Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pete44444444

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 20, 2008
Ok so have had my ipod touch for about 6 months and music has always synced fine. A movie that i bought also synced ok. I put an mp4 movie in the itunes library and now no videos will sync. please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Xavier

macrumors demi-god
Mar 23, 2006
Columbus
This recently happened to me. I obtained a MP4 movie file and it will not import onto my iPod but will play perfectly fine in iTunes. My thought is that it was a MP4 for the AppleTV, but i don't think it would matter.

akm3

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2007
This is from memory, so if I get any of it wrong someone correct me.

The iPod touch plays h.264 encoded files.

.mp4 is just a container, inside that container is the codec being used.

It is possible to have an .mp4 that uses a codec that the iPod touch doesn't support and thus won't play.

But you can also have an .mp4 that uses h.264 and the touch CAN play.

Basically, the touch plays h.264 *not* "mp4's"

Take that file and run it through visual hub to convert it to h.264, and then your ipod touch will be able to play it.

mastershakess

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2008
Bel Air, MD
use handbrake and convert it to a ipod touch movie, it has special presets for perfectly sized touch movies

I used handbrake to convert Transformers, Semi-Pro and Rambo for a trip and they all looked great on touch

Xavier

macrumors demi-god
Mar 23, 2006
Columbus
Doesn't handbrake only aallow you to burn movies from a DVD, not convert movie from a source file?

I seem to recall trying to do this and failing because it would not allow me to use a source file (.mp4) from my desktop

mastershakess

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2008
Bel Air, MD
Doesn't handbrake only aallow you to burn movies from a DVD, not convert movie from a source file?

I seem to recall trying to do this and failing because it would not allow me to use a source file (.mp4) from my desktop

Honestly not sure, I'd have to check it out. I have only used DVDs to make touch movies so far.

pete44444444

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 20, 2008
I already used handbrake to convert it to mp4. then i opened it with itunes. i can play it in the library it just wont sync to my ipod touch.

futureswitcher

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2008
handbrake lets you convert movies from a dvd or another file on your computer...it's really an awesome program!

When you convert it, make sure the checkbox labeled "include iPod atom" is checked. Your best bet is to select the ipod touch/iphone preset on the right of the window.

pete44444444

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 20, 2008
try it again using the touch preset

No reason it shouldn't work, make sure it is checked off on the movie tab before you try to sync

I used the preset for ipod touch. But i just figured out that i can put it on my ipod if i manualy manage my music and videos. Does any one know why it works like this but not any other ways?

scotty96LSC

macrumors 65816
Oct 24, 2007
Charlotte, NC
I had the same problem with a mp4 music video I got. I had to ensure I checked sync movies and then select the mp4 from the list. Now it shows up fine.

akm3

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2007
iSquint (The free version of Visual Hub) is also excellent for this.

shivikeni

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2012
I figured it out!

1. Select the video, if the video is not in your iTunes library, transfer it to the library.
2. Once you've transferred and selected the video, click on the "Advanced" tab at the top of the window.
3. Then on the drop down menu, click on the option "Create iPod or iPhone Version."

:apple:There you go!:apple:

mlmwalt

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2010
Philadelphia, Pa, USA
1. Select the video, if the video is not in your iTunes library, transfer it to the library.
2. Once you've transferred and selected the video, click on the "Advanced" tab at the top of the window.
3. Then on the drop down menu, click on the option "Create iPod or iPhone Version."

:apple:There you go!:apple:

Bravo!!!! Only 4 years later!!!! :rolleyes:

sd259

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2012
drag into your device

move the video to the itunes media folder - check the folder location by clicking Edit/Preferences/Advanced

use itunes to convert your video format to mp4 - Click advanced/ Create ipod or iphone version.

once complete, drag the movie to your ipod (Device) icon to the left of your itunes screen with your mouse and it will show the drop down list of folders, choose movies or TV shows (it will take a while to move)

sync will not work on movies manually moved to the library. only those purchased will auto move to your video folder...

Gjwilly

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area
sync will not work on movies manually moved to the library. only those purchased will auto move to your video folder...

Wrong.
I have almost 400 movies/TV shows in my library, none of them were purchased, every single one of them was inserted manually, and all of them sync perfectly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.