as large. Nor are they as cheap...

But at least they do everything that the iphone CAN'T:
-MMS
-Video Recording
-Full Bluetooth Support
-Full 3G capabilities
-16Gb...WITH EXPANSION CARD CAPABILITIES

http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_n96-2253.php

smkmn13

macrumors member
Aug 10, 2006
rim doesnt do winmo
they have their own bb software

and its not just rim
theres a ton of other phones out there that still kill the iphone and business users will find need or want for those features.

oops, my bad. i meant "other" smartphones in general, not just rim's bb...

the flexibility in the iPhone seems to trump the others pretty quickly tho -- the way i see it, existing contracts and existing technology will keep the others afloat for a while, but the iPhone is aggressively moving from a "consumer-toy" to successful business tool...we'll see...

Dynasty

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2008
Purchase on apple store.com next few weeks?

Anyone know if we can reserve or purchase one online through their store in the upcoming weeks? I know they did this with the Air.

If it isn't up now, does that mean we are screwed? I don't want to wait in any lines.

Thanks.

pine1045

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

no!!!!!! Where is the "oh one more thing - new macbook pros!" :(

They were updated at the end of February

fabsgwu

macrumors regular
May 6, 2003
Washington, DC
Sim ejector tool is listed as an in the box item, thats interesting, don't remember getting one with my first gen....maybe I missed it?

-Dan

That would be a paperclip:
iphoneclip.thumbnail.jpg

Mr Maui

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2002
Though the new iPhone 3G appears to have nice features, I'm not sure i understand the "Everything Mac. Everything iPhone." subhead on the WWDC posters, since we didn't ear much about Mac at all, except the elimination of .mac :confused:

somberlaine

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2007
Fairfax, VA
I am a little underwelmed with this update. I guess I will have to wait until the new phones actually become available and some people check them out before I decide if I am going to "hand-me-down" my Gen 1 iPhone.

As it is - it looks like the only big "improvements" are the inclusion of GPS and the faster network speed. Otherwise, it is pretty much exactly the same phone as the Gen1 iPhone I currently have. Same processor. Same memory. Lesser parts/materials.

I'm interested to see how the GPS works, and I'd like to see some of the apps that get made for the app store.

second that. Still no MMS, copy and paste, IM. hopefully it will be available thru the app store.

The other thing is whether or not ATT will change their plans/pricing. a $20 USD data plan is a steal IMHO.

kriskay

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2007
If the price is FIXED worldwide, as has been mentioned, then why not just buy a phone from a country who has different policies.

IE: France, it's illegal to have a phone locked to a network. Done! buy from france no contract, Jail Break, jobs a good one.

On a more disappointed level, I hope that now the SDK is nearly finalized Apple will concentrate on their core users and invest more into their MAC line. There are a lot of products that could really be updated now. The two lines should run parallel with each other now. Apple please invest in some more R&D and a few more employees to boot.

Just seems one platform or the other is suffering.

Sweetbike40

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2007
NY/NJ
I'm very excited, but kinda bummed at the same time that I didn't sell my current iPhone for $300.00 last week...who's gonna pay this dollar amount now?
And I'm ready to buy the 3G iPhone...but WAIT - Apple isn't taking pre-orders online...WTF?:(

Yeh, i should have sold my Touch last week. I held off because i'm going away for a week and will really need the Touch for the vacation. But i should have sold it. I wouldn't take less than $240 now for it so i may be stuck with it. I'd rather give it to a friend, then sell it to a stranger for dirt cheap.

thaitillidie

macrumors member
May 20, 2008
individuality

I think I'll encase mine (my v.1 iphone, that is...screw this technical rip-off that Steven introduced today!!) in precious stones or somethin'....that way, at least I'll still have a relatively unique phone that (deep breathe) EVERYBODY IN THE FREAKIN' WORLD DOESN'T OWN AS WELL!!!!

lordgaino

macrumors member
Nov 28, 2007
Price!

You lot absolutely crack me up.

It is so obvious that the $199 price is the subsidized price - do you really think that they could sell the new iphone for $199 and make money without there being a network subsidy. $199 is nothing after distribution costs etc.

The phone will be available 'offline' of course- if anything for people who break/lose theirs - and the price will be like $599 for the same product.

Apple have overnight destroyed the 'unlocking' market by forcing any offline buyers to pay a premium that effectively negates the point of buying offline in the first place.

Very clever.

michaelsviews

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2007
New England
guys stop the whining.;)
They are offering a better product and slashed the prices big time.

The plastic is maybe a letdown, but we have to look at the product to have a final conclusion, plus in my case, I would buy a protect cover, so it won't be visible anyway.

Sure I would love 32 gig but that's coming maybe in few months. For the price this thing rocks. I would not expect another iPhone 3.0 in at least 1 year from now. But with this price, I don't care to upgrade it later anyway.

Kudos for Apple!

My 2 cents,

Plastic "mite be better for the antenna/reception, although I think the antenna is in the base of the unit." Lets see just how tough the plastic is and the face "Glass"

A-GPS http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AGPS

No 32 gig, personally did not expect it, not sure it'd be worth the extra bucks in my opinion.

Over all, I'd buy a brand new 16gig in the sealed box today, and wait till fall for the new model to mature and work out the bugs and see where the firmware goes.

3G is not all over the place, take a look at AT&Ts map of it, its honestly not that wide spread , and GPS, on a cell phone , Yea OK maybe for giggles but I do not think I would base a trip on the GPS in my iPhone on it. 80% of the cars and trucks I see here have the Garmins and other brands on the dashboard.

Think I'll check eBay for some sweet deals

peterhenley

macrumors member
Apr 6, 2008
new features

I think a lot of folks are missing the point of the 2.0; corporate. Lots of enterprise features to take back the crackberry crowd - email push, contacts, etc. 3x speed improvement is great. Plastic parts? I'm looking at my v1 now and I see a lot of plastic......

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.