Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Eddie L.

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 7, 2008
Hello all. I apologize up front for the blatant :apple:TV newbie question, but I am at a loss here and I've spent days unsuccessfully trying to find an answer on this forum.

Here's my scenario. I've had an :apple:TV for about 2 months. My :apple:TV is connected to my newly installed PC and DSL internet connection via hard wire ethernet connection through a new Linksys Wireless N router/switch using one of the 4 ethernet switch ports. I've got one ethernet cable running from my office to my home entertainment system, and then that connection is split using a second switch on that end so that I can connect my DirecTV DVR and the :apple:TV both to the Internet. I just installed my new PC (running Vista) a few days ago, but this problem was occurring before with my old PC. My :apple:TV is recognized by iTunes (correctly shows up as a device in iTunes) and my photos have been synced from my PC to my :apple:TV. I can also see all of the new movie selections and trailers on my :apple:TV, so I know that it is successfully accessing the Internet (without an Internet connection, nothing appears in the Movies section). I have also downloaded and installed the Take 2 software update and the newest iTunes version as well.

My problem is that when I click on the "Buy" button to purchase or rent a movie on my :apple:TV, the screen goes to "Accessing the iTunes Store" with the progress circle spinning below. The problem is that it stays on that screen and never starts downloading the movie. I originally thought that there may be a temporary problem with the iTunes store, but I can go to my PC and immediately access the iTunes store there. I also thought that my Linksys router/switch might be blocking the access with a firewall, but I have verified that the router's firewall has been disabled. What's even more maddening is that I tried to download a purchased movie this weekend and ran into this problem. After trying to buy the movie last Saturday, I just gave up and never successfully downloaded the movie. Then, on Wednesday, I received an email receipt from Apple where my account had been charged for the purchase price of the movie! So there is at least some communication with the iTunes store, because I was billed for the movie even though it never downloaded.

What am I missing here? Any help here would be greatly appreciated!

sanPietro98

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2008
28.416834,-81.581214
Try going into iTunes and clicking "Check for Purchases..." under the "Store" menu. If all is well, at least iTunes should download the Movie, then sync it to your :apple:TV.

But that should not be the typical behavior.

Eddie L.

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 7, 2008
Thanks for the reply. That did get the movie to download to iTunes (which it had not done previously). But I still need some help on what is causing this problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.