Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Holla.

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 22, 2008
Hey guys,

I was wondering if you could help me.
I have an iBook G4 1.33 Ghz and 512 RAM, I'll be upgrading my mac I've decided this time next year, before going to university.
In the mean time, could you give me some suggestions as to how to upgrade my iBook, in terms of software, hardware, etc. to keep me going for another year.

My most common tasks are making music, very minor photo editing, web browsing, and I have large music and photo libraries.

What changes could I make to improve my iBooks quality of life (and mine) for the time being?

Thanks for your help!

iMav

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2008
Columbus, WI
Max out the ram and put in a bigger/faster hard drive.

I owned a 12" 1.33Ghz iBook and doing the two above upgrades made a world of difference.

The primary reason I sold my iBook was so that I could do virtualization with VMware, Parallels, etc (I primarily use VirtualBox now). The possibilities of Intel were just too tempting.

However, there is not a day that goes by that I don't miss the form factor of my 12" iBook. (although, I'll take the MacBook's keyboard any day)

Holla.

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 22, 2008
Ok, thanks.

Now, I'm not exactly amazing with computers, so I'll certainly figure out the RAM bit. But how does one actually put in a fast/big hard drive.That sounds pretty complex.No?

Holla.

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 22, 2008
Also, not meaning to double post but is my iBook eligible to upgrade to Leopard? I mean, I know a lot of features might be intel based or something?
Fill me in.

ihabime

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2005
It will run leopard fine. This site has instructions on replacing the ram/HD. It's a pretty simple procedure on the G4 iBooks.

And seriously, if you bump it up to 1.5 gigs of ram it will seem like a whole new machine, how could you live on 512 megs :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.