Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joebhoy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 16, 2008
Hi

I got a powerbook G4 and I'm new to using them but just started getting the hang of it but I have a big problem I can't update anything because I need to put in a password but I haven't got it.

Is there anything I can do?

joebhoy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 16, 2008
If you don't have the restore disks, use this process.

Would you mind talking me through this please?

I rebooted then when I put in mount-um/ I hit enter to go on the next line but it came up something like unkown command prompt.

I didn't get any disks with it just a camera and charger. I can't update anything.

merl1n

macrumors 65816
Mar 30, 2008
New Jersey, USA
Would you mind talking me through this please?

I rebooted then when I put in mount-um/ I hit enter to go on the next line but it came up something like unkown command prompt.

I didn't get any disks with it just a camera and charger. I can't update anything.

The command you typed is wrong. You left out space characters and the wrong character.

It should be:

mount -uw /

merl1n

macrumors 65816
Mar 30, 2008
New Jersey, USA
Hi

I got a powerbook G4 and I'm new to using them but just started getting the hang of it but I have a big problem I can't update anything because I need to put in a password but I haven't got it.

Is there anything I can do?

Something smells fishy here.

Where did you get this Mac and why don't you have the password?

The instructions you refer to are for creating a new administrator account, not just resetting the password.

If you just want to reset the password, these are not the correct instructions.

joebhoy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 16, 2008
Something smells fishy here.

Where did you get this Mac and why don't you have the password?

The instructions you refer to are for creating a new administrator account, not just resetting the password.

If you just want to reset the password, these are not the correct instructions.

What you on about something smells fishy?

I wanna update my Java so I can play online poker but I can't cause I need the password I can't downlaod any updates.

When I type in mount -uw / how do I move down to the next line to put in the next part cause I can't press enter?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.