Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

manitoubalck

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 17, 2003
Adelaide, Australia
The Gigabyte GA-K8NNXP-940 for Athlon 64 FX with the NForce3 Pro chipset now supports FW800.

"Industries first IEEE1394b motherboard
This platform is the first motherboard with IEEE1394b FireWire interface from Texas Instruments (TI). With the transfer speed up to 800Mb/s, the new generation IEEE1394b interface further enhances PC connectivity with consumer electronics audio/video (A/V) appliances, and storage peripherals."

check out "www.giga-byte.com/MotherBoard/Products/Products_GA-K8NNXP-940.htm#"

Attachments

• icon_ieee1394b_200.gif
    icon_ieee1394b_200.gif
    4.4 KB · Views: 689

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
Actually, I find this post quite interesting.

Both because it means that we're likely to start seeing a few more FW800 devices being released, and because it points to at least one area we Mac users seem to be quite a ways ahead of the technology curve.

Not that PC users couldn't buy a FW800 card, but built in has a cache.

Rezet

macrumors 6502a
Well manit is a PC fan, didn't you notice that already!? To be more exact an AMD fan. he is here for the kicks. Collect info, argue. (Kinda like: I'm a liberal but watch fox news for entertainment to see what else those cons. have in their pockets.) But he is alright i guess, as he doesn't really troll.

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
At least the pc people will now shutup about which is faster 400mbits or 480 possible mbits, instead its 800mbits compared to the 480mbits.

Plus this helps FW becoming a standard for the high end, where the mac belongs.

manitoubalck

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 17, 2003
Adelaide, Australia
Originally posted by Rezet
Well manitou is a PC fan, didn't you notice that already!? To be more exact an AMD fan. he is here for the kicks. Collect info, argue. (Kinda like: I'm a liberal but watch fox news for entertainment to see what else those cons. have in their pockets.) But he is alright i guess, as he doesn't really troll.

Cheers, and you've hit the nail on the head. It's more interesting hear on a mac fourm than a PC fourm because most subscribers are die hard mac fans:p I try not to fish, but some of what I have to say is rather daming.

I just thought the subscribers would like to know what else is happening in the computing world. like BTX, PCI Express, etc and now FW800 on a giga-byte motherboard:)

Rezet

macrumors 6502a
Originally posted by manitoubalck
Cheers, and you've hit the nail on the head. It's more interesting hear on a mac fourm than a PC fourm because most subscribers are die hard mac fans:p I try not to fish, but some of what I have to say is rather daming.

I just thought the subscribers would like to know what else is happening in the computing world. like BTX, PCI Express, etc and now FW800 on a giga-byte motherboard:)

Well, I'm quite aware of pc world. And they do have more hardware and software. PC hardware is also superrior to Apple's - speedwise. But PC is stuck in the toilet with Windows OS. Many programs are poorly written and viruses and hacks strangle unsuspecting users.
And speed, To be honest with you, I doubt average user even needs a computer that is faster that 1Ghz PIII. Even if I got a P4 3.5 ghz right now, i wouldnt use even half of its speed at most times I'm sure. hardware is overkill now, but having an operating system that works is what most people want.

And you are wrong my friend. People here seem to be more civilized and accepting of other ideas and (computers for that matter). Noone will argue that PC are probably still faster.
But if you go to a pc forum or frankly anywhere where some ignorant teens like to get together and say that you use a mac, the response you get is generic : "Macs suck! I would never get a Mac".
Even though they have never even seen a mac newer than Mac Plus or something.

Cheers.

maxvamp

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2002
Somewhere out there
Well, I'm quite aware of pc world.

Mondo Ditto

Well said REZET.

One other note... I have my macs, and I also have a nice AMD system with an NForce2 MOBO, as well as a couple of nice intel boxes.

I think I can fairly say through everyday experience that the AMD crowd is much better at being hypsters than the Mac folks. For stablility and overall speed (not specific individual tests) I'll take Intel boxes over AMD boxes anyday.

I digress though as I do not want to start any wars here.

Now where is that new G5??

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
I'm glad to see FW 800 making it as a built in option on a PC, it can only lead to a larger adoption of the standard and more FW 800 devices for us to choose from. It is still a pretty small collection to choose from currently because it is only on a limited number of Macs and that's about it.

Dreadnought

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Almere, The Netherlands
Originally posted by Rezet
Well manit is a PC fan, didn't you notice that already!? To be more exact an AMD fan. he is here for the kicks. Collect info, argue. (Kinda like: I'm a liberal but watch fox news for entertainment to see what else those cons. have in their pockets.) But he is alright i guess, as he doesn't really troll.

Well, I didn't see it that way, because Manit is always suggesting a pc option when somebody asks about a macproduct. Sorry Manit!

It's good that the windows world finally is implementing FW800. We'll soon have plenty of choice from manufacturers to plug devices into this port!

maxvamp

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2002
Somewhere out there
P4 over Opteron, That's like saying G4 over G5 in my mind

Manit... you are talking performance in specific areas, I am referring to compatibility and reliability. As a general rule, I have found AMDs ( since the K-6 series ) to have pockets of bad performance, or in the worst cases, incompatibility with applications and hardware. After years of research, I found that it comes down to primarily one thing...optimization.

Many of the apps out there are code optimized specifically for the Intel Procs. If the world were different, AMD could be on top, as apps would be tuned for the AMDs.

A big area where AMD falls short is SSE/SSE2. These are the Altivec equivalents for Intel. The Athlon does not have SSE2, and the Opteron has a much slower SSE2 engine than the P4 simply due to the fact that it is clocked so much slower. For gamers and Video enthusiast on the PC platform, again, the INTEL would still be the way to go. You might say that comparing an Athlon to a P4, when it comes to games and video, would be like comparing a G3 to a G4 or G5. Athlons aren’t up to it for some code like DIVX.

The final reason, I cannot choose AMD as the better chip, is simply the major cooling issue people have had with it. AMDs have in the past almost always been hard to cool, as they put out tons of heat, which directly relates to other components inside the box dying of long-term heat failure. In Apples defense, I have found my PowerMac to excel in reliability simply due to this last issue alone. Intels enjoy a higher amount of engineering in this areas, as most of the big box manufacturers are putting some thought into keeping their boxes cool. Oddly enough, even in the boxes I have seen with the AMD processors in them ( HP and Micron ), there is nowhere the effort put into those machines to keep them cool.

Long and short of this message is that in real world tests, despite all of the hype, AMD has not been able to take over the INTEL world, and many people have found these reasons to be why. AMD does make a decent processor, but like APPLE, there are issues that need to be worked through to get them where they can take over the world. Apple suffers from a feasibility perception, and AMD suffers from some hardware snafus.

I am not a diehard fan of any specific platform for all things, so I try to look at the whole picture, and try to see both the strengths and weaknesses. In reality, there is no perfect platform that will serve absolutely everyone's needs, although Microsoft might tell you otherwise.

Now, back to the point of the thread... With FW800 on the PC platform, look forward to more devices, such as video recorders (maybe TIVOs), and computer peripherals to have this great new(er) interface.

END OF LINE…

Max

benpatient

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2003
the 64 FX is insane.

they have a liquid-cooled, massively overclocked, WARRANTIED version of it that you can buy that runs about the equivalent of a P4 4300mhz in 32-bit mode!

For 1500 dollars you get the case, with built in cooling, the MOBO, and the processor. add 500-900 dollars in stuff, and you have a painfully fast machine. They got 3DMark scores well over 20,000 with that thing...

anyway, about firewire, can i just say that when you guys say "PC's FINALLY have FW800", it makes you look silly. how long have macs had it? a couple months? I'm still trying to get my G3 replaced at work, and you guys are acting like a 3 month old feature is old news.

like PCI-X....you want to talk about being too early...ask some MOTU users what they think about PCI-X...

i can think of plenty of times where the PC guys had stuff before we did...USB 2.0, SATA, any graphics card worth mentioning, hardware-based surround sound, etc.

leet1

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2003
Originally posted by benpatient
the 64 FX is insane.

they have a liquid-cooled, massively overclocked, WARRANTIED version of it that you can buy that runs about the equivalent of a P4 4300mhz in 32-bit mode!

:eek: equal to a 4300mhz p4! wow

manitoubalck

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 17, 2003
Adelaide, Australia
No one has a P4 @4.3GHz to my knowlege so don't make such claims. I am an AMD fan but I don't go around wild accusations about their speed.

Also I never said PC's finally have FW800, I just said that Apple no longer have a FW800 exclucive.

leet1

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2003
Originally posted by manitoubalck
No one has a P4 @4.3GHz to my knowlege so don't make such claims. I am an AMD fan but I don't go around wild accusations about their speed.

Think it was just an estimate man ;)

maxvamp

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2002
Somewhere out there

Funny enough, I do drop into those sites every once in a while, but I must admit that I have not been to either lately.

I rarely look to Tom's Hardware for AMD tests, because I feel that they are somewhat biased towards INTEL. I take thier info on AMD like I take Charlie White's info and reporting on Macs. I have found AMDZONE.com to be a pretty good place to get some fair AMD info to balance against the INTEL tests on Tom's.

Max

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.