Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Brundlefly

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2003
Hamilton Ontario
Really Silly Answer

You will fine the option key inbetween the ctrl and the apple key (command key)

2 keys to the left of the spacebar

under the "z" key

:D

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
now granted we probably have two different keyboards, but isn't the option key usually the one that says option on it? i think pro keyboards do, and the cheap one i have does...

:)
pnw

einsteinium

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2003
now if only we could find the "any" key with as much ease... our prayers would be answered, our society become a utopia, life would be absolutely wonderful...

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Originally posted by paulwhannel
now granted we probably have two different keyboards, but isn't the option key usually the one that says option on it? i think pro keyboards do, and the cheap one i have does...

:)
pnw
Nope, it's not written on my Pro keyboard.

Squire

macrumors 68000
Jan 8, 2003
Canada
Mine says alt in small print and option in larger letters. At least I think that's my option key. ;) Maybe they didn't start labeling them 'til recently.

Squire

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
My new PowerBook just says 'alt' and that funny "thermocouple" symbol. No 'option' in sight. I was slightly confused at this at first, this being my first ever Apple and all...

Dreadnought

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Almere, The Netherlands
LOL :D

On my keyboards there is only the "word" alt on it and the thermocouple sign (the z with the -on the left of it). I always looking for those keys when using special commands. It's funny that Apple is using different signs/words on keyboards over the world. BTW I live in the Netherlands.

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
That "thermocouple" key is the Option. I remember reading that Apple started using symbols (The same ones that appear in the menus) on some "higher-level" keys because they may have different uses in different countries, or even different names. And the story as I under stand it, is when Apple release the first ADB full Size KB with F keys, they added "alt" over the option to help PC users cope, considering that the "command" uses the spot that PC traditionally carry the "alt". Also, I heard they added it so people would know where the alt key when they used to ship Macs with PC's on a daughter card like the Performa 630/DOS. Its just become habbit, personally, I'd like to see the "alt" go away, and have us call "command" "open Apple" as we all learned it in school on the Old Apple IIs. (Remember Open Apple, Closed Apple). In fact, I've always called it "Open Apple" and always. I remember reading some documents about developing on a Mac in like 2001, and Apple suggest that developers use the folowing nomenclature:
Folder - instead of Directory
Apple Key - Instead of Command

Of course It has been a while, so a can't remember any more. These are just the ones that got stuck on the roof of my mind.

TEG

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.