Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mkaiser1

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 16, 2008
Leicester, UK
Hi all,

I'm seriously considering investing in an Apple TV now, but can you all answer these 2 questions:

1. I want to download Movies, TV Shows, music from :apple:TV but have it stored on my iMac and not my :apple:TV. Is this how it'll work? If so, why do I need a big Hard Drive on an :apple:TV?
  2. Details on the Apple site state that you can view photos in albums in a .Mac account. When this gets upugraded to Me.com in 1 month, will you be able to check your mail and calender via :apple:TV too?

Cheers everyone! :)

Sparced

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2007
You want to purchase Movies, TV Shows and Music from iTunes Store but within Apple TV?

What ever you buy will be sent to your Library on the iMac. From the iMac you can choose which content will be stored on the Apple TV.

The difference in having the larger hard drive is just more available without having to leaving your iMac on all the time.

mkaiser1

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 16, 2008
Leicester, UK
ok, so i could choose to store nothing on the :apple:tv and everything in my iTunes library?

So, for example, I could buy a movie from my sofa and watch it there and then, but then have it permanently stored in my iTunes library and sync it to my iPhone/iPod for example?

gadabout

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2007
ok, so i could choose to store nothing on the :apple:tv and everything in my iTunes library?

So, for example, I could buy a movie from my sofa and watch it there and then, but then have it permanently stored in my iTunes library and sync it to my iPhone/iPod for example?

exactly!

i have a 40 gig apple tv, stream everything, and only synch a few things so that if my computer is off while i'm out of the house, my mom can still use my appletv without having to deal with opening itunes on my imac.

so, 99% of the apple tv's use is streamed content, and it works beautifully.

dbwie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2007
Albuquerque, NM, USA
Hi all,

I'm seriously considering investing in an Apple TV now, but can you all answer these 2 questions:

1. I want to download Movies, TV Shows, music from :apple:TV but have it stored on my iMac and not my :apple:TV. Is this how it'll work? If so, why do I need a big Hard Drive on an :apple:TV?
  2. Details on the Apple site state that you can view photos in albums in a .Mac account. When this gets upugraded to Me.com in 1 month, will you be able to check your mail and calender via :apple:TV too?

Cheers everyone! :)

You can store everything on the Mac and stream it to AppleTV. The benefit of syncing is that you will have a backup of your digital media if your hard drive dies or some other catastrophe. Most people who want a large hard drive on the AppleTV is for storage of movies they purchase from iTunes movie store or if they rip their DVD collection and move it to the AppleTV.

Checking mail and calendar in mobileMe is done through a web browser. There is a third party hack that allows web browsing on the AppleTV. This functionality may be included in an AppleTV update. I'm curious as to why you wouldn't want to store digital media on the device, but want to view calendars on it? The Apple TV seems well-suited for the former, and your Mac well-suited for the latter.

wPod

macrumors 68000
Aug 19, 2003
Denver, CO
HD content is only availible to download or rent on the :apple:TV and watch on the :apple:TV that content is not allowed to go anywhere else. but for the majority of content in standard def, it will sync back to your computer.

i personally dont have anything on my :apple:TV I keep everything on my computer and stream it to my :apple:TV. but I have a 400GB movie collection so there is no way it would fit on any :apple:TV.

mkaiser1

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 16, 2008
Leicester, UK
Thanks everyone, that makes sense now.

I assume the ability to store HD media on my iMac that has been downloaded via :apple:tv will occur in a media update in the future.

The web-browsing/email thing was just a thought really...I suppose that would be one thing (amongst many) that the Mac Mini would have over the :apple:tv :)

Cheers for all of your replies.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.