Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kenya

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2006
San Francisco Bay Area
Wow, it looks great. I'm glad I only came upon the thread today; I don't know if I could have taken the suspense for a couple of days. I like that its not all one shade of orange. It looks custom and it looks great. Congrats!

I always wanted to do my MBP. Maybe I'll send it to Colorware when I get my new iMac.

maverickem09

macrumors member
May 3, 2008
Im still waiting on getting a BlackBook topcase before I can call this finished, but here is a couple pictures of it with the white one.

img0074vu9.jpg

img0075vm5.jpg

You know... I kinda like the white palm rests... It looks really clean with the white apple on the back.

I think if you change the palm rests you should change the apple to black as well. It would accent the black palm rests nicely.

SchneiderMan

macrumors G3
May 25, 2008
im going to do this, get some carbon fiber and stick it to the macbook, really easy and gives you extra protection
, just need a hair dryer

carbon-fibre-macbook_011.jpg

cost about, $50 for top and inside
if you have a blackbook its better

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 21, 2007
Wow. Amazing job!

I can't believe you went through with it. I wonder if this is how color-ware does it?

Colorware uses paint that goes over the white plastic; I used dye that colors the plastic itself.

Does it power up? :) Thats amazing. I think I like the white more than I would black...
Oh, and I'm interested to see that thing booted up and running too. Not doubting, just curious.
It powers up, but doesn't boot. Don't worry, I know what's wrong (and it isn't related to this project, something else I was doing before...)
Ill have pictures of it running next week, about the same time I'm getting the black topcase.

You know... I kinda like the white palm rests... It looks really clean with the white apple on the back.

I think if you change the palm rests you should change the apple to black as well. It would accent the black palm rests nicely.
I also plan on getting a black color jel from a friend of mine to put against the LCD black, should match good! Im also going to try if the rainbow apple logo from icolours.ca would look good in the yellow case, I had it in there before it was yellow.

It turned out pretty cool. Here is a link to pictures of a laptop I had someone fix up special for me...
My special project:D

If only they matched... :p Iv'e also got to take a picture of all my Apple stuff after Im done, I have quite a collection!
img0078xq6.jpg

heatmiser

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2007

Looking at that picture reminds me of just how much cooler the g3s were than anything Apple has made since (with the possible exception of the Tibook). If it were possible to buy clamshells with modern stats (c2d, etc), I'd ditch the Macbook in a heartbeat.

funkybunk

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2008
You could always buy one, update the RAM, hard drive etc. to suit your needs. The only problem is knowing how much it would be able to read, so you could look around for that.
I'm planning on getting an iMac G3 and updating the hard drive at least, because let's face it. Apple puts tiny hard drives in their products.

Osarkon

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2006
Wales
Just out of curiosity, why has one of the F keys still been left off, even after completely re-assembling the machine?

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
Looking at that picture reminds me of just how much cooler the g3s were than anything Apple has made since (with the possible exception of the Tibook). If it were possible to buy clamshells with modern stats (c2d, etc), I'd ditch the Macbook in a heartbeat.

ugh, no! The clamshells were cute at the time, but they're dreadful compared to apple's modern offerings.

To the OP, great job! No way I'd have the guts to do that to my macbook, but I think your results are quite impressive!

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 21, 2007
Just out of curiosity, why has one of the F keys still been left off, even after completely re-assembling the machine?

The F6 key actually is the num lock key, and has a light under the key when pressed (like caps lock). I attached it since then, but there was a clear part under it that it needed to glued back on.

img0080ok5.jpg

I'm (hopefully) going to fix it tomorrow and get it running, we will see.

MacHappytjg

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2008
Winnipeg
ugh, no! The clamshells were cute at the time, but they're dreadful compared to apple's modern offerings.

To the OP, great job! No way I'd have the guts to do that to my macbook, but I think your results are quite impressive!

yeA AS IN preformance otherwise the design and look were awsome

brandon826

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2008

I agree. The MacBooks are so much more streamlined and sleek than the clamshells and the iBook G4. I love the square shape and the fact that they got rid of the gray from the G4s. The clamshells had too much going on IMHO, but Apple should offer MacBooks in more solid colors besides white and black or some cool striped patterns because although they are sleek they can be a little boring sometimes... That would be awesome!! (Like the same colors as the Nano perhaps...) :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.