Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Khryz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 7, 2007
I'm trying to find new icons for my dock and whatnot and when I download iContainers they come in .sit files. My Mac by default uses Stuffit Expander and then attempts to open it in Quicktime as a movie file .. Wtf?

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
My mistake. I read your post too fast and didn't realize you already had Stuffit. I thought you were looking for a program that would open .sit files. varmit is absolutely correct in his answer.

varmit

macrumors 68000
Aug 5, 2003
I'm trying to find new icons for my dock and whatnot and when I download iContainers they come in .sit files. My Mac by default uses Stuffit Expander and then attempts to open it in Quicktime as a movie file .. Wtf?

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks.
Click to highlight the .sit file, and hit Apple+I to bring up the Info panel. Then check to see what program is setup to open such a file in the "Open with" area, and it might be set to Quicktime. If so, choose Stuffit from the drop down list, and hit Change All... If its setup for Stuffit, change it to something else and hit change all, then change it back to Stuffit and do another change all.

To be able to open it right away you can right click, or Ctrl+click the file and under Open with choose Stuffit from the list.

Khryz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 7, 2007
Thanks for the quick reply.

So I opened the Get Info panel on the left and found the Open With drop down list - it was set to Quicktime. However, when I open it up to view the list Quicktime is the only program shown. So then I hit Other and searched for Stuffit and it was blurred out and I couldn't choose it. Now I'm confused .. do I not have it anymore or something?

varmit

macrumors 68000
Aug 5, 2003
Thanks for the quick reply.

So I opened the Get Info panel on the left and found the Open With drop down list - it was set to Quicktime. However, when I open it up to view the list Quicktime is the only program shown. So then I hit Other and searched for Stuffit and it was blurred out and I couldn't choose it. Now I'm confused .. do I not have it anymore or something?
The preferences that say that Stuffit can open sit files has some how gotten corrupted, don't really know where to look for that preference though. I would download and install the latest free version of Stuffit.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.