Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cameron08

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 20, 2008
Alabama
Good day and thanks for any suggestions you may have.

Well I plan to buy my first imac within the next 2 weeks.

Here's the problem:

The new imac I want to buy is exactly $1,199 here's the specs:
# 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
# 1GB 800MHz DDR2 SDRAM - 1x1GB
# 250GB Serial ATA Drive
# Apple wireless Mighty Mouse
# Apple Wireless Keyboard (English) + User's Guide
# Accessory kit
# SuperDrive 8x (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
# ATI Radeon HD 2400 XT with 128MB memory
# 20-inch glossy widescreen LCD
# AirPort Extreme
# Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR

I can buy a refurbished one for $1,099.00 with:

Refurbished iMac 20-inch 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
20-inch glossy widescreen display
1GB memory
320GB hard drive
8x SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
ATI Radeon HD 2600 PRO with 256MB memory

I can buy the wireless mouse and keyboard separately and it would make the refurbished imac total $1,247.

I'm not worry about the memory I plan to buy ram from crucial.

But see I really want to the wireless mouse and keyboard, thats the main thing I want. I can buy the refurbished one and get more for my money and then buy the wireless mouse and keyboard separately for more.

Or buy the New imac for more with less specs.

Should I get more for my money and buy the wireless mouse and keybaord separately or just buy the new imac and get everything I need for less specs?

Thanks for helping me think!

-Cam

kiwi031

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2008
New Zealand
The first iMac i got from the store took about 10 mins to boot for the first time, and shortly developed a loud electric buzzing sound from behind the screen... Needless to say, i took it back the next day.

Some nucklehead technician will have 'repaired' it and someone thought they were getting a bargain. For goodness sake, that computer is a nightmare. Faulty as hell. Wouldn't go NEAR it if you paid me.!\!!

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
Personally I would avoid Apples mouse altogether. Since you want Wireless I would propose getting this MS Bluetooth mouse, if you want one with less features and a sleeker look then this Logitech V470 should work great.

I just do not like the design of Apple's mouse. Physically I find them uncomfortable and I do not like the touch sensitivity requiring the lifting of the left finger to right click.

Personally though I would recommend a wired keyboard and mouse. Much more responsive, reliable and cheaper in my opinion.

Thorbjorn

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2008
For what it's worth: I bought a refurb 24" iMac earlier this year and it's been flawless, both in appearance (no sign that it had ever been touched by other human hands) and in performance. Couldn't be happier. I think you'll hear the same from lots of other folks here. It's because of research in the forums here that I had the confidence to go refurb in the first place.

yoppie

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2007
I would go refurb. More bang for the buck and you're covered by the same AppleCare warranty.

SaSaSushi

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2007
Takamatsu, Japan
Some nucklehead technician will have 'repaired' it and someone thought they were getting a bargain. For goodness sake, that computer is a nightmare. Faulty as hell. Wouldn't go NEAR it if you paid me.!\!!

Aside from the plain brown box the refurbs come in they are generally indistinguishable from new machines and are an excellent deal. At any rate they have the exact same one year limited warranty as new machines with the option to add an additional 2 years under Applecare so there is no risk anyway.

Another vote for the refurb. :D

kayjprod

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2006
I bought a refurb Mac Mini- good as new, though the power brick had some light scratches on it and none of the usual sticky plastic protection on it. I more recently bought a refurb iMac and you just couldn't tell it apart from a brand new one.

I'm after a MacPro soon and if I can find a better deal on a higher spec by buying refurb, thats the way I will go. (I don't really think I need an 8core beast if I'm currently managing to use Logic Studio on my 2.2 Core Duo MBP!)

HTH

trevoristight

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2008
Refurb sucks, it defeats the purpose. Right now the penryn imac 2.4 is 1049 compared to brand new with education discount is 1149, wireless mouse and keyboard are 20 and 30 when you buy new, they are 70 and 80 when you buy a refurb, so it's a 100 difference which makes up for the 100 difference in price of the imac, so they're the same price, go for new. The same is true for the 2.66 imac.

Also the one you referenced to is last generation imac 2.4 for 1099 which would be more expensive then the penryn one, just because the video card is 256 instead of 128, if you use intense games or graphic design that matters, but otherwise it doesn't.

I would go with new just because it's the same price as a refurb, depending on if you get educational discount if not i would look into refurb and maybe not get wireless keyboard and mouse, then they are a good deal, especially the 24" ones.

gehrbox

macrumors 65816
Jul 5, 2007
Charleston,SC
Refurb sucks, it defeats the purpose.

If you are $100 shy of enough money for a new one a refurb makes complete sense. I've bought refurb from Apple and it was perfect. No issues at all and used it for years.

I just spent over $2k on a new iMac, but seriously considered a refurb to save money. In the end the idea of finally owning the mythical 3Ghz iMac won over and I had the money.

mBurns

macrumors 6502
Oct 3, 2006
USA
Refurbs don't "suck". Some of the deals aren't deals because they base the discounted price off the original MSRP of the item. You just need to have some sense and do your research before you hit the buy button!

Ozz.Man

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2008
I have bought several items from Apple refurb. 2 of them were faulty and had to go back the rest worked well for ages.

BobZune

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2007
USA
There is nothing wrong with buying refurbished machines from Apple. Apple does have at least one store in Alabama, so they'll have to charge state taxes (appears to be 4%), so you'd have to take that into account (and any shipping charges). The third parties (Amazon, MacMall, ...) won't charge you sales tax, and some offer free shipping, so take that into consideration. The configurations do vary slightly -- the Amazon one comes with 250GB HDD, for instance.

Another source of RAM is OtherWorldComputing/MacSales.

gehrbox

macrumors 65816
Jul 5, 2007
Charleston,SC
Apple does have at least one store in Alabama, so they'll have to charge state taxes (appears to be 4%), so you'd have to take that into account (and any shipping charges).

Apple store online sales tax charges are not based on location of their stores. It's Apple's policy on internet sales to charge state sales tax.
http://store.apple.com/Catalog/US/Images/salespolicies.html#topic-12

It's optional for businesses that do not have a B&M location in the state. I think Apple knows that sooner or later it's going to be required and could create legal issues for uncollected taxes if a state brings suit.
http://www.nolo.com/article.cfm/obj...9-FECA-4AF7-A0E454029D2AEA58/111/277/167/ART/

Every time I make a purchase from Apple online I get hit for sales tax. Apple has no stores in my state South Carolina. The closest Apple store to me is Charlotte, NC. The good news is they are planning on opening an Apple store here next year.

thegoldenmackid

macrumors 604
Dec 29, 2006
dallas, texas
Aside from the plain brown box the refurbs come in they are generally indistinguishable from new machines and are an excellent deal. At any rate they have the exact same one year limited warranty as new machines with the option to add an additional 2 years under Applecare so there is no risk anyway.

Also, there are plenty of people's computers who are faulty when purchased new, not refurb... Let's remember that when these computers get replaced through Apple Care they get replaced by... oh yeah, refurb or "service" machines.

Refurb sucks, it defeats the purpose. Right now the penryn imac 2.4 is 1049 compared to brand new with education discount is 1149, wireless mouse and keyboard are 20 and 30 when you buy new, they are 70 and 80 when you buy a refurb, so it's a 100 difference which makes up for the 100 difference in price of the imac, so they're the same price, go for new. The same is true for the 2.66 imac.

Everyone doesn't have access to the EDU Discount, even some students like those not in higher education

Also the one you referenced to is last generation imac 2.4 for 1099 which would be more expensive then the penryn one, just because the video card is 256 instead of 128, if you use intense games or graphic design that matters, but otherwise it doesn't.

Or maybe having the better video card is better if you say, plan on using iMovie or if you just want your computer to run faster

I would go with new just because it's the same price as a refurb, depending on if you get educational discount if not i would look into refurb and maybe not get wireless keyboard and mouse, then they are a good deal, especially the 24" ones.

So in other words, despite your little incoherent rant on refurbs, for those of that aren't in College or Graduate School, you would get the refurb because you agree that they are a good deal. So, in short, refurbs defeat their purpose as compared to some other special discount Apple tries to give to poor college students.

Going from MacMall or Amazon would solve your problem. They normally are $100 cheaper with a free printer then Apple would be. On top of that, you wouldn't be charged tax, that is more then enough to make up the shipping. Remember, you are getting a new machine. Despite the fact that MacMall's customer service is dreadful, if you buy it, you're still getting your one year of Apple Care.

Cameron08

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 20, 2008
Alabama
More specs all the way. What's the downside to refurb (same warranty, better specs, less money)? Or go with a third party like Amazon or MacMall...
Hi,
Yea I agree, with the refurbished from the new I'll get more hdd space and better monitor. Then buy the 4gb memory at crucial.

The first iMac i got from the store took about 10 mins to boot for the first time, and shortly developed a loud electric buzzing sound from behind the screen... Needless to say, i took it back the next day.

Sorry for that, what apple computer did you buy from the store? imac?

Personally I would avoid Apples mouse altogether. Since you want Wireless I would propose getting this MS Bluetooth mouse, if you want one with less features and a sleeker look then this Logitech V470 should work great.

I just do not like the design of Apple's mouse. Physically I find them uncomfortable and I do not like the touch sensitivity requiring the lifting of the left finger to right click.

Personally though I would recommend a wired keyboard and mouse. Much more responsive, reliable and cheaper in my opinion.

I have friends who've used the mouse and they seem to like it, I don't think I would have any problem with the feel of it. If I buy the refurbished I'll have both wireless and wired keyboard and mouse, because I was planning on buying a wireless keyboard and mouse with the refurbished.

For what it's worth: I bought a refurb 24" iMac earlier this year and it's been flawless, both in appearance (no sign that it had ever been touched by other human hands) and in performance. Couldn't be happier. I think you'll hear the same from lots of other folks here. It's because of research in the forums here that I had the confidence to go refurb in the first place.

Thanks for the feedback. That helps me aswell.

I would go refurb. More bang for the buck and you're covered by the same AppleCare warranty.

Thanks for that, I am probably by the end of this day will buy the refurbished.

Thank you, I'm glad you can get the apple care or I would be lost ):

I bought a refurb Mac Mini- good as new, though the power brick had some light scratches on it and none of the usual sticky plastic protection on it. I more recently bought a refurb iMac and you just couldn't tell it apart from a brand new one.

I'm after a MacPro soon and if I can find a better deal on a higher spec by buying refurb, thats the way I will go. (I don't really think I need an 8core beast if I'm currently managing to use Logic Studio on my 2.2 Core Duo MBP!)

HTH

Good luck, I hope you get the specs you want. Thanks for your feedback!

Well, I'm actually saving money although the refurbished imac will cost about $47 more then the new, I'm getting more hdd and better monitor. So if I get the refurbished imac $1,247 altogether after I buy the 4gb memory and wireless mouse and keyboard. I know your logic on the monitor if I don't do games things like that, but I'll be playing games rarely and be doing alot of video editing. But I'd rather have a better monitor for this kind of money.

Thanks for your feedback I'm very thankful everyone is replying.

If you are $100 shy of enough money for a new one a refurb makes complete sense. I've bought refurb from Apple and it was perfect. No issues at all and used it for years.

I just spent over $2k on a new iMac, but seriously considered a refurb to save money. In the end the idea of finally owning the mythical 3Ghz iMac won over and I had the money.

I agree, I'm glad it worked out for you. Well see the imac that I was going to buy is the cheapest one you can get, then I was going to just upgrade the memory to 4gb on crucial and get wireless mouse and keyboard. I can also get the educational discount so I got about $50 discount on that one. So the price came out to be $1,199.00 for the new imac with like 250 gb and less power in the monitor. So then I looked at the refurbished and I saw I could get (for less money) get 1,400 worth of specs for 1,099 so then I just added the money that I'll be spending on the side of the wireless mouse & keyboard and it came out to be 1,247.00 so for $47 more I'm getting better monitor and wireless keyboard and 4gb memory.

Refurbs don't "suck". Some of the deals aren't deals because they base the discounted price off the original MSRP of the item. You just need to have some sense and do your research before you hit the buy button!

Thanks for that feedback, if some of it was pointed to me.

I have bought several items from Apple refurb. 2 of them were faulty and had to go back the rest worked well for ages.

I'm sorry for that, what was wrong with the 2 parts?

There is nothing wrong with buying refurbished machines from Apple. Apple does have at least one store in Alabama, so they'll have to charge state taxes (appears to be 4%), so you'd have to take that into account (and any shipping charges). The third parties (Amazon, MacMall, ...) won't charge you sales tax, and some offer free shipping, so take that into consideration. The configurations do vary slightly -- the Amazon one comes with 250GB HDD, for instance.

Another source of RAM is OtherWorldComputing/MacSales.

Oh ok thank you. I haven't thought about shipping, and taxes yet. I'll look into the other providers as well thank you.

Apple store online sales tax charges are not based on location of their stores. It's Apple's policy on internet sales to charge state sales tax.
http://store.apple.com/Catalog/US/Images/salespolicies.html#topic-12

It's optional for businesses that do not have a B&M location in the state. I think Apple knows that sooner or later it's going to be required and could create legal issues for uncollected taxes if a state brings suit.
http://www.nolo.com/article.cfm/obj...9-FECA-4AF7-A0E454029D2AEA58/111/277/167/ART/

Every time I make a purchase from Apple online I get hit for sales tax. Apple has no stores in my state South Carolina. The closest Apple store to me is Charlotte, NC. The good news is they are planning on opening an Apple store here next year.

That's good new that they are opening a store, I hope the taxes won't eat me up.

Cameron08

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 20, 2008
Alabama
Tax for me was,$106.01

My total would come out to be $1,353.01

Which doesn't include the memory I would buy which was $106.00 which would cost me finally 1,459 that is for the refurbished. For the new imac grand total w/taxes and memory included would be for the new imac would be $1,455.00

BryanLyle

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2005
I just bought a refurb Macbook Pro and it has been flawless. I would not hesitate to purchase another refurb.

BobZune

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2007
USA
On the state tax matter

I forgot to add it is the generally responsibility of the buyer to pay the state taxes, if the seller is out of state and is not charging it. But the compliance rate on this appears to be very low.

kiwi031

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2008
New Zealand

Lol, yeah, ur comments are very valid. To be honest though, Apple refurbs are the ONLY brand computer refurbs I'd touch... I work in a computer shop in NZ and we are an apple re-seller... We ocassionally get refurb Apple's in, but they are repair is outsourced to local repair companies, not apple themselves.

U gotta see WHO has refurbished the computer... Also, cheap PC refurbs are very poor! Low Quality.

About the Applecare warranty, that's sweet but if something goes wrong it still means you'll be without ur computer for like 2 weeks etc, hassle and all that... technicians here (the knuckleheads!) like to re-image computers even if they think the logic board is at fault or if you have bad RAM - so you have to back up etc (which I do anyway but many of our customer's don't!)

I dealt with a refurb 2.1Ghz White Macbook that had to go back to technitians 3 times with the same fault... It would take several times to boot - the machine was a dog. Technician replaced bits and pieces over and over again but couldn't repair it.

We sell about 30 Apple machines a month, and I've been there for over a year.... and I've only dealt with about 5-10 faulty or OBF issues with them in that time. That's a pretty good rate I reckon!

Cheers Guys!

hubristol

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2005
My current computer is a refurb. Unless you're really weary about getting a lemon, I'd probably go with that.

Cameron08

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 20, 2008
Alabama
Thanks for all your positive feedback it will ded help me make my decision. However I already made my decision. I'll be buying the refurb I'll buy it without the wireless mouse and keyboard to keep the price from getting too high as well as later in the year when the mac starts getting slow I'll buy more RAM.

Thanks again EVERYONE for helping me and assisting me on this thank you sooo much.

-Cam

keehun

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2008
I would avoid the keyboards as well. Also I think you should go with the new, seeing that new is cheaper than refurb by only $100?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.