Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

theipodgod16

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 10, 2003
Berkeley, CA
Boy, just look at how biased CNET is today. This whole week, they have had some sort of "ipod killer" articles, today is no exception! Its as if they dont like the ipod at all and want to see it be swallowd up by the PC, just as the Mac OS was. Its driving me nuts. They scored the Dell DJ as being their favorite "ipod killer", and yet Dell has 2 or 3 ads per page of the entire website!!! Folks, CNET should be your last choice for any reviews or reccomendations!

Heres a link to today's "ipod killer" page.
(I dont know if this link will work after 11\2, they might have a new homepage that for once doesnt have an "ipod killer" thing slapped on it)

http://www.cnet.com/

5300cs

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2002
japan
CNET sucks a hard one, I stopped going there a long time ago. When the iPod first came out, all the idiot windoze people swamped the comments sections with "D00d, it wont run on windows ohmy god whata piece of crap!!!!!1!!1" and 14,000 other similar comments. Of those, like 3 people actually HAD one, let alone USED one.
Their reviews tend to be pretty picky too, and not just on Apple hardware.
I'd recommend going to another site wherer the IQ level is above room temp. :D

sawaguchishinji

macrumors member
Feb 5, 2003
Brazil
Re: CNET is so Biased!!!

Originally posted by theipodgod16
Boy, just look at how biased CNET is today. This whole week, they have had some sort of "ipod killer" articles, today is no exception! Its as if they dont like the ipod at all and want to see it be swallowd up by the PC, just as the Mac OS was. Its driving me nuts. They scored the Dell DJ as being their favorite "ipod killer", and yet Dell has 2 or 3 ads per page of the entire website!!! Folks, CNET should be your last choice for any reviews or reccomendations!

Heres a link to today's "ipod killer" page.
(I dont know if this link will work after 11\2, they might have a new homepage that for once doesnt have an "ipod killer" thing slapped on it)

http://www.cnet.com/
Don't pay much attention. iTunes Music Store will help iPod to stay #1.

theipodgod16

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 10, 2003
Berkeley, CA
Don't pay much attention. iTunes Music Store will help iPod to stay #1.

i Agree, i just think that for all of the high praise they gave it (its the top rated one out of the 6 or so they have so far), why do they say "ipod killer" instead of "HD MP3 player"? I guess its to satisfy all of those WINDEll people who like to bash things they dont know about. I think its funny that the Samsung-Napster YP9003282827whatever got like a 20% "love it rating" on the lil survay they had today.

revenuee

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2003
Just shows how strong the iPod actually is

i mean if your original be prepared to be copied... as that is also the highest compliment :D

theipodgod16

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 10, 2003
Berkeley, CA
look on that on this link http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6497-5093864.html?tag=cnetfd.ld you will notice that where all of the other players say "read review", the dell one says "Highly Recomended", even though it scored lower than a third of all of them! Also notice how it says at the top there, talking about how the ipod cant hold on much longer, it says:

These new hard drive players want a piece of the action, including a new player from Dell.

I seriously think that CNET should be taken down for Biased reviewing, i mean look at who their biggest advertiser is!!:rolleyes: :mad:

Spock

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2002
Vulcan
I still love the way the iPod has been TechTV's Fav since it came out. And TechTV is almost owned by Microsoft

ITR 81

macrumors 65816
Oct 24, 2003
Tech Tv also supports Linux big time on their shows as well as OS X which is normally never seen in most avg computer shows.

If the DJ was an iPod killer then why did my friend at CompUSA sold 100 iPods last week and only had sold 2Dj's. He told me folks ask for the iPod they don't ask for the DJ or Napster. CompUSA has told all their employees to push iPods as well because it's there best MP3 seller.

Fukui

macrumors 68000
Jul 19, 2002
Originally posted by tazo
what are you smoking? lmao. Just because Paul Allen owns TechTV doesnt mean that techtv is owned my microsoft...jesus...
Yes it does...:D

Anyways, if you look at thier site, they have lots of suff that is from their "Sponsors." They're just news hoars. Who ever pays thier bill get the headlines.

Ever notice that before, David Corsey was suddenly all down on apple, and then, on the Longhorn conference, he just came out with pro-windows articles...etc.
I guess steve just forgot to pay for the PR that week...:rolleyes:

Squire

macrumors 68000
Jan 8, 2003
Canada
They also have an article called "Five Reasons NOT to Buy an iPod" on their site. However, the article just points out some of the things that the competition has up on the iPod (battery life, skipping, price, line-in, and limited choice of music stores). They still go on to say the following:

"...while the iPod rocks, it's not now, nor has it ever been, perfect for everyone."

"With about 1.5 million units sold, the iPod is the most popular MP3 player in the world, and it still makes other players look and feel inelegant in comparison. Don't get me wrong; it's still our favorite overall MP3 player."

"While not ideal for some niche activities, it's still hands down the best-designed MP3 player in the world."

http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6450_7-5102324-1.html?tag=fs

Squire

ShadowHunter

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2003
Fresno
Originally posted by Squire
They also have an article called "Five Reasons NOT to Buy an iPod" on their site. However, the article just points out some of the things that the competition has up on the iPod (battery life, skipping, price, line-in, and limited choice of music stores). They still go on to say the following:

"...while the iPod rocks, it's not now, nor has it ever been, perfect for everyone."

"With about 1.5 million units sold, the iPod is the most popular MP3 player in the world, and it still makes other players look and feel inelegant in comparison. Don't get me wrong; it's still our favorite overall MP3 player."

"While not ideal for some niche activities, it's still hands down the best-designed MP3 player in the world."

Squire

When I first read that article a couple weeks ago, it really set in motion this idea in my head that Cnet was biased. The evidence in this thread is even more convincing.

Anyhow, how good can article be when it is constantly contradicting itself? "The iPod is great, but but but" "iPod is killer, but but but". Why don't they just come out and say, "we're looking for any reason to kill the iPod here, but have to cover our asses because most people can see Dell is the number 1 advertiser on our site " already? Geez.

If you're going to publish an article about iPod alternatives, for whatever reason, then do so; just don't be so bogus about it.

Slightly off-topic, are we going to see an increase in stock battery life for the iPod soon? 6 "real" hours is fine for 95% of my life, but that last 5% would like to see at least 10 hours. (Not being unrealistic, just thinking of those long driving days or all-day ski outings)

GeeYouEye

macrumors 68000
Dec 9, 2001
State of Denial
Re: 17" Powerbook

Originally posted by DbAscent94
For what it is worth to add to this discussion, Cnet just rated the new 17"Powerbook the best of breed. Here is a link to their Editor's Choice.
http://reviews.cnet.com/Apple_17_inch_PowerBook_G4/4505-3121_7-30568313.html?tag=cnetfd.plug
That's because they don't risk losing a revenue stream from Dell by that review, and have no conflict of interest when it comes to music services.

Follow the money. Explains most everything.

celaurie

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2003
Scotland, UK.
Re: CNET is so Biased!!!

Nah, ya think? C-Net has never been very Apple friendly. It fell off my list of places to visit the week after I got internet access and that was MANY moons ago.

5300cs

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2002
japan
Originally posted by Independence ...Or did you only look at the ever so slightly negative stuff? [/B]

Are you being sarcastic, or are you serious?

cnet fell off my list a long time ago, too. There are plenty of other sites to go to that don't suck.

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
Originally posted by theipodgod16

I seriously think that CNET should be taken down for Biased reviewing, i mean look at who their biggest advertiser is!!:rolleyes: :mad:

Yep because anyone that doesn't think an Apple product is perfect is biased. :rolleyes:

Give me a break.
Lets see. The 17" PowerBook gets an editors' choice award.
The 40 and the 20 GB iPods get editors choice awards as well.

Heck the Dell jukebox gets a score of 8.0 and the iPod 40 and 20 GB units get 9.0 and 8.7 respectively. If you spend more then 5 minutes on the site you would know that they don't give out the editors choice awards to devices that only score high. Price, features, specs, battery life, etc also play a part.

Try READING before you spout out that they are biased:

I would suggest that if you’ve never used any other device other then the iPod and are trashing it based on on on…hmmm you figure that one out. Then there may truly be someone who is biased and it may not be c|net.

dcoltonbrown

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2003
Originally posted by SiliconAddict
Yep because anyone that doesn't think an Apple product is perfect is biased. :rolleyes:

Give me a break.
Lets see. The 17" PowerBook gets an editors' choice award.
The 40 and the 20 GB iPods get editors choice awards as well.

Heck the Dell jukebox gets a score of 8.0 and the iPod 40 and 20 GB units get 9.0 and 8.7 respectively. If you spend more then 5 minutes on the site you would know that they don't give out the editors choice awards to devices that only score high. Price, features, specs, battery life, etc also play a part.

Try READING before you spout out that they are biased:

I would suggest that if you’ve never used any other device other then the iPod and are trashing it based on on on…hmmm you figure that one out. Then there may truly be someone who is biased and it may not be c|net.

Bravo...very well said!

stoid

macrumors 601
The 5 reasons to not buy an iPod just got one more of the useful reasons axed. Now with the microphone you can make digital recordings. There goes Number 4! And give me a break, in numbers 2 and 3, the iPod isn't even compared to similar products, so if you want a HD based player, you already don't care about those 2. Yes, I'll admit, that more battery life would be nice, and so number 1 IS legit, and number 5 is semi-legit, but since the other music stores honestly DO suck, you don't really want to waste your time on them. Basically number 5 reads: "Apple didn't bend over and take MS's WMA format hard up the ass, and so you will have to unplug your own bottom if you plan on using this far superior device."

So about 1.2 legit reasons out of 5, that's about a 25%. That fails just about anything, anywhere, ever.

7on

macrumors 601
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
Originally posted by ShadowHunter
Slightly off-topic, are we going to see an increase in stock battery life for the iPod soon? 6 "real" hours is fine for 95% of my life, but that last 5% would like to see at least 10 hours. (Not being unrealistic, just thinking of those long driving days or all-day ski outings)

What? I've never ran out of "life" for my iPod. I even used it for 9 hours straight. I have the 2G though, but the 3G should get a good 8hours. Though I have noticed the charge being less when I don't leave my iPod plugged in all the time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.