Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sclusiv

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 5, 2007
Hi ...

Is there a fix the sort by name ordering issue in Take 2 ...

example - the Indiana Jones movies don't show up in order even when I have Indy 1, Indy 2 and Indy 3 in the sort name box ... they end up sorting alphabetically ...

Thanks for your help.

DarkHeraldMage

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
I don't have this problem at all and I actually used the sort fields specifically for the Indy movies. lol You sure you have the sort option set up right?

sclusiv

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 5, 2007
I don't have this problem at all and I actually used the sort fields specifically for the Indy movies. lol You sure you have the sort option set up right?

Is this done in itunes or apple tv itself ...

thanks ...

mallbritton

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2006
It's done in iTunes. You can't edit anything on the Apple TV itself.

How is this done? I know iTunes pretty well but I can't seem to find any settings that affect sort order. For example I have all 4 Alien movies and in the Sort Name field I have Alien 1, Alien 2, etc. They are sorted in the correct order in iTunes, but not on the :apple:TV either. I do not sync the movies, I only stream.

Regards,
Michael

DarkHeraldMage

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
I don't know what you're looking at that it doesn't sort on the Apple TV because if it's sorted in iTunes, it should be on ATV. Make sure you have the most recent version I suppose.

mallbritton

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2006
Are you syncing the movies? I don't, but even when I did sync the movies to the :apple:TV they didn't sort correctly.

Regards,
Michael

DarkHeraldMage

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
I do both. It doesn't matter. The only reason it wouldn't show is if you have it listed as TV show or music and not movie. I haven't messed with those settings. Only movies.

mallbritton

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2006
Hmm. I have the movies categorized as "movies" since they show up under My Movies. But no correct sort order. I wonder what I'm doing differently?

Regards,
Michael

DarkHeraldMage

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
I'm not at my computer now so I couldn't tell you unfortunately. Take a screenshot of the main tagging tab and the sort tab and post here. I'll take a look. Do it for 2 or 3 of the Indy movies or any series you're manually wanting sorted, that way I see exactly what's going on.

MikieMikie

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2007
Newton, MA
I don't use a space between Alien and 1

I number series of movies as follows:
Alien01
Alien02
Alien03

etc.

Works for me... let me know if that fixed it.

sclusiv

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 5, 2007

Alien01
Alien02
Alien03

etc.

tried it this way ... not working for indy movies ... crusade shows up first ... doesn't work for the alien series either ...

any suggestions ...

thanks

mallbritton

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2006

Alien01
Alien02
Alien03

etc.

This method does not work for me either. On my :apple:TV the Alien movies are still in the wrong order:
Alien
Alien: Resurrection
Alien3
Aliens

I even did a soft restart to force the :apple:TV to sync all the information from iTunes. This is quite the puzzle.

Regards,
Michael

sclusiv

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 5, 2007
This method does not work for me either. On my :apple:TV the Alien movies are still in the wrong order:
Alien
Alien: Resurrection
Alien3
Aliens

I even did a soft restart to force the :apple:TV to sync all the information from iTunes. This is quite the puzzle.

Regards,
Michael

The Aliens series show up the same for me ... perhaps if we Squeegify and then Lostify ... link ... anybody else try this utility ...

And if someone knows a PC version /or similar of Lostify ... please let me know

thanks ...

gadabout

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2007
i have issues with this as well. my indiana jones, harry potter, and lord of the rings rips are in the correct order in itunes but not on apple tv. can anyone who has gotten sort name to show up correctly on apple tv post some screen shots of the movie tags, and a picture of everything looking right on the tv?

DarkHeraldMage

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
i have issues with this as well. my indiana jones, harry potter, and lord of the rings rips are in the correct order in itunes but not on apple tv. can anyone who has gotten sort name to show up correctly on apple tv post some screen shots of the movie tags, and a picture of everything looking right on the tv?

I'll do this tonight when I get home. :)

NJuul

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2006
Boston
I had the exact same sorting problems (with specifically the Indy and Harry Potter movies), but I got it to work by using Metax to set the sort tags (sort field: "Indiana Jones 1" .. "Indiana Jones 3"), and then re-importing the movies to iTunes. Now they are sorted as they should be.

DarkHeraldMage

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
I had the exact same sorting problems (with specifically the Indy and Harry Potter movies), but I got it to work by using Metax to set the sort tags (sort field: "Indiana Jones 1" .. "Indiana Jones 3"), and then re-importing the movies to iTunes. Now they are sorted as they should be.

This could potentially be the problem for everyone else as well. My tags were done in MetaX. This could be a coding issue. There are plenty of fields within iTunes that aren't necessarily flagged as feeding to the AppleTV and if you're inputting the sort information directly into iTunes, it may not feel the need to communicate that. Good catch NJuul.

MikieMikie

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2007
Newton, MA
Sorry for the delay in getting back to this thread -- been busy actually working. :(

So, as others have said, I have relied on MetaX to do my sorting, i.e.: I have entered Alien01, Alien02 etc. into MetaX.

gadabout

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2007
metax seemed to do the trick. thanks!

i had avoided metax in the past, but now it seems they have added the tag fields i had wanted (long description, track/disc number), so maybe it is time to replace lostify after all!

mallbritton

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2006
Using MetaX to enter the "sort name" tag data sound like a reasonable explanation for why the sorting isn't working for me. I had not originally entered the data in MetaX, but just done it through iTunes. I'll give MetaX a try when I get home and see how that works.

Regards,
Michael

mallbritton

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2006
It turns out it is not necessary to tag the files exclusively with MetaX. What I did have to do was remove the items from the library and re-add them, once I had set the "sort name" tag in iTunes to get them to show up correctly on the :apple:TV. This seems to be a bug, to me.

Regards,
Michael

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.