Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

theman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 26, 2007
this is my first time using FAH on a mac, and so far it's been a headache. first, i install the graphical client. but after 3 days i check my status through fahlog.txt and it's still at 0%, even though my CPU has been going 100% the entire time. so i delete the entire program (the application, and the Folding@home folder). and now i'm trying to use the console version, but I can't figure out how to install it. i have the Folding@home folder installed into /User/name/Library and it contains fah6 and mpiexec files. in Terminal, when i try to do

./fah6 -smp -confligonly

it just gives me this message:

Note: Please read the license agreement (fah6 -license). Further
use of this software requires that you have read and accepted this agreement.

Folding@Home encourages the use of SMP clients for OSX/Intel machines. We currently do not have any non-SMP cores available for the Intel architecture. Please re-run with the -smp option

Folding@Home Client Shutdown.

so i do ./fah6 -license

and the license agreement comes up.

no matter what tags i use, or if I don't use any tags, it just gives me that identical stupid message. when i add just -smp it says "-smp ignored" and then goes on to explain why i need to use the -smp tag.

So then i tried to install the graphical version again, it just doesn't work. my cpu is idling and fahlog.txt shows nothing other than fah6 client starting up.

what is going on?????

there is almost no support online for issues like this.

why is their mac client so crappy?

gotzero

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2007
Mid-Atlantic, US
I went the opposite way, I originally tried the console version, and also gave up.

I got the graphical client working through a lot of trial and error, although it does not work graphically...

Install the client, turn it on in the system preferences, and then take a look at things in the terminal:

$ cd ~/Library/Folding@home

$ tail -f FAHlog.txt

This should show you your progress. It works for me. I was never able to get the graphical client or screensaver running, but I stopped caring after my computers got folding.

theman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 26, 2007
well i tried to go back to the graphical version... but it's not working. it just says "starting FAH client" but never starts working. did i break something?

gotzero

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2007
Mid-Atlantic, US
well i tried to go back to the graphical version... but it's not working. it just says "starting FAH client" but never starts working. did i break something?

Nothing is broken. Get rid of the app and all the files, and grab the SMP client again. I had to try a couple of times on each before anything was working correctly.

theman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 26, 2007
ok, i got the graphical version to work by making sure everything was deleted. i let it run for a day, and it got about 20% of the wu finished. but when i got up in the morning it said 5%, so i checked the log and i got this:

[23:05:06] - Checksums don't match (work/wudata_01.xtc)
[23:05:07] Premature end of file when checksumming (162224 bytes left)
[23:05:07] - Could not calculate checksum (work/wudata_01.xtc)
[23:05:08] Checksum not what expected.
[23:05:09]
[23:05:09] Folding@home Core Shutdown: FILE_IO_ERROR
[23:05:14] CoreStatus = 75 (117)
[23:05:14] Error opening or reading from a file.
[23:05:14] Deleting current work unit & continuing...

what the heck is that about? argh. so far i've given 5 whole days of work for absolutely nothing. this is so frustrating.

theman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 26, 2007
just checked my log again tonight, and it had 10-20% into about 6 different work units before it had some dome IO error. so after 6 days, i've managed to get no WU's done. i guess i'll never be able to run folding on my mac. i'm stuck with my 2 old crappy PC's.

darn it.

MacBandit

macrumors 604
ok, i got the graphical version to work by making sure everything was deleted. i let it run for a day, and it got about 20% of the wu finished. but when i got up in the morning it said 5%, so i checked the log and i got this:

[23:05:06] - Checksums don't match (work/wudata_01.xtc)
[23:05:07] Premature end of file when checksumming (162224 bytes left)
[23:05:07] - Could not calculate checksum (work/wudata_01.xtc)
[23:05:08] Checksum not what expected.
[23:05:09]
[23:05:09] Folding@home Core Shutdown: FILE_IO_ERROR
[23:05:14] CoreStatus = 75 (117)
[23:05:14] Error opening or reading from a file.
[23:05:14] Deleting current work unit & continuing...

what the heck is that about? argh. so far i've given 5 whole days of work for absolutely nothing. this is so frustrating.

That happens occasionally for no apparent reason. Even so check to make the computer isn't set to sleep.

MacBandit

macrumors 604
just checked my log again tonight, and it had 10-20% into about 6 different work units before it had some dome IO error. so after 6 days, i've managed to get no WU's done. i guess i'll never be able to run folding on my mac. i'm stuck with my 2 old crappy PC's.

darn it.

Forgot to mention that I went through a period of time with both my MacBook at one time and my PS3 at another where I went several days without a successful unit. It had something to do with Standford and not my machines however.

theman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 26, 2007
my computer was set not to sleep. i don't know what the deal was. i'm just going to wait for the next beta.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.