Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TechNutt

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 1, 2007
Okay, this situation is very new to me as I have a dead iPod, it seems. I've tried looking for solutions on forums and on the internet but nothing is working. I've tried to reset the iPod by toggling the hold switch and holding the menu and select buttons, but the iPod is completely unresponsive to anything! The scroll wheel or any buttons / human touches does absolutely NOTHING! :mad:

Since nothing has worked with the reset, I tried to restore the iPod via iTunes. When I go back to the iPod, it is STILL stuck on the "language" screen. I don't get it since it responds when I plug it into iTunes. I can put music on it and restore it, at least it seems so. After disconnecting it from iTunes and pressing ANY button on the iPod, I get no response. Only when I switch the hold toggle back and forth do I get any sort of reaction.

I'm using a Macbook Pro with iTunes 7.6.2 (I just uninstalled and reinstalled but that didn't help). I'm using Tiger 10.4.11. My iPod nano is a 1G 2nd Generation, also with updated software.

To recap:

reset, restore, and iTunes re-installation has not worked to get my iPod unfrozen. It is still stuck on the "language" menu. :( Please help me ..... I'm sure there is something that can be done that I have not tried.

Any help on this issue of mine is GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks.

TechNutt

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 1, 2007
Really? I'm pretty sure the battery was drained all the way down. How do you do a hard reset on it besides what I've done already?

Gee

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2004
London, UK
Really? I'm pretty sure the battery was drained all the way down. How do you do a hard reset on it besides what I've done already?

You seem to have tried all the options; I just thought that if it was hanging at a particular point, then 'restarting' might help, and iPods never really seem to switch off completely unless they're out of juice. Hence let the battery drain out, then charge it up again.

However, it sounds like your click wheel is dead.

TechNutt

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 1, 2007
Before I charged it, it was frozen. My friend was using it on his PC, and for a long while it was working great! It wasn't used for about 2 months and then he said there was no charge. So, naturally, he tried to charge it with his pc using a USB cable. That's when my friend gave it to me to try and fix but nothing is working.

UPDATE: Even when I toggle the hold switch, I get no response. Not one press / human touch is doing anything. Zero response! This is just getting weirder and more frustrating by the moment. Granted, this 1 Gb nano is just probably $60 to replace if that, but now it's a matter of principle.

For the record, I don't like Mac products (I :apple: Macs) being used with PCs, but I understand the necessity for it. I've never had any problems with my iPods or anything else used with my PB Pro.

TechNutt

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 1, 2007
Update 2:

Also, what is really peculiar to me is that the ipod had a FULL charge 2 days ago, but now it seems like it has no charge. And with no use, except to get it to reset this whole time! Maybe that's why the hold toggle is not doing anything for me right now?

Does anyone have any suggestions because this is driving me up the wall? :confused::confused::confused:

Thanks!

thunderclap

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2003
My wife's iPod Nano just started having the same problem. I restored the factory settings but it did no good. I can hold down the menu button and the select button and restart the iPod but once it reboots it hangs. She's angry and rightly so. Not sure how to fix it.

thunderclap

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2003
Okay. Someone posted a "fix" on another forum that I tried and it worked. You ready for this? Tape. Scotch tape or clear packing tape. Cover the scroll wheel making sure there are no air bubbles and then try. Worked for me. Sort of a haphazard way to fix it but it works.

Someone else tried clear nail polish and claims it worked too.

TechNutt

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 1, 2007
Okay. Someone posted a "fix" on another forum that I tried and it worked. You ready for this? Tape. Scotch tape or clear packing tape. Cover the scroll wheel making sure there are no air bubbles and then try. Worked for me. Sort of a haphazard way to fix it but it works.

Someone else tried clear nail polish and claims it worked too.

What? :confused: That works. Did they have the same problem where the language screen is frozen and nothing else works? I'll try it, but it does seem like a stretch. Thanks for the tip......I appreciate any help. I'll report back if it's yea or nay.

Thanks again.

01jamcon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2006
London
Uhm, seriously don't see how that could work, seeing as it does sound like a hardware failure. I have no idea how the little iPod nano is laid out inside (although you could have a look on ifixit), but with my old iPod photo, I found that a connector connecting the hold switch to the logic board had come undone and it was a simple matter of slotting it back into place. Seeing as the nano is so small, even if you were willing to open it up, it would probably require some resoldering or something. I suggest you buy a new one sorry, because the iPod bar won't be willing to do anything for an old product unless you have Applecare, and its just not worth paying to fix it.

thunderclap

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2003
Uhm, seriously don't see how that could work, seeing as it does sound like a hardware failure.

All I know is that the iPod touch wheel and buttons became unresponsive (except when resetting it). Someone recommended tape over the wheel and for lack of anything else to try... I tried. And it worked. Not sure what to tell you. The person who posted the suggestion claims it works similar to the InvisibleShield protector.

thunderclap

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2003
What? :confused: That works. Did they have the same problem where the language screen is frozen and nothing else works? I'll try it, but it does seem like a stretch. Thanks for the tip......I appreciate any help. I'll report back if it's yea or nay.

Can you hold down the Menu and Select button's and reset the iPod only to have it bring the language screen up? If you can do that then we had to same problem. The original blog with comments that suggested scotch tape is here. Search for the 4 step process from CALVIN. He says to wet the sticky side (I didn't) but he explains how it fixes the problem. A few comments down someone else recommended the nail polish.

So I'm not making it up, if that's what you were thinking. I was also as skeptical as you but if your iPod isn't working what harm is there sticking some tape on the wheel?

Tom B.

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2006
London
If it is a software problem, you could try using Disk Utility to completely wipe the iPod's memory, and then restore it in iTunes.

TechNutt

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 1, 2007
Ok, I'm going to try the Sticky Tape thing....but first wet it a little bit to get all the air bubbles out. If that works, I'll take off the tape and use nail polish since I don't want to keep tape on the ipod. It would look tacky.

If that doesn't work, I'm going to try wiping out the memory completely using Disk Utility. I'm sure there are instructions somewhere how to do that.

If nothing else works, I'm going to take it apart completely and see if I can clean it up somehow under the click wheel or see if some sort of wire is disconnected.

We'll see what happens. I'm bound and determined to get it working again. Thanks to everyone that has posted their problems and solutions. EVERYTHING is appreciated.

Thanks again, and wish me luck.

Rahsten

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2007
Japan
My wife's iPod Nano just started having this same problem. TechNutt, how did the scotch tape work. I really would like to fix this but can't seem to find anything other than the scotch tape idea...would like to hear about this working for some other people.

:apple:

thunderclap

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2003
Since my wife doesn't want to keep the tape on her iPod Nano I ordered the invisibleSHIELD from ZAGG for the iPod Nano. Looks like it might do the same thing but make it look a little nicer. That might be another option for you.

TechNutt

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 1, 2007
I tried the tape trick. It didn't work...

Must be something disconnected inside.:apple:

Rahsten, the tape trick didn't work at all for me. All I got was sticky miss afterwards. Now I need some Goo Gone to get rid of that. :(

I'm not sure of my next move but I am not giving up.

Rahsten

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2007
Japan
Lol, yeah... i had a gooey tape mess too.

I'm not giving up also. I can see it light up when I toggle the Hold switch and it still lets me reset it....so it's really odd that the click wheel isn't responding to other actions.

I'm just going to put it in a drawer until a fix comes along. Until then, it's back to humming to myself as I walk or cycle.

Heathen

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2008
NYC suburbia
Lol, yeah... i had a gooey tape mess too.

I'm not giving up also. I can see it light up when I toggle the Hold switch and it still lets me reset it....so it's really odd that the click wheel isn't responding to other actions.

I'm just going to put it in a drawer until a fix comes along. Until then, it's back to humming to myself as I walk or cycle.

I'm not much for humming so I've been using my old Creative Nomad II (too small capacity, but I've never had such a sturdy, reliable mp3 player since (great sound, too). I'm new here, but saw your problem. You're stuck on the language screen? Maybe it isn't the clickwheel. I have a 2nd gen 8Gb nano which also was stuck on the language screen after being restored.

Is yours locked? Is there a lock icon in the upper left corner of the screen? If you hadn't locked it, hadn't used the hold button, you may not even have looked at this. Makes no difference. I might have used the hold button twice in the almost 2 yrs I've had it. I never used the password lock function. Mine decided to lock itself. No reset/restore, no toggling of the hold button, no connecting to itunes, portable speakers, ac charge (or any combination of the above) worked.

I did manage to move off the language screen. I pulled the USB connector out of the computer while still keeping it attached to the nano. The screen flashed warning signs until the battery ran out about 6 hrs later. I plugged it back into the computer. By then the lock was flashing. It continued to flash & I pressed the clickwheel changing the language screen & jumping immediately into playing the 1st playlist. The lock still flashed, the playlist skipped. I couldn't change anything else or stop the playlist, so I reset. The lock reappeared, and the nano was stuck on lock again.

I'm going to try manually opening up the nano near the lock mechanism and messing with it according to the suggestions found in this forum at https://forums.macrumors.com/archive/index.php/t-99928.html. If yours is also locked, this might work for you, too. Good luck :)

Heathen

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2008
NYC suburbia
I'm going to try manually opening up the nano near the lock mechanism and messing with it according to the suggestions found in this forum at https://forums.macrumors.com/archive/index.php/t-99928.html. If yours is also locked, this might work for you, too. Good luck :)

I opened up the case on the hold button side (using an exacto knife), slid the hold button, but it remains locked. Its also not responding to any poking and prodding as described in the post mentioned above. Resetting changes nothing, it's still locked. I hope you have better luck. As for me, I'm never buying an ipod again :(

8tracker1

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2009
It WORKS!!!

I have Nano 4gb, got it off ebay and had the stupid thing hanging up on the language screen, stuck. I had spent 2 days looking for answers, tried 3 other click wheels, fully charged and no luck. Found the tape idea here and it friggin' worked!!! COOL, Thank you to that person! I just wonder how do people come up with these ideas????

Xajen

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2010
Solution

I had the same problem.

I would restore, etc.. reboot the ipod, all those things.

When it would come up to select the language, it would not accept any input from me other then rebooting it.

I read all over the place, didn't find anything to help.

Finally...

I held the ipod in my right hand, holding the screen side with screen facing up.
Then I slapped it on my leg, like a whipping/flipping action.

Next thing I know, everything worked again!

AngusMR

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2010

Finally...

I held the ipod in my right hand, holding the screen side with screen facing up.
Then I slapped it on my leg, like a whipping/flipping action.

Next thing I know, everything worked again!
I have a 16GB Nano 4G that had the same problem up to a few minutes ago.
I had thought it may be a bad connection but holding Menu+Select was resetting it so it couldn't be.

Out of desperation I followed your instructions...

It worked! :D

Xajen, you should apply for a job at Mac. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.