Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
So according to the Stevenote, 3G talk time offers half the battery life of 2G talk time...but what does that mean? Why would you talk on 2G or 3G? Since the current iPhone is not 3G and talk seems to work fine, why would you ever use 3G for talk and waste the battery? Is talking using 3G noticeably better audio quality? Is it that the entire iPhone can only be in a single G mode at once, and applies to using data services while talking?

thunderclap

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2003
So according to the Stevenote, 3G talk time offers half the battery life of 2G talk time...but what does that mean? Why would you talk on 2G or 3G? Since the current iPhone is not 3G and talk seems to work fine, why would you ever use 3G for talk and waste the battery? Is talking using 3G noticeably better audio quality? Is it that the entire iPhone can only be in a single G mode at once, and applies to using data services while talking?

This should be in the iPhone category, not :apple:tv.

BoulderBum

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2008

Well, the difference is approximately 1G. :)

Actually, I don't know the real answer for certian, but I suspect it's just better call quality.

northy124

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2007
No difference for talking but browsing the web it is a difference faster.

northy124

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2007
How should I know, It doesn't sound different at all unless it is also faster so you speak really fast and it doesn't sound like poo or better reception which sounds better, I have owned 3G phones before but I have noticed no quality difference in talking.

Fuchal

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2003
If you talk over 3G, you can browse the web and receive emails while talking on the phone.

darklyt

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2007
Isn't the difference that data can work in the background while you're talking? So you get mail, keep downloading the song off of iTunes, or keep refreshing a webpage as you speak? I don't know about superior audio quality, but I'm pretty sure that the difference is that data is going simultaneously as you're speaking on the phone.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
One advantage of 3G over 2G is the ability to make and receive calls while actively transferring data. When connected via GPRS/EDGE, calls will bounce directly to voicemail if data is being sent or received at the time the call comes in.

Some say 3G sound quality is also better.

Watabou

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
United States
One advantage of 3G over 2G is the ability to make and receive calls while actively transferring data. When connected via GPRS/EDGE, calls will bounce directly to voicemail if data is being sent or received at the time the call comes in.

Some say 3G sound quality is also better.

Oh ok. Makes sense to me now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.