Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ViperDesign

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 7, 2007
Utah
Well today I took the 230 dollar hit for something I wanted to try out. So far I must say I am enjoying it.

I like the fact that I can put all of my movies onto a EXTHD and not ever have to worry about a scratched DVD from my kids throwing it around or trying to put it into the dvd player.

All they have to do is use the controller, go to the movie they want and hit play.

I have begun using that MetaX to fully tag my files as well.

My process so far has been to handbreak, then VisualHub then to external HD it goes. But I might just cut out the VH for now and just use handbreak only.

My settings so far when using handbreak are AppleTV, done lol

The videos look like DVD quality to me so absolutely zero complaints. The files stream very quickly over my network. I hit play and within 10 seconds the movie plays.

Very very nice so far.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
You don't need VisualHub for DVD conversion, you would be best suited to cut that out of the workflow and go with just Handbrake.

You could get MacTheRipper to rip multiple DVDs to your HDD then queue them up in Handbrake for an overnight encoding session. Come back in the morning and have 5 or 6 movies ready to go.

ViperDesign

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 7, 2007
Utah
Well I officially now have 23 dvds and I just purchased and now ripping the complete king of queen series. I know this is going to take quite a long time, but to me it will be fully worth it.

I still love the fact that I have all my dvd's available to me right away without having to find the damn thing :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.