Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OldCorpse

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 7, 2005
compost heap
Sorry if this is a silly question, but I have no experience with iPods. I'm thinking of buying an 8GB new Nano. However, it is less for any music listening purposes and more as a very small pda - really all I want is a couple of apps: 1) a way to display .txt files, so I can use my laptop to load the Nano with txt files such as lists of items which I can then open and check when out and about and 2) a simple calculator - I don't know if this is possible, since inputting numbers may not be simple. Anyhow, I understand that Apple prolly doesn't have such apps, but are there any 3rd party apps that do that (authorized or not)? TIA!

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
there aren't really any apps available for the iPod nano. Your first request is filled by the notes section, however.

There used to be a group of people actively working on linux for the iPod, but I think that pretty much died off a few generations ago.

It sounds like you require an iPod touch.

However if you want a PDA why not just buy a PDA? The iPod nano would make a horrible PDA.

OldCorpse

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 7, 2005
compost heap
there aren't really any apps available for the iPod nano. Your first request is filled by the notes section, however.

There used to be a group of people actively working on linux for the iPod, but I think that pretty much died off a few generations ago.

Too bad.

It sounds like you require an iPod touch.

It's starting to look like that.

However if you want a PDA why not just buy a PDA? The iPod nano would make a horrible PDA.

Size. I want small, small, small - so that I almost don't feel it in my pocket... I hate carrying stuff around. But I still would like to listen to a bit of music and have PDA capability as well - but in one SMALL package, instead of carrying huge bricks, or multiple devices. Ideally, I'd like to carry ONE TINY device that does all :)

mBurns

macrumors 6502
Oct 3, 2006
USA
Thanks for the feedback! I'll go and have a look probably after the next update sometime Sept/Oct.

Yeah, definitely check out the Touch. To be honest, you should be able to score a killer deal on a NIB iPod Touch from someone who purchased one with the Apple deal over the summer. I'd watch Craigslist. You're sure to find some poor College student looking to offload one to offset the cost of their machine! Happy hunting.

jezjosh

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2011
I just got this lil guy and it has captured my attention away from my equally new iphone 4. I like electronics, watches and music...so yep.....it rocks. It sucks it doesnt have any apps for it yet though. I believe both apple and the dev team will start producing apps in the future...the question is...when? I know the screen is small, but that shouldn't stop anyone. I mean I once had a watch (smaller than the nano) that could be used as a calculator, a phone book, a memory bank and so on. (yah im a geek aite). I think the ipod nano is capable of these things and more. A qwerty keyboard sounds impossible but a normal keypad might work. sure!.. it would back to the old way of entering text....but the fact is....its on your watch/ipod nano not your phone. This way, info such as phone numbers and account numbers could be easily recorded and with help of some password protection, kept safe. How cool would that be! What about a sbsettings for the thing (or something similar)
In an attempt to maintain battery life I constantly have to adjusting the brightness of the watch (sucks that it doesnt do that automatically) but what really sucks abt this is how far i have to go to access the things brightness.... it should be simpler. Imagine a flashlight app just like the early iphone flashlight apps. A compass app would also be useful. A general organizer app that allows you to put reminders and appointments sync'ed from your puter

bjett92

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2007
Indy, IN
Yeah, definitely check out the Touch. To be honest, you should be able to score a killer deal on a NIB iPod Touch from someone who purchased one with the Apple deal over the summer. I'd watch Craigslist. You're sure to find some poor College student looking to offload one to offset the cost of their machine! Happy hunting.

There was no iPod Touch deal this summer....

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
My theory as to why it's not been jailbroken/apps on it yet is because the user base isn't big enough. You have 220m iPhone/iPod Touch users compared to, what, 10-20m iPod nano users? Maybe less?

Who would you develop for?

And1ss

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2009
I think you are better off getting a iPod touch. Reading txt files on the nano's screen hurts my eyes imo.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
My theory as to why it's not been jailbroken/apps on it yet is because the user base isn't big enough. You have 220m iPhone/iPod Touch users compared to, what, 10-20m iPod nano users? Maybe less?

Who would you develop for?

And also that Apple has promoted developing for iOS (publishing of user interface guidelines, etc) but not nano.

PS I know the OP is from years ago.

iCanDigThat

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2010
iPod Nano as a watch/iPhone compliment

now that the nano is being sold with an emphasis on it being a watch i'm significantly more interested in getting one. I'm not looking for it to replace my ipad or iphone but i'd love if it could integrate into my iVironment. Sadly, the nano doesn't seem to be equipped with onboard bluetooth or wifi so wirelessly connecting to another device or to iCloud seems out of the question without a separate dongle...which would add too much bulk for its use as a watch. Really, my nerd fantasy is to have a watch that would display the phone calls or text messages that are coming in on my iphone but the BT watches that are out there are definitely lackluster, incompatible with the iphone or both.

Anybody out there using a nano as a watch? If so, how's the battery life? Are you able to use it for anything else? What other functionality do you find yourself wanting from it that's missing? It feels like something Apple will eventually embrace themselves (iTime, the iPhone compliment) but, as usual, my idea is still years away from becoming a reality.

godostoyke

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2010

monoSpray

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2012
Anybody out there using a nano as a watch? If so, how's the battery life? Are you able to use it for anything else? What other functionality do you find yourself wanting from it that's missing? It feels like something Apple will eventually embrace themselves (iTime, the iPhone compliment) but, as usual, my idea is still years away from becoming a reality.

I'm using the nano as a watch with the HEX Vision Metal Watchband, besides that it look really great on the wrist, i can't really use it for much more then a clock and for docking it at home when listening to music...

What could be really cool was if it had bluetooth so i could play music "on the go" without the wire... but we have to wait for an upgrade for that. It would sure be nice if at had wifi asswell so you could use spotify and so on...

But for now, I'm really happy for my watch ;) :apple::apple:

----------

Anybody out there using a nano as a watch? If so, how's the battery life?

2-3 days :)

JUiCEJamie

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2011
Why don't you get an iPhone?
A Phone. An internet communicator. And an iPod.

You'd get rid of a few devices that you've already got, and have them in one amazing device.

:p

kaielement

macrumors 65816
Dec 16, 2010
now that the nano is being sold with an emphasis on it being a watch i'm significantly more interested in getting one. I'm not looking for it to replace my ipad or iphone but i'd love if it could integrate into my iVironment. Sadly, the nano doesn't seem to be equipped with onboard bluetooth or wifi so wirelessly connecting to another device or to iCloud seems out of the question without a separate dongle...which would add too much bulk for its use as a watch. Really, my nerd fantasy is to have a watch that would display the phone calls or text messages that are coming in on my iphone but the BT watches that are out there are definitely lackluster, incompatible with the iphone or both.

I do use mine as a watch and I can say I go weeks with it but manly because I am not using as an iPod and really use it to tell time it's more of a fashion accessory and conversation starter. As to the first part of your post you should check out the Motorola version just a thought (and you can wear it as a watch). It is a bit more pricy though.
http://www.motorola.com/Consumers/U...and-Services/MOTOACTV/MOTOACTV/MOTOACTV-US-EN

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.