Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wolfpackfan

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 10, 2007
Cary, NC
Okay, as I posted in another thread, my iPhone currently has no service. I canceled the service back in January because I still had a year to go on my 4 line Sprint account. So basically since then I've been using my iPhone as a Touch and it's been working fine. My plan was to reactive my iPhone next January as part of moving all four lines from Sprint to AT&T. Based upon posts here though I got concerned that when I did that, I'd end up having to pay the $30 data plan rate.

So I thought I might try going ahead and reactivating now and seeing what rate plan I would get. I did a restore on my iPhone and when presented with the option in iTunes to setup the phone as a new iPhone or recover from backup, I chose to set it up as a new iPhone. Well it never said anything at all about creating a new account. It asked me what I wanted to sync, etc. and that was it. The funny thing is, in iTunes, it is showing my original iPhone phone number.

Did I do something wrong or are you no longer able to activate within iTunes? One thing - this phone has previously been jail broken (I didn't think I ever unlocked it though). But I was thinking a restore would erase all that. Any suggestions as to how I can go about reactivating my phone?

djransom

macrumors 601
May 14, 2008
Chi-Town
Okay, as I posted in another thread, my iPhone currently has no service. I canceled the service back in January because I still had a year to go on my 4 line Sprint account. So basically since then I've been using my iPhone as a Touch and it's been working fine. My plan was to reactive my iPhone next January as part of moving all four lines from Sprint to AT&T. Based upon posts here though I got concerned that when I did that, I'd end up having to pay the $30 data plan rate.

So I thought I might try going ahead and reactivating now and seeing what rate plan I would get. I did a restore on my iPhone and when presented with the option in iTunes to setup the phone as a new iPhone or recover from backup, I chose to set it up as a new iPhone. Well it never said anything at all about creating a new account. It asked me what I wanted to sync, etc. and that was it.

Did I do something wrong or are you no longer able to activate within iTunes? One thing - this phone has previously been jail broken (I didn't think I ever unlocked it though). But I was thinking a restore would erase all that. Any suggestions as to how I can go about reactivating my phone?

I would give AT&T CS a call. I thought that iTunes would take you through the steps of establishing or in your case re-establishing service.

wolfpackfan

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 10, 2007
Cary, NC
I've been thinking about my problem some more. In iTunes, it is still showing my old phone number. This occurs even after I do a restore. Could this problem be related to the SIM? I don't know anything about SIM's. Once activated though, do you have to do something to them to reset them to use with a different phone number? Maybe that is why iTunes won't let me reactivate?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.