Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

anneleonard

macrumors regular
Original poster
I've been backing up most of my Home files on DVD so I can do a clean install of panther. Easy, I thought, I'll only need about 3 of them, mostly for my mp3 collection. I've been burning stuff on with the osx method of burning cds/dvds by dragging files into the blank one on the desktop and then dragging that to the trash.

So far I have amassed SEVEN coasters and only 2 actual successes of burnt dvds. I just can't believe it. I'm using Datawrite discs bought from novatech with my 17" iMac (bought March this year).

What could be the problem? They were quite cheap DVDs, but even with cheap ones, surely the majority within a pack should work? Has any one ever tried to get money back from a shop/manufacturer because of the amount of coasters they had? The main problem is that novatech is an internet company and my boyfriend has had terrible customer service from them before. They also don't include consumables within their returns policy. Could it be a hardware problem with my iMac even?

If anyone can shed any light on this situation, it would be much appreciated.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
you get what you pay for. Cheap DVDs won't work or won't last. I've heard people complain about their cheap-o DVD's becoming unreadable after about a year. Buy a pack of name brand DVDs, Apple's for instance, and see what happens.

Lethal

Giaguara

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2002
yea, i got apple's dvds just to be sure they last fot important backups.

of the coasters .. i used the M$ office cds as coasters. it was fun :D

jamesatzones

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2003
Seattle
Apple DVD's are backed by Apple. 90% of the time I recommend Apple DVD's to my clients, I also personally use them. It's true, you get what you pay for...

FuzzyBallz

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2003
Home of Al-Qaida
Apple 4x DVD-R, made by Maxell are $4 a pop in the 5/box set. Memorex 4x DVD-R, made by RicohJPN are $30 for 25/cake @ amazon.com, or $1.20/DVD. That's $30 shipped. Hmmm...

But hey, it's your money.

Personally, I only use FujiFilm and Memorex 4x DVD+R, 'cause it works on my Sony stand alones. Well, the DVD-R works too, but DVD Plus just sounds better.

BTW, I don't think it's the quality of the of the DVD you're using, but rather your insistance on using Mac OS X's built-in burn program. I mean, you could've at least shell out for Toast. Mac OS X's built-in burn program can't even erase CDRW. I gotta do that on my PC w/ CloneCD.

Too bad Nero doesn't do Mac. heh

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.