Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Map from TUAW, click for larger.
AT&T provides a tool to let you know if you are in an area that receives 3G service. At the moment, 3G service is focused on major metropolitan areas. Fortunately, the iPhone 3G falls back to EDGE (2.5G) service if outside a 3G area.

Unfortunately, however, if you buy an iPhone 3G, you must purchase the 3G ($30/month) data plan even if you live outside 3G areas. According to Mark Siegel, Executive Director of Media Relations with AT&T Mobility, there is only one price for the data service, and that's presumably $30/month.

Where available, 3G provides much faster data (web, email, downloads) service over the 2.5G network which was built into the first generation iPhone.

Article Link

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Maybe I'm being a dunce, but what do all the colors and shades mean? Is it the blue on the 3G/HSPA map that is the HSPA service area, or the blue and the orange? I don't see a key anywhere. :confused:

Out of curiosity, relatedly is there any news about original iPhone owners who want to switch plans or people who buy a used iPhone and want to activate it with AT&T? Are they going to have the old data service plan costs or only the $30 option?

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Maybe I'm being a dunce, but what do all the colors and shades mean? Is it the blue on the 3G/HSPA map that is the HSPA service area, or the blue and the orange? I don't see a key anywhere. :confused:

Sorry. Dark blue is 3G.

arn

Rojo

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2006
Barcelona
Sorry. Dark blue is 3G.

arn

Seriously?? That's IT?

Wow. I assumed it was more widespread. Now I can understand how outrageous it is for AT&T to demand everyone pay for 3G service with the new phone, when it's just in sporadic spots throughout the U.S. That's kind of crazy. There should really be a 2G/old iPhone plan option. Just disable any possibility of using 3G. Can't they do that?

Shannighan

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2007
Buffalo, NY
Seriously?? That's IT?

Wow. I assumed it was more widespread. Now I can understand how outrageous it is for AT&T to demand everyone pay for 3G service with the new phone, when it's just in sporadic spots throughout the U.S. That's kind of crazy. There should really be a 2G/old iPhone plan option. Just disable any possibility of using 3G. Can't they do that?

yes they can, my moms phone is 3g capable but it is not turned on. (sprint)
but same goes for all companies

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
I think you'll see AT&T rolling out more and more 3G coverage in the coming months. After all, they really just started less than a year ago. I can't see them selling you a 3G capable phone and giving you just an Edge plan. How would the phone know that? How would they disable it so that you couldn't use 3G when it was available (or bill you extra for it)? Having just one data plan simplifies it for them.

Again, remember that the customer is not important in this scenario. :rolleyes:

deannnnn

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2007
New York City & South Florida
Now that I think about it... it's really a lot more coverage than you'd think.
Check out the difference when zoomed in...

att3g.jpg

jsanche6

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2008
Do you guys think there's gonna be an existing customers plan or just one plan for everyone? Cuz i think it's really dumb that they would treat existing ATT customers like this. I sold my ipod touch and my phone that I recently upgraded so I could get my first iphone. I'd buy the plan if it was $20 like before.

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
02 also have a map

In the first one dark blue represent (video calls i.e. 3G) and in the second map the purple represents HSDPA. Looks like that where there is 3G there is HSDPA although coverage is not as strong. The areas covered represent a large proportion of our population.

I live in places with HSDPA coverage and on my first gen iPhone I very infrequently get EDGE coverage (about once a month). EDGE was and is a joke over here.

Attachments

• Picture 3.png
    Picture 3.png
    9.9 KB · Views: 5,889
  • Picture 4.png
    Picture 4.png
    9.8 KB · Views: 5,900

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
I think you'll see AT&T rolling out more and more 3G coverage in the coming months. After all, they really just started less than a year ago. I can't see them selling you a 3G capable phone and giving you just an Edge plan. How would the phone know that? How would they disable it so that you couldn't use 3G when it was available (or bill you extra for it)? Having just one data plan simplifies it for them.

Again, remember that the customer is not important in this scenario. :rolleyes:

I'm sure the people out in the middle of BFE are going to rush to pay $30/month for EDGE speeds. That's what gets me. I'm probably moving outside Atlanta's 3G area later this year, so why upgrade my phone for what may be the same thing? I'm still back and forth on this, but I'm glad I got a refurb EDGE phone which cut $150 from my price and lets me pay $20/month.

I could deal with the $30/month data if they would ever cut their package rates. They start at $40/month for anything with rollover minutes, and that's what you start at for the iPhone plan. What about a $30 plan with 200 minutes? I seriously use my phone about that much (I have more than 3000 rollover minutes in the tank). I just don't get the impression that AT&T gives one rat's patoot about customers.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
this is the reason that the first one wasn't 3G, there really just isn't as much coverage sadly.

stagi

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2006
Thats a bummer you have to pay the new price if you live in an area without 3g.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.