Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

southbark

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 15, 2006
My wife and daughter bought me a 160gb appletv for my birthday and i have returned 5 of them for the same problem.The flash between the apple logo and the menu screen.Yes i have tried the arden apple store they do not even have any apple tv's they are telling me it could be 2-3 weeks before they get anymore

The one i have now flashes bewtween apple logo and connect to itunes code

TexasAg

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2008
I guess just letting it flash ever so slightly once every week or so is just out of the question.:rolleyes:

Vster

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2005
Celina, TX
Thats too bad that you've had to switch it out that many times. :(

Hopefully you'll get one that doesn't flash and love it!

Also, what do you mean by flash b/w the Apple logo and main menu?

MikieMikie

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2007
Newton, MA
Is it connected to your receiver/TV via an HDMI cable?

Saying your AppleTV flashes is a lot like me saying "I yelled at my kids twice today."

Without knowing I yelled at them to not wander into the road, or jump in front of a bus, the statement has a different meaning.

TexasAg

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2008
Mine flashes all the time when it boots up. Sometimes the Apple logo appears with a purple background and a green apple. It doesn't matter, since once it boots up it works fine.

Unless the OP clarifies what's happening, it looks like he's complaining about flashes that occur during HDMI negotiations or for other reasons during boot-up only.

And exactly how many of these does the OP need to get and return before he/she starts wondering if it's his/her TV or a common issue affecting all ATV users?

knux11

macrumors regular
Apr 22, 2008
that's sounds like an uber picky reason to return one. I suppose you don't have a ps3, that thing flashes all the time, and even more when i first got it (before all the updates).

TexasAg

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2008
that's sounds like an uber picky reason to return one. I suppose you don't have a ps3, that thing flashes all the time, and even more when i first got it (before all the updates).

Maybe we misunderstood. Perhaps "the flash" is not a flash of light, but something slightly more illicit? What exactly is "flashing"?:)

And I agree - seems like an extra-whiny reason to return something, especially if it is the flash caused by HDMI.

ayale99

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2007
Sounds like the problem lies with your TV, not the AppleTV.

From what I've read, the HDMI connection flashes on a lot of TV's. Some worse than other maybe, but really it's not a big deal at all. Is it? I've got a Samsung that flashes every time. It doesn't bother me. It's establishing a connection.

Agreed- Super picky reason to return an AppleTV 5 times. You could return it 50 times, it's still going to flash buddy.

hotzenplotz

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2007
^^ True about that flash via HDMI.
I used to have my ATV hooked up via component, and never had that "Flash" thingy. Ever since I switched to HDMI, a brief "Flash" appears when I switch from regular TV to ATV. Nothing annoying.

TexasAg

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2008
So there is your answer, southbark. Either use component cables or get rid of the ATV. Practically every HDMI device I've ever owned flashed at some point when it boots or when I switch inputs to it.

gadabout

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2007
i think the OP is describing something different from just the normal hdmi logo flashing.

i just did a factory restore on my apple tv, and am now having the same problem as this guy. it showed the apple logo, and the connect code alternately, and everytime it showed the code, it was a different number. also, the apple tv does not show up in itunes. i was able to press menu (after pressing about 50 times, it registered one of the presses), but now it flashes between the logo and the menu, and once it goes back to the logo, it forgets where my cursor was, so i cant get it down to settings so i cant get the newer software version or anything.

basically, never do a factory restore...

update: i let it just sit there switching screens for a few minutes, and it eventually stayed on the menu. then i was able to go to sources and set it up to synch from there. phew

wh!plash

macrumors member
Mar 5, 2008
Sarasota, Fl
Its definitely your TV.

The sheer statistical chance that you got 5 bad appletv units in a row is astronomically high.

Lets say 1 out of a HUNDRED appletv units that apple manufactures is bad out of the box. This is way high. Its probably more like one out of several thousand.

.01 * .01 * .01 * .01 * .01 = 1e-10 = .0000001% = one in ten billion chance.

You're either not doing something right, or your HDMI port on your tv is funny. i promise.

for the record, i hate when people do this. dont know how something works, dont ask, dont call apple, they just return it. again and again and again. seriously.

southbark

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 15, 2006
Ok i mean on the screen the apple logo flashes then the menu flashes on and it does this and thats all it does for hours and hours and hours and every apple tv i got shows it was purchased in september.They were all sealed in plastic to

sicken18

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2008
All of my HD toys flash when i first switch to its input on my receiver or tv.

Unless it flashes repetitively I would just deal with it.

southbark

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 15, 2006
It flashes and thats all it does nothing else canot watch or sync . I have tried it on two hd tvs at myhouse as well as one at my friends and my fathers even tried my projector still the same.Costco manager even tried it on six of their tvs and still the same.Since no one hear can figure it out i will just have to wait for apple

jeremy.king

macrumors 603
Jul 23, 2002
Holly Springs, NC
It flashes and thats all it does nothing else canot watch or sync . I have tried it on two hd tvs at myhouse as well as one at my friends and my fathers even tried my projector still the same.Costco manager even tried it on six of their tvs and still the same.Since no one hear can figure it out i will just have to wait for apple

Apparently Apple shipped all defective units to your local Costco...I'm not saying you didn't get a bad unit, but 5? I suspect some form of exaggeration to your story.

taylorwilsdon

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2006
New York City
Agee its something other than the appletv. Did you try different cables?

Seriously - its like statistically impossible that you could have 5 dead units in a row with the same problem.

My thought: Power issue. If they're not working on costco's tv's, that (potentially) rules out your TV. Perhaps your power at your house is destroying the units, and then they won't work at your house or costco

JackArc

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2006
Orange County, CA
I had the exact problem with the flashing thing, if you are hooked up via wireless, do a hard restart and restore factory settings, and when it asks you to connect to your network - don't. Just go straight to the menu (still not connected to the net)

If you are connected via ethernet, unplug it, and go to the main menu.

Once in your in the main menu, connect to the net either wireless or through ethernet.

IT SHOULD DO THE FLASH LOOPING THING NOW

Menu --> Silver apple logo --> black screen over and over

Just let it do its thing! Don't touch it. This will go on for about an hour until your screen saver turns on. Once its on hit play and download the update right away! It should fix any problems. Worked for me!

Hope this helps. I almost threw mine against a wall last night. The thing is really great when working perfectly.

- Jack

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Sure you are selecting the right resolution for your TV? There is 720p 50/60Hz etc.

The wrong one sometimes causes odd flickers on my screen.

sicken18

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2008
Maybe its set for a 50 hertz display

I noticed under TV resolution settings their is a option for 50Hz which would cause a flicker sense all tv's made for the us run 60Hz . If so reset the unit hole - and menu until it resets itself.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.