Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stoutdog101

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 10, 2008
Hi all,

I just bought a 15" MBP last Wednesday and absolutely love it! So quick, so efficient, and I'm having a great time setting up all the programs to work the way I want them to.

My question is this: Do you have to Quit (Cmd-Q) all the applications before shutting down? With Windows, I made sure to close everything out before turning the computer off... but that can be a pain on the Mac if I have 10 apps running in the background at once. I would assume it takes a little longer to shut down with more apps open, but wanted to make sure that it is otherwise okay to do.

Thanks

iPhil

macrumors 68040
Hi all,

I just bought a 15" MBP last Wednesday and absolutely love it! So quick, so efficient, and I'm having a great time setting up all the programs to work the way I want them to.

My question is this: Do you have to Quit (Cmd-Q) all the applications before shutting down? With Windows, I made sure to close everything out before turning the computer off... but that can be a pain on the Mac if I have 10 apps running in the background at once. I would assume it takes a little longer to shut down with more apps open, but wanted to make sure that it is otherwise okay to do.

Thanks

Mac OS X will automatically quit apps before shutdown/reboot...

jayhawk11

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2007
Mac OS X will automatically quit apps before shutdown/reboot...

Only exception to this rule (in my experience) is if you have multiple tabs open in Safari. Then it gives you the regular "You have x tabs open in Safari" dialog box. You have to respond to that box otherwise it cancels the shutdown process.

Other than that, you're golden.

Khryz

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2007
My Macbook started out being able to close all the applications I had open during shutdown, but now I get the "OSX was unable to close "X" application properly..." message.

Anybody have any idea why this is?

lostfan916

macrumors 6502a
Dec 23, 2007
NorCal
If I have a lot open, I'll just close them all because it shuts down a bit faster (not that I ever shut down.)

A trick is to command+tab, and then just command+q your way down the list. Pretty fast way to do it.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
...My question is this: Do you have to Quit (Cmd-Q) all the applications before shutting down? With Windows, I made sure to close everything out before turning the computer off... but that can be a pain on the Mac if I have 10 apps running in the background at once. I would assume it takes a little longer to shut down with more apps open, but wanted to make sure that it is otherwise okay to do.

Thanks

Here is a great little program.

Jiddick ExRex

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2006
Roskilde, DK
What is this 'shut down' you are talking about?? :p

Anyways, I shut down so rarely that when I do, all kinds of weird **** goes wrong and some apps stop responding, leaving me the feeling that OS X simply can't shut down properly... Of course this is just fantasy and a consequence of Apple designing the OS so the users rarely need a shutdown.

shaunymac

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2008
A trick is to command+tab, and then just command+q your way down the list. Pretty fast way to do it.
...not sure how you get those pretty quotes..but

This is definately an awesome way to close apps and the way it try to "teach my family how to close apps to prevent them from leaving them from running in the background. Simply command tab and hit q on whichever app you would liek to quit. Its awesome whenever you have 5 or maybe 10 going at a time :D. I find myself trying to do it on this windows computer at work bc I often trick myself being in Safari.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.