Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sachin10dulkar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 13, 2008
Hi

i have started converting my DVDs into .m4v files to watch on Apple Tv. for the first 5 or so the process i used was magic - DVD Decryptor to get the DVD cracked and then Handbrake, using the standard Hi Res Ipod settings. this was good enough for me, and enabled me to watch on the ipod and Apple Tv.

now suddenly things have broken, the decryptor works fine, but when i go to convert to m4v, Handbrake runs for about 1 second and then says the prcoess is finished!!

i have checked numoerous times and i am selecting all the chapters etc.
what could be the problem???

I am feeling left out of the ripping revolution, and want to get back in!!!

Woody970

macrumors member
Jan 29, 2008
Hi

i have started converting my DVDs into .m4v files to watch on Apple Tv. for the first 5 or so the process i used was magic - DVD Decryptor to get the DVD cracked and then Handbrake, using the standard Hi Res Ipod settings. this was good enough for me, and enabled me to watch on the ipod and Apple Tv.

now suddenly things have broken, the decryptor works fine, but when i go to convert to m4v, Handbrake runs for about 1 second and then says the prcoess is finished!!

i have checked numoerous times and i am selecting all the chapters etc.
what could be the problem???

I am feeling left out of the ripping revolution, and want to get back in!!!

First with Handbrake there is no need to run DVD decyyptor. DVD decryptor is used when you want to make a copy of the DVD. Since your encoding the movie to a .m4v file to play on your ipod you can bypass the decryptor part. Try putting the DVD in the computer and open the dvd using Handbrake and select the preset that you require and let it go. This is how I encode all of my DVD's so that they play on my ATV and iPhone. :cool:

dynaflash

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2003
HandBrake didn't break. Is this happening on other titles or have you just now run across one that it happens to ? What platform are you on ? Though handbrake can "ignore" some encrypted dvd's there are some that definitely need to be pre-ripped (as long as your on mac, the windows version always needs a separate decrypter ).

brand

macrumors 601
Oct 3, 2006
DVD decryptor is used when you want to make a copy of the DVD. Since your encoding the movie to a .m4v file to play on your ipod you can bypass the decryptor part.

Actually DVD Decrypter is used to remove the DRM put in place to prevent copying the movies. Even when re-encoding a DVD to a different format the DRM still has to be removed or else it can not be re-encoded. Handbrake does perform some level of DRM removal but is considered more DVD to MPEG-4 converter than a DRM stripper. Other programs specialize in the removal of DRM and are able to remove the more advanced newer DRM that is out there. One of which is MacTheRipper.

I usually rip the movies files to my hard drive using MacTheRipper. Then I will convert them using Handbrake. Doing it this way I can batch process the movies and reduce the wear of my optical drive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.