Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Original poster
Oct 14, 2005
I know that Apple considers AppleTV a "hobby", but wasn't it always shown as one of the four legs of Apple's chair (along with the Mac, iTunes, and the iPhone)?

Now there's only three legs (per the side at today's WWDC keynote)?

wwdc-keynote_049.jpg

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Original poster
Oct 14, 2005
taha

We’ve got two strong legs on our chair today — we have the Mac business, which is a $10 billion business, and music, our iPod and iTunes business, which is $10 billion. We hope the iPhone is the third leg on our chair, and maybe one day Apple TV will be the fourth leg.

That's what I got it confused with.

Thanks. :)

qwerty2k

macrumors regular
Dec 27, 2007
they need to bring out an :apple:Tv with a much bigger hdd, a 250gig and 500gig version would be best imo.

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
i think the atv falls under music. i'm not too worried about it. i 'seems' to be catching on.

plus, today was a developer's conference meeting. i'm not surprised it wasn't mentioned.

qwerty2k

macrumors regular
Dec 27, 2007
stream movies from the terrabyte external networked drive...

well that would be all fine and dandy but it requires a computer running itunes to be switched on to stream the data to the :apple:tv, it really shouldn't require this. :apple:tv should be able to read and pull the data from an external network hdd without a computer being on.

Jeff Hall

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2006
AppleTV will remain what people perceive as neglect by Apple until the movie studios figure out that their business model is doomed. Every complaint I hear about Apple TV with regards to Rentals/Purchases is almost always rooted in stupid restrictions the studios are imposing (variable pricing, some for rent, some not, rental time limits...etc).

ansalmo

macrumors regular
May 23, 2005
they need to bring out an :apple:Tv with a much bigger hdd, a 250gig and 500gig version would be best imo.

I'd prefer the opposite - a flash-based :apple:tv with enough storage for the OS and not a lot else. Streaming for the win, and no moving parts!

:apple:tv should be able to read and pull the data from an external network hdd without a computer being on.

Agreed. If Apple want to limit sharing to machines running iTunes, then they should at least provide all the capabilities that a normal iTunes client can expect (e.g. playlists). If not, then let us mount networked filesystems.

netdog

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2006
London
As the films are pretty well priced here in the UK, I expect that we'll see Apple's film rentals and :apple:TV sales do pretty well now.

ibglowin

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2005
Don't care about hard drive space.......

Just give me more power from the engines!

Faster CPU, better video card would mean better HD capability.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.