Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Growing threads on both MacRumors and Apple's discussion forums are reporting intermittent vertical striping with current generation 15" MacBook Pros.

According to affected users, the striping appears to occur when the display is changing brightness, often when waking from sleep or powering up or taking pictures with Photo Booth. To temporarily resolve the issue, users have shut and re-opened the lid or used the ctrl-shift-eject keyboard combination to reset the LCD.

This particular issue has been documented by several sites over the past several months, however Apple has yet to respond in any formal manner.

Article Link

melchior

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2002
I have this issue maybe once a week, doesn't bother me and since i'm in bangladesh i probably wouldn't go to effort of getting a replacement unless it included updated model...

i have a latest gen 15" mbp

FocusAndEarnIt

macrumors 601
May 29, 2005
I had Apple replace my entire machine. New one is great - but with other graphics issues. Figures. :rolleyes:

Electrolytic

Suspended
Mar 8, 2008
Another reason why I don't buy any displays from Apple, they make the worst in the industry.. Walmart sell better displays than Apple...

Thanks Apple for your high quality product....

longofest

Editor emeritus
Jul 10, 2003
Falls Church, VA
Another reason why I don't buy any displays from Apple, they make the worst in the industry.. Walmart sell better displays than Apple...

Don't know if I'd go that far... a little over-priced yes, but they have great color fidelity and viewing angles. View gradients on an Apple LCD vs. something from Walmart and you will see the difference.

McBanjo

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2007
I've only had this issue once in the life of my Macbook Pro.

It's no big deal really. Only if you were having regular problems should you do anything about it.

phalewhale

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2007
But that's the thing. Some of the affected folks are on their third MacBook Pros that still exhibit the issue. Bringing it in doesn't help.

If it's something that can be fixed with firmware they need to sort it - otherwise I'd be enquiring about a refund.

Electrolytic

Suspended
Mar 8, 2008
Don't know if I'd go that far... a little over-priced yes, but they have great color fidelity and viewing angles. View gradients on an Apple LCD vs. something from Walmart and you will see the difference.

I've had a macbook pro & looked a the new imac's they all have the same issue as: bright corners or light bleed around the frame of the screen. You can see this easier if you flood the screen with a solid color.

parapup

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2006
To Apple's credit

I recently had this issue and the Genius in Apple store did not waste a minute before ordering a replacement logic board and LCD both. 2 days and the problem is gone.

Things happen - it's not like Apple ignores these reports when they are submitted to them via the established channels - I would be surprised if people don't get a resolution by one means or the other.

dal20402

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2006

Completely wrong...

This is not an issue with the quality of the display itself, but with the LED backlight, which is an advantage when it is working properly as it warms up instantly and has a wider range of brightness than CCFL. While no laptop panels are all that great, Apple uses the best ones made in quantity.

The 20" and 23" Cinema, 24" iMac, and 30" Cinema are some of the best consumer-level displays in existence. Only very expensive professional-level LCDs are better.

Edit: just to add I have a Penryn/LED 15" MBP and have never experienced this issue.

krye

macrumors 68000
Aug 21, 2007
USA

Apple doesn't make the displays. They just put them in their products. Blame LG, NEC, Philips, etc etc etc. If anything, blame Apple for bad drivers and firmware.

kornyboy

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2004
Knoxville, TN (USA)
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

Did this issue crop up when they switched to LED lit displays? If so, has there been reports of this problem with the MBA or 17" MBP? If the 17" MBP & MBA haven't seen the same issue, any idea why it is specific to the 15", software or hardware related? Just my inquisitive nature.

darklyt

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2007
Are any other 15.4" widescreen laptops having the same problem? (Something from Dell, IBM, etc.)

Electrolytic

Suspended
Mar 8, 2008
:eek: What about 30 inch cinema displays?!?! *drools*

Put a high end Sony, NEC or View Sonic next to the cinema display & you will see a better image (brighter & more consistent color). However the cinema display frame or bezel in nicer...but that's about it....

I only buy apple for the os, their displays suck....

kockgunner

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2007
Vancouver, Canada
this is a rumour? :p i thought i was on page 2 news or some old archive or something. this issue is finally getting the light that it deserves. i got my macbook pro yesterday and when i first booted it up, i noticed uneven backlighting.

and i wanna know, do the previous gen macbook pros have this screen issue? i thought led backlighting was supposed to light the screen more evenly?

zideshowbob

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2008
Another Problem from time to time

I have some graphic bug from time to time. Looks like that:
2588095738_817ea81412.jpg

Derekasaurus

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2003
Has Apple ever responded "in any formal matter (sic)"? They usually fix their bugs quietly...eventually. Except when they don't.

Tosser

macrumors 68030
Jan 15, 2008
Hey Apple can care less about your screen issues. All they want to do is sell Iphones now.

Exactly.

Oh, and remember, you'll want MobileMe to go with that :rolleyes:

Apple doesn't make the displays. They just put them in their products. Blame LG, NEC, Philips, etc etc etc. If anything, blame Apple for bad drivers and firmware.

LOL, what a cop-out! Ever heard of quality control?

The reality is, that it's Apple's quality control that has gone downhill in the last five years. And fast. It's like saying the sudden shut-down syndrome wasn't apple's fault, that it was the Motherboard manufacturers fault.

You might as well say that people should just live with Volkwagens and Peugeots that burst into flames, as it was just a part in the cars that screwed it up. That way no seller of consumer products can be held responsible for the quality of the product they sell.
QC ≠ Apple

Edit/add:

15" MacBook Pro: Most problematic Mac ever. :rolleyes:

Yup. My MBP (2.33MHz) is the final in a long row of MBP's I had to fight for. Most of them had the MB exchanged 3 times, and all of the time I had to fight uphill with Apple Europe, as it could not be their problem that their computers didn't work. USB problems, FW-problems, superslow at times (those were also suddenly bilingual in the OS - as in "simultaneously", no matter how many reinstalls). 17-19 months of hardships all in all. And people wonder why this (working) MBP will be my last MBP?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.