Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tinkjoe

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 28, 2003
Kitchener, ON. Ca
i have an i-mac that i just picked up and is connected to a cable modem for internet. i want to also hook up my old pc that was previously hooked up to the cable modem. what all do i need. btw the mac is in the basement and the pc upstairs on the 2nd floor. will a router (if thats what i need) work with both a pc and mac. thanks in advance. scott. also does the network speed suffer if i go wireless.

AdamR01

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2003
Are you wanting to go wireless on both computers? The speed of the internet shouldnt suffer because cable is usually around 1 mbps and 802.11b is 11mbps. The speed of transfering between the computers will be slower because most network cards are 100mbps.

law guy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2003
Western Massachusetts
Re: router how-to

Originally posted by tinkjoe
i have an i-mac that i just picked up and is connected to a cable modem for internet. i want to also hook up my old pc that was previously hooked up to the cable modem. what all do i need. btw the mac is in the basement and the pc upstairs on the 2nd floor. will a router (if thats what i need) work with both a pc and mac. thanks in advance. scott. also does the network speed suffer if i go wireless.

A wireless router like Belkin's "54g" would serve your needs. (part number F5D7130) I have one serving both a PowerMac G4 with an Airport Extreme card and a 2.4 GHz P4 WinXP Pro unit.

For the Dell, I put in a Belkin pci card (it has a little antenna on the back that you screw into the card once installed) (part number F5D7000). Under a $100.00 by a good bit - I can't recall how much.

The PM G4 is in the second floor home office and the Dell 2.4 is in the basement (three floors of seperation - R30 10' fiberglass insulation between floors) and the signal strength to the Dell (after moving the antenna around a bit) is in the ''very strong" range.

The set-up couldn't be easier. While the Belkin router / wireless access point ships with a quick install CD for windows, I set it up and administer it with my Mac (it's very easy). In fact, you'll plug your cable modem into the thing, turn it on, and your Mac (assuming your airport card is on) will recognize the unit and want to join up with it. Because you won't have set WEP security access codes yet, you'll be able to get on that easy. The Belkin guide gives you an IP address to use to adjust the settings to enter a 64 or 128 bit WEP access code.

On the PC, I installed the software (do that first) for the wireless Belkin card I purchased, plugged in the card and - again - accessed the wireless network right away. I went back later after I'd set up the WEP access code to tell the software on the Dell what the code was.

Very simple. I can't recall exactly what I paid for the Belkin - I think it was just over $100.00 for the wireless access point / 4 port router. The range is 1500 ft. - I suggest this just because Apple's airport base station is SO spendy at $200-some for the more expandable model and then extra for a Dr. Bott antenna. I'm sure it's fantastic, but the Belkin was just very affordable and works well / had a very easy set-up.

Good luck with setting your wireless network up. Once you've got it, you'll want to get new notebooks to take advantage of surfing the net out in the backyard while leaves fall on you - just fantastic.

tinkjoe

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 28, 2003
Kitchener, ON. Ca
thanks for the replies. i ended up getting a d-link wireless router for 70 bucks, and went hard wire into the imac and then a linksys wireless pci card for my pc upstairs. it was all plug and play with no setup needed, and the only complaint is the pc loses the signal from time to time, which is annoying as it kicks me out of msn messenger. total price was just under 200 bucks cdn. scott.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.