Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

otep1760

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2007
this is my newest one, it was done by DJ Minor in Houston, Texas.
DJ uses a new(er) type of tattoo machines called the Neuma.
http://neumamachines.com
The Neuma is a Pneumatic (air powered) tattoo machine and sounds much like a dentists drill rather than a tattoo machine.
With my experience with it (6 hour session), it was less painful, and it ran a lot smoother than a normal machine, because it is run by gears instead of magnets like a normal machine, for that reason it causes a lot less irritation, swelling and redness than a normal machine.
here is my picture directly after my 6 hour session, as you can see no irritation or redness.
Also the two days the tattoo has been completely unsore, i cant even tell its there.

l_58f301c1bc446b42aa38e8eb01a0a755.jpg

ghostguts

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 11, 2008
Just finished it yesterday -- two session and six hours.

"All we are we are and everyday is the start of something beautiful"

2578910696_ff3aaeff27_b.jpg

2578910786_6ce50d5020_b.jpg

2578910904_a8bc30a9e5_b.jpg

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
Is it safe to infer that few Mac users have tattoos?

Why? Do we lack character?

I've got a few. But, no you can't see. Custom work. Not going to share on the Internet so that everyone can copy them.

I was quite surprised the other day when browsing through a Tattoo magazine (waiting to get my latest one touched-up / tweaked a bit), that I saw several Tattoos in one magazine that were already on people in another magazine.

I find it interesting to see what other people have done, and get inspiration and such for ideas. But, to actually use the same tattoos? I don't think so.

Why would I want the same thing that is on thousands of other people?

So, when my wife and I go in, we present them with ideas (verbally), and let them draw up a custom interpretation of that idea. Basically, we describe what we are looking for, and let them create fresh artwork for it. Then, once we see their draft sketch, we'll discuss little tweaks or alterations if we want additional details or some details altered.

Usually, our local artist gets it exactly like we want (actually better) on his first attempt. Often, we'll go in there and be surprised by how his drawing captures our idea even better than the mental picture we had.

None of mine have come out of a catalog, or website, or "Flash" thing. They were all created by the local artist and drawn up by his interpretation of our description. You get some surprising and interesting work by just letting them loose to work creatively and come up with their own ideas to create what you are after.

I would hate to have something that was on millions of other people. I like being unique, and having something unique.

I was actually quite surprised that the magazines would feature people who just had tattoos from "flash" catalogs. Especially exact artwork that matched many other people and the original drawing exactly.

While everyone is obviously free to express themselves as they choose. I would think that you'd likely appreciate the artwork longer (and have fewer regrets) if you knew it was custom made for you.

That said, I've seen a lot of great tattoos here in this thread. Great ideas everyone.

Lots of creativity here.

Oh, the one with the home job stuff, I checked out that link. Man, that's just too freaky for me. Maybe I'd let my wife do that, but definitely not my friends and definitely not while we were all drunk. Might wake up with a smurf or something the next morning.

Great, now I've done it. Everyone's going to be giving their drunk buddies smurfs while they're passed out. Well, now we'll know who drinks too much :)

Anyway, great pictures. Great Tattoos. I'd share. But, I'm afraid I'd see them in next month's Tattoo Magazine on someone else then (not you guys, but probably some other web searcher). So, I'll keep mine to myself. Sorry...

Roger1

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2002
Michigan
I've always wanted a tattoo that said "peace, love, harmony" on it, but I figured if I got it, my kids would use it against me every time I yelled at them.
:p

CHAOS STEP

macrumors 6502
I would never be able to make my mind up on a design for a tattoo.

I will have to wait till they can implant flexible LCD screens under your skin and I would change it every day.

I have seen very few 'good' tattoos, it gets very tiresome seeing loads of kids with Tribal, Chinese Character or 'Tramp Stamps'.

Seriously, the only people that can pull off a tattoo and look convincingly awesome are primarily Japanese Yakuza.

Thinking of having a tattoo, take this simple test;

1) Are you Yakuza?

If No: You are only worthy of a stick on tattoo from a bubblegum packet.

If Yes: Get a cracking great dragon all over your back, don't forget some shades and a white Italian suit for when it gets too Chilly.

Attachments

• 157833950_84917cdf9b_b.jpg
    157833950_84917cdf9b_b.jpg
    454.8 KB · Views: 287

Heavy Fluid

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2008
I got one in the Army about 15 years ago.

Wolf.jpg

And got it covered with this last September as a present from my wife.

cover8.jpg

With just the outline done.

cover.jpg

Heavy Fluid

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2008
bntz, any chance you can get someone to take some clear shots of that sleeve? Is that a totem pole I see? It looks pretty cool. The gorilla is interesting. I would love to see some more shots of it.

otep1760

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2007
Heavy Fluid, that skull that you covered up the wolf with looks a hell of a lot like the skull i posted on the bottom of my leg.
pretty strange!

if that came off as me accusing you of copying, i dont mean it. im just comparing the two.
its uncanny how similar they look.

Heavy Fluid

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2008
April 13, 2008 - i just got another tattoo last night, under the pirate ship covering my achilles tendon and stuff, i should have a picture of it up later tonight.

I couldn't have copied you. I got mine done September 17, 2007. :D

There are some similarities, but it is solely the tatooists artwork, with my input and a few suggestions, including two T-shirts that I brought in. The cover up piece was very limited for me. I could pretty much only get wildlife (um, that is what I am trying to cover up), dragons, no, snakes, no, or a skull. Well, skull it is. I had wanted that all along, but my wife talked me out of it. Well, he talked me right back into it, and I am glad that I listened to him.

ETA: This is one of the shirts that I have, just in white, not black.
A250.gif

otep1760

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2007
yeah, i knew you didnt copy. i wasnt implying you did.

i was just saying the tattoos are strangely similar

Heavy Fluid

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2008
yeah, i knew you didnt copy. i wasnt implying you did.

i was just saying the tattoos are strangely similar

They are pretty similar, the coloring, and the eyes. I was going for more of a static look, with interference on the skulls face, but it didn't quite turn out how I wanted, or how he wanted, so he stopped messing with it. He originally did a more green color for the eyes, then decided that it looked like crap, and went with a toned down red, almost like blood.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.