Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MGC1107

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 18, 2008
Hello All. Sorry in advance for my lack of technical expertise. I just bought an Apple TV unit. I have a Mac G4 desktop, and have a DSL connection that I run through a new modem and an Airport Extreme base station. My internet connection on the G4 is working well.

I connected my Apple TV to my tv, and it immediately recognized my wireless network. However, it won't connect to it. I connect my Mac to the internet (via the Airport) using PPPoE. When I tried to switch this to "Using DHCP", I lost my Mac connection (my DSL provider told me I had to connect my Mac using PPPoE). So, assuming that my Apple TV couldn't connect "Using DHCP", I tried to configure the connection manually as suggested by Apple Customer Support, with no luck. One confusing part was the Apple TV inputs were all 12 digits, but some of my information under the TCP/IP were less than 12 digits. I filled in the others using zeros.

In any event, I should be able to easily connect my Apple TV to my wireless network and I can't. I'm running out of steam on this. Any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks.

Passante

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2004
on the sofa
Are you connecting your Apple tv wirelessly to your Apple basestation?

If so what type of network are your running B B/G G N?

What type of encription are you running wep wpa

Do you restrict your wireless network to certain MAC addresses

MGC1107

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 18, 2008
I'm trying to connect it wirelessly to my base station (it recognizes it, but isn't connecting to it). I don't believe I have any encryption running (it's shown as being an unsecured network), and I haven't knowingly restricted it to certain Mac addresses. I don't know what type of network I'm running. (sorry, I told you I wasn't too sharp on these things). Are there any steps I can take to configure things properly?

Is there any issue with the PPPoE connection from my Mac to the Base Station, versus DHCP? My DSL service provider told me that the Apple TV should be able to connect via DHCP despite the PPPoE settings I use to connect my Mac to the Airport. At this point I become really confused. Way too technical for a piece of consumer entertainment technology.

ericdrew

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2008
Had a similar problem initially with my Apple TV. However, I knew my iMac's wireless internet connection was working so I just duplicated it's settings on the Apple TV.

Try looking on the Mac that currently has a working wireless connection. Go to System Preferences>Network and then duplicate the TCP/IP settings there including subnet mask, etc. on the Apple TV's Network Preferences screen.

Good luck!

jb60606

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2008
Chicago
I'm a little confused:

The modem that your ISP provided to you should be PPPoE. The Apple router you're connecting to that modem should be configured to be a DHCP server.

Everything else on your network should be a DHCP client.

MGC1107

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 18, 2008
Ericdrew - each of the inputs on the ATV screen for the manual configuration option force you to use 12 digits (ie. for IP address, subnet mask, router, etc). However, some of the information in my TCP/IP settings are less than 12 digits. What did you do?

JB - I have no idea if the Airport basestation router is DHCP. I've had it for a couple of years? Might I need to upgrade? (btw - I like the tri reference. I did IMLP in 06. Perhaps should have spent more time buried in networking reference guides)

MGC1107

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 18, 2008
Last night I moved my ATV away from any metal surfaces, unchecked all firewalls, entered in all of the IP address/Subnet/Router/DNS info manually in the ATV setup screen (again, not really knowing how to handle the "less than digit" issue above), and restarted everything. No luck at all. ATV still sees my Airport Extreme, but will not connect wirelessly. I'm at a complete loss of what to do next.

MGC1107

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 18, 2008
Turns out that I had a faulty ATV unit. I exchanged it, and the new one started up right away with no problems. The Apple support staff were great.

knightwingbk

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2011
Restricted MAC Address network

I'm having similar problems with my network. I use a wireless network restricted by IP address subnet mask and a MAC address. I tried finding the information for my AppleTV but was unsuccessful. I went into the Manual setup and got confused where it asked me to put in my AppleTV's IP address? Do I just make one up myself? There were so many things to input I got lost and confused. I found the MAC address on the Apple tV but could not complete the setup. HELP!

mannoman

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2008
Apple TV Won't Connect to my Wireless Network

I'm having similar problems with my network. I use a wireless network restricted by IP address subnet mask and a MAC address. I tried finding the information for my AppleTV but was unsuccessful. I went into the Manual setup and got confused where it asked me to put in my AppleTV's IP address? Do I just make one up myself? There were so many things to input I got lost and confused. I found the MAC address on the Apple tV but could not complete the setup. HELP!

@knightwingbk - I am not a pro by any means but I have hooked up two ATVs and they work just fine. I never had to fool with/change IP address, subnet mask or MAC address info. The most important thing to remember (and you didn't mention it) is that you must have iTunes up and running (on your pc/mac) with home sharing enabled. Did you do this? The only input I had to make was my AppleID and password. Did this help at all?

Ccrew

macrumors 68020
Feb 28, 2011
I don't believe I have any encryption running (it's shown as being an unsecured network), and I haven't knowingly restricted it to certain Mac addresses. I don't know what type of network I'm running. (sorry, I told you I wasn't too sharp on these things).

"shiver" :eek: :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.