Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jjahshik32

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 4, 2006
I just decided to start this thread because I noticed that almost all pc users despise or hate mac users and apple all together.

This is really apparent in real life as well. I brought over my macbook pro 17" to my friends house and asked one of the roommates to use their internet but apparently they turn off wifi or supposedly they do because I asked my friend if I could use his wifi.

Anways my friend tells me its the linksys and gives me the password for his wpa and it wouldnt work. Then I go into asking his roommate if the password is right and tells me that its correct yet it wont let me connect. Then he tells me that everything is used ethernet at the place while their nintendo wii is on wifi.. hmm..

Anyways long story short, I just gave up with the whole wifi thing and my friend told me he doesnt control the linksys or dont know how to and that his roommate does. So after just carrying the 17" around watching some videos I d/led and showing other friends some funny clips and when it was time to go home I looked for my waterfield sleeve to put the mbp back in and found out the roommate spilled some water on purpose on my sleeve... What an *******.

Its like the most passive way to tell me to go **** yourself.

Well that's one of my stories of being hated on for just using a mac.. did I ever tell any of them that my mac is better than their dell that they were using?? NO, did I use a passive way to tell them that i'm surperior, NO. I just came over to my friends to just use my laptop while just hanging out/lounging.

If I brought over a dell or sony I'm sure the roommates would welcome me more and just oOo and AhH me. And these guys dont really care about computers either, all have old desktop computers just to d/l torrent files.

Luckily I wiped off the spilt water or whatever drink it was off of my waterfield bag and is fine but anyone else care to share personal experiences of why people hate mac or mac users?

acfusion29

macrumors 68040
Nov 8, 2007
Toronto
People's excuse is always "Macs can't play games and if they do it's not as well as PCs"

My response:

First off, they can play games... run bootcamp and install some games, they work fine. Also, who the **** plays video games all their life? Is that the only excuse you can come up with cause it's the only one that's "kinda" valid, and they know that's the only big point against Macs.

(Side note, kinda OT. I could care less about playing video games on PCs anyways. PS3, 360 and Wii's are made for a reason, and are good since you don't have to update your video card everytime a new game comes out.)

Anyways back on topic..
Everything else they say makes them look so ignorant. "Oh well, you can't even do school work on your Mac blah blah blah"

:)

jjahshik32

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 4, 2006
People's excuse is always "Macs can't play games and if they do it's not as well as PCs"

My response:

First off, they can play games... run bootcamp and install some games, they work fine. Also, who the **** plays video games all their life? Is that the only excuse you can come up with cause it's the only one that's "kinda" valid, and they know that's the only big point against Macs.

(Side note, kinda OT. I could care less about playing video games on PCs anyways. PS3, 360 and Wii's are made for a reason, and are good since you don't have to update your video card everytime a new game comes out.)

Anyways back on topic..
Everything else they say makes them look so ignorant. "Oh well, you can't even do school work on your Mac blah blah blah"

I guess the only reason alot of the mac users tend to flare back is because the pc users just start that flame.

I mean a mac user just quietly uses their laptop and people just come up and look at you like and even sometimes tells you macs sucks.

And most of the time we dont even think anything just using our notebooks and actually enjoying it. But when you get pushed of course you'll automatically fight back.

Its fine if you buy a pc to play the games that you want and want to squeeze out all the specs of the game, but then there are people like you and me that only do moderately gaming that the mbp can do very well while 90% of the time we do everything else.

revenuee

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2003
I've got mad hate for Windows Users -- at this point --- mostly just latent hate that i carry over from my win 98 days when i made the switch -- although my win xp rig was pretty glitchy at the office

I think it's just mostly latent for everyone ... kinda like religions fighting -- no one really knows why they're fighting ... they just know they're supposed too

gehrbox

macrumors 65816
Jul 5, 2007
Charleston,SC
I just decided to start this thread because I noticed that almost all pc users despise or hate mac users and apple all together.

You join a minority when you buy a Mac. Many view people that own Mac's as prema donna's. When you show them the features in OS X, they think you are talking down to them.

Mac users also tend to tout the Apple experience they have had in an attempt to win over converts.

You get similar results when you mix Linux and Windows users together.

jjahshik32

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 4, 2006
I've got mad hate for Windows Users -- at this point --- mostly just latent hate that i carry over from my win 98 days when i made the switch -- although my win xp rig was pretty glitchy at the office

I think it's just mostly latent for everyone ... kinda like religions fighting -- no one really knows why they're fighting ... they just know they're supposed too

Good point, most of the time online or in person, most pc users will just say macs sucks and pc are better because it can do more than macs.. apparently more really means gaming because the 3 years I've been using osx.. I found myself using and learning to use sooo many more programs than I ever did with windows 95,98,2000,xp,vista.

You join a minority when you buy a Mac. Many view people that own Mac's as prema donna's. When you show them the features in OS X, they think you are talking down to them.

Mac users also tend to tout the Apple experience they have had in an attempt to win over converts.

You get similar results when you mix Linux and Windows users together.

I think alot of pc people take offense the wrong way. The only reason why us mac users "show off" the features of osx is because were just amazed by how beautiful and easy it works.

Not because were trying to tell them that were better than they are, its usually because were excited you know sometimes when you buy a new hdtv or a new car you want to show it off to friends kind of thing. Just excitement, just some people dont take it that way.

Also one thing that bugs me is that many pc users always use that macs are overpriced for what you get and the hardware is too expensive... I know that dell gives out coupons sometimes per month and you can get great deals.. but its just the whole experience is much different, even though you can do the same thing.

And what really bothers me is that there are alienware and xps laptops that are in the $5000+ price and they complain how expensive apple laptops are. I mean for $5000 you get a 10-15 more fps in a video game that will run just fine on a $2500 mbp... I mean.. c'mon.

Queen of Spades

macrumors 68030
May 9, 2008
The Iron Throne
Unfortunately a lot of the hate comes from the superior attitude mac users have at times. I'm a recent switcher, and the attitude of fanboys really got on my nerves when I was a PC user. Now I wish PC people would shut the hell up about it as well. The thing people forget is: most normal people don't give a rat's what computer you decide to use. It has no effect on me whatsoever.

I'm happy with my mac, I love it, but I don't feel the need to be pushy and speak gospel about how it's better than a PC.

Spilling water is not cool, I probably would have had to say something about that. Talk about being insecure and passive aggressive. Bottom line is people need to get lives and stop acting like this is a war for supremacy. :)

gehrbox

macrumors 65816
Jul 5, 2007
Charleston,SC
I think alot of pc people take offense the wrong way. The only reason why us mac users "show off" the features of osx is because were just amazed by how beautiful and easy it works.

Not because were trying to tell them that were better than you are, its usually because were excited you know sometimes when you buy a new hdtv or a new car you want to show it off to friends kind of thing. Just excitement, just some people dont take it that way.

They look at you as a fanboy, not a salesman or a teacher.

jjahshik32

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 4, 2006
Unfortunately a lot of the hate comes from the superior attitude mac users have at times. I'm a recent switcher, and the attitude of fanboys really got on my nerves when I was a PC user. Now I wish PC people would shut the hell up about it as well. The thing people forget is: most normal people don't give a rat's what computer you decide to use. It has no effect on me whatsoever.

I'm happy with my mac, I love it, but I don't feel the need to be pushy and speak gospel about how it's better than a PC.

Spilling water is not cool, I probably would have had to say something about that. Talk about being insecure and passive aggressive. Bottom line is people need to get lives and stop acting like this is a war for supremacy. :)

That's the thing though, I didnt even say or do anything except wanting to use my friend's wifi. Clearly the linksys that I found was his, yet the roommate changed the password recently and lied to me that they dont have wifi on... and their wii was online via wifi..

Anyways I dont really care if people use dells or whatever desktops as long as it works for them. I never tried to show them the features or tell them why they should switch.. I just brought it over so that I could use it.

This is the problem though, most of the time I dont do anything to provoke the pc user but then they do it automatically just because I'm using a mac.

I just dont know what it is.. most of the time at even on campus or out somewhere and even at friend's place when people come over and just look at me using a mac, automatically I just know what their thinking by them hinting in a passive agressive way.. its like c'mon its just another computer!! Let me use it in peace!!

One thing to note is that one time someone even asked me to show them a feature that the read about online on osx... I just show it to them, they try it and they clearly tell me wow that's really not that great from what I've read from.. not a big deal and way too expensive~ Wow its just like what an *******. I dont go using their sony or dell and tell them it didnt work out as well as I thought and call their laptop a piece of crap~

rontheancient

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2005
USA
Sometimes I feel PC users pick on Mac just because they are different than what they are used to, and that goes for us Mac users to, we sometimes pick on Windows just because they are different than the Mac computing environment that we are used to.

But what gets me is the nitpicking that each side has towards the other. I can only speak for my Mac experiences, but I am sure I do nitpick sometimes on Windows. Once, a pro-PC guy I know pulled a smart-a** remark about the "It Just Works" Mac slogan when another friend and I were having trouble getting Quicktime to do full-screen on a secondary display. Another is how he made judgment on my iPhone solely by seeing me jostle the thing in my hand in order to reach a far point on the screen (which was probably due to the iSkin I was using).

acfusion29 has a good point with the whole games argument. I use a PC/Boot Camp for what little gaming I do (Flight Simulator), and I use a Mac for everything else because it allows me to be more productive in my studies and work. The argument that Macs cant play games is false, and is based on childish needs and mismatched priorities.

The one thing I do like now is the increased interaction between the two platforms, with MobileMe, I can now sync all my stuff across platforms and apps, which is great living in a Windows home and office.

Queen of Spades

macrumors 68030
May 9, 2008
The Iron Throne
It's weird, because at this point, my school has quite a bit of mac users. I won't say they outnumber the PC users, but it's way more than ever. I'm at a summer program in Sydney and out of us 14 students, 11 use a mac. So it's not quite the minority, special people club people make it out to be. Apple's market share is slowly growing.

eyespii

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2008
Macs are more $$ than PCs. Owning and using a mac (especially that $3000+ MBP in your sig) means that you have that much spare scratch lying around to spend on a computer that doesn't do too much more than a similarly equipped $1500 PC. Waterfield bags isn't your run of the mill $30 targus either, is it?

Lots of people don't appreciate computers and technology the way many members of this forum do, and they see a mac as simply a $3000 computer (easily a few months rent more than a regular PC). You have to be prepared to take some ribbing from the less mature PC people running old desktops.

Buying a mac is almost akin to buying a luxury car. The luxury car won't necessarily get you where you're going any faster, but you'll look and feel better getting there :).

iknowyourider

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2008
onanorthboundtrain
Closed-minded people are generally afraid of what they don't understand. Hate is their response or reaction to the strong positive (bold) vibe that comes from the presence or mention of an apple computer.

Reactions: TBoneMac

FX120

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2007
Have you ever considered that maybe it's because you're a **** and not because of the type of computer you use that makes them dislike you?

Obviously I have no clue as to what your personality is like, but I find it far fetched that the only reason they dislike you is because of the brand of your computer.

Decrepit

macrumors 65816
Sep 6, 2007
Foothills to the Rocky Mountains
Mac people can be a little cultish.

Look at the number of people with the same brand / model of desk. The number of folks who ask where to buy a lamp that somebody has and then they go get it.

Look at the number of people who seem to be able to afford to buy a computer and leave it in the box for two weeks while they wait to see if something else is released.

Or the number of people who come here looking for absolution as they try to figure out a way to scam an educational discount.

Me? I'm agnostic. I love my Mac Mini and use it for my daily driver. I have an overpowered PC for gaming. I teach Linux. Everything has its place.

I think you'd be hard pressed to find professionals with any other product that are willing to take pictures of their home computer and create threads with hundreds of posts to show it off.

• Haha

rev316

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2004
Out of all the criticism I've received over the years, my current opinion is just plain ignorance. I can easily understand why someone might prefer Windows or Linux. I guess a lot of Mac users (I do) like to share our great experiences with these machines to an extent that the ones who don't may be offended.

I remember a colleague of mine went off on a rant with the main reason being "the lack of the right click function". Nothing to do there but shake your head.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
They hate Macs for the same reason any idiot would hate something, they don't know anything about it, they don't care to do research about it, and they'd rather insult it/make up their own facts and opinions about it/and tell everyone else to stay away from it.

Been that way since the beginning of time, and picked up momentum around the 14th century in Europe then America. Doesn't look like it's going to stop anytime soon. :rolleyes:

David G.

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2007
Alaska
Engadget reports about a study by Mindset Media and Nielson reports that "the conclusion of a recent study conducted by Mindset Media and Nielsen Research, which evaluated the "mindsets" of 25,000 American adults and found that technology fans scored high on such traits as leadership, "dynamism" and assertiveness, but had low marks in modesty and could be perceived as arrogant and conceited by others." My emphasis added

Perhaps it is just tech fans in general?

jjahshik32

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 4, 2006
Have you ever considered that maybe it's because you're a **** and not because of the type of computer you use that makes them dislike you?

Obviously I have no clue as to what your personality is like, but I find it far fetched that the only reason they dislike you is because of the brand of your computer.

Everyone can hate any personality but I havnt done anything for that attack. I asked my friend for the wifi he told me password might have changed ask roomy, he handles that stuff, I asked the roomy if I could please have the password and just told me that there is no wifi. But then my friend was like the wii gets wifi though.. but he doesnt know much about networking so I just left it at that and didnt ask about the wifi anymore.

The whole point is I just asked the roomy for the password and havnt said anything else since he's in his own room.

yeroen

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Well in my experience, those who are Windows enthusiasts, as distinguished from the lumpen know-nothing masses of Dell Best Buy shoppers, do tend to be dorks whose fondest, most forlorn wish is to write .NET middleware crapware for some corporate entity that'll treat them like hired help.

Pure Mac users are in turn undone by their preciosity. They like to wear scarves indoors, type everything in lowercase, and listen to twee.

heatmiser

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2007
I've got no problem with Mac users in real life, but Mac users on line can be some of the most annoying people throughout the internets. I always say I bought a Macbook in spite of the Mac community, rather than because of it. It's quite possible you were just paying for the hard times other Mac users had given them before. That's no justification, of course, but as someone who's extensively used both PCs and Macs, all things considered, there does seem to be a greater undercurrent of snobbishness in the Mac community than in the PC community. It's sort of the way people who shop at specialized clothing lines are more likely to look down on people who buy clothes at Walmart than the average person in the population.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Everyone can hate any personality but I havnt done anything for that attack. I asked my friend for the wifi he told me password might have changed ask roomy, he handles that stuff, I asked the roomy if I could please have the password and just told me that there is no wifi. But then my friend was like the wii gets wifi though.. but he doesnt know much about networking so I just left it at that and didnt ask about the wifi anymore.

First off, I can't see how these 2 are your friends...

Now we Mac people are one big f***ing clique; we are happy, we help one another, we have lives to live and worlds to conquer; our OS doesn't have issues, so we can be happy and do fun stuff like create movies; non-mac users have a s***load of problems and they are pissed all day that their computer just lost all their work and they have no lives to live; they know they are insufficient peoples, but they are cowards unable to take the pain, so they find a scapegoat for all their problems.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Or maybe the roomy dislikes outside laptops allowed at his place??

I don't know about you, but if my friends don't vandalize my stuff, flat out lie about stuff, and be a total d**k; sure my will play jokes at the right moment, lie to hide something they did, but that's as far as friends do.

jjahshik32

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 4, 2006
I think you'd be hard pressed to find professionals with any other product that are willing to take pictures of their home computer and create threads with hundreds of posts to show it off.

Yea, its not only a mac thing to show off the rig. I belong in the htguide forums and there are people in there that shows off their 50k home theatre and its a HUGE thread. There's also even ps3 forums where people show off their rigs including their ps3, I've seen plenty at dell as well. I guess everyone wants to show off their stuff online..

I don't know about you, but if my friends don't vandalize my stuff, flat out lie about stuff, and be a total d**k; sure my will play jokes at the right moment, lie to hide something they did, but that's as far as friends do.

My friend has no problem with my notebook, he actually asked to use it and just played around with it. But his roommate just had the problem, usually I see them all as nice guys, I guess you cant really know a person.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.