Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davebl

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 26, 2003
Arkansas
So I can't afford to put a superdrive in every mac I own, so I have the idea of buying one external one and sharing it with all of my macs, and yes, a dreaded pc.

Now correct me if I am wrong but the superdrive apples uses is a Pioneer DVR-A04/104. Pioneer now has out their DVR-A06/106 which is a multi-format writer.

My idea: obtain a new 106 writer, and put it in an external firewire case and use it on all my machines.

I know that Toast will work with it (or so I hope) but what about iDVD. My local Apple Sales Consultant tells me that iDVD will only recognize it if the dvd writer is a) internal and b)in a certain logical position (only on some models).

does anyone have any light that they can shed on this subject?

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Re: External DVD Writers......and iDVD

Originally posted by davebl
So I can't afford to put a superdrive in every mac I own, so I have the idea of buying one external one and sharing it with all of my macs, and yes, a dreaded pc.

Now correct me if I am wrong but the superdrive apples uses is a Pioneer DVR-A04/104. Pioneer now has out their DVR-A06/106 which is a multi-format writer.

My idea: obtain a new 106 writer, and put it in an external firewire case and use it on all my machines.

I know that Toast will work with it (or so I hope) but what about iDVD. My local Apple Sales Consultant tells me that iDVD will only recognize it if the dvd writer is a) internal and b)in a certain logical position (only on some models).

does anyone have any light that they can shed on this subject?

iDVD does not burn to external drives.

Lethal

5300cs

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2002
japan
Are the internal ones expensive in the US? I went around here looking for one, and no one had one- NO ONE. I went to literally 7 different stores and not one place had superdrives. Apparently it had something to do with all the superdrives being updated amd the stores were waiting for new shippments and/or because the G5 was out. :confused: I was going to buy an external as well, but lucked out finding a 104 on auction for around $200 (¥25000.)

edit: Oh yeah, I remember when I put the superdrive in my MDD PowerMac, it wouldn't open properly because the face plate was bumping up against the frame, so I pulled it (the face plate) off, and now it works fine :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.