Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

whitehexagon

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 12, 2007
I have some files that have an association I want to remove. I also don't have an alternative association which would be easier. Anyway to remove the associations with a file type?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I have some files that have an association I want to remove. I also don't have an alternative association which would be easier. Anyway to remove the associations with a file type?

So if you don't have an alternate application you want to use with those files, how will you open them? What would be the purpose of eliminating a file association without replacing it with another? To change them is simple: Get Info on a file of that type and change the "Open with" to whatever application you choose.

whitehexagon

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 12, 2007
I have quite some binary data files kicking around that are associated with all kinds of weird and incorrect applications, I can't really open these files, or associate them with another application, so I just want to remove the current faulty associations.

kanenas

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2008
"Launch Manager" holds the key

"Launch Manager" is responsible for opening files based on associations. Launch Manager settings are held in ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.LaunchServices.plist. Some associations are cached in /Library/Caches/com.apple.LaunchServices*.csstore (the exact name varies with OS version). To remove the offending association:
  1. rename/move the cache(s) (you could delete, but a rename/move is safer)
  2. restart
  3. open the LaunchServices preferences in the Property List Editor
  4. search for and remove the association for the binary files.

It's possible there's another location where file associations are stored, but I don't know where it is if it exists.

kanenas

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2008
RCPrefPane is the better solution

I had to leave before finishing my post about editing com.apple.LaunchServices.plist (in particular, notes about Property List Editor being in the Development tools on the OSX DVDs). As RCPrefPane includes a "<disable>" option for file extension associations, it's much better than my mucking about with plists.

udance4ever

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2005
thanks for the pointer to RCDefaultApp - I'm a bit confused as to how to remove associations done through the Info pane in the Finder.

I don't see anything to "revoke" the application - if I click "Other..." - it asks me to point it to another application.

not urgent, just thought I'd clean up an association that didn't work out as I expected...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.