Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iprincess

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
when the push was announced for yahoo mail, i secretly hoped this meant it would work for my small business mail account with them. after no success on my own, i called customer support. i just got off the phone and they tell me that neither IMAP nor push is supported for business mail.

as this feature is offered to members of FREE yahoo mail, it is unimaginable that it is not available for paid members. the CSR agreed and said that the more people that request this feature, the more likely it is that they will add it to their business mail accounts.

if you are a yahoo small business mail user or if you would be if they supported push for small business domains, please email feature-request@yahoo-inc.com

thanks for your help!

the phone number for yahoo small business is 800-318-0783

defeated

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2007
after hearing this news yesterday, I canceled my yahoo mail service, if Yahoo feels like this kind of ridiculous mistreatment is right for paid users, then Im sorry, I won't pay it anymore.

iprincess

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
after hearing this news yesterday, I canceled my yahoo mail service, if Yahoo feels like this kind of ridiculous mistreatment is right for paid users, then Im sorry, I won't pay it anymore.

the phone number for yahoo small business is 800-318-0783
they hide it on their website so when i found it years ago, i saved it to my address book. i almost deleted it when i was updating my address book for iphone, but thought twice about it. now i'm glad i didn't. i also have another number for yahoo webhosting that is 866-800-8092. i have only called the first number. the rep agreed it was screwed up that free users had a feature that paid users do not.

i told them that if it was not active for business mail users within a month, i would be canceling my service and taking my business elsewhere. i realize they JUST released this for regular users, so i will give them a few weeks to get everything sorted for business mail users.

with that said, i am not holding my breath and already shopping around for new mail providers. i already have more than enough web hosting but i need someone incredibly reliable for mail. i use everyone.net business mail for my company. it is not cheap, but it is very reliable. they also offer push. i need to call them and talk to them more, i'm not sure if that is just a matter of turning it on or if it's automatic, but i may end up going with them if yahoo doesn't change it's tune very soon. my only reason for not doing that today is i like to know i have two separate reliable email services in case something happens to one, i can always access the other, etc. it's really not a huge deal, in the year i've used everyone.net, i have not experienced any problems whatsoever and they are used by a lot of corporations so maybe i'm just being too paranoid about needing two providers.

when i was thinking about this, i realized that yahoo is going to be cutting out their ad revenue when users are using imap on iphone - so they should be losing money by providing this access. which makes their not offering this to business/paid customers even more ridiculous!

i really do not want to migrate my mail and i really want yahoo to step up and implement this for business users. please call and complain/request this be added ASAP 800-318-0783 or email feature-request@yahoo-inc.com

omahajim

macrumors member
Feb 21, 2005
I have a paid webhosting account on Yahoo, which comes with the business email mentioned here. My iPhone does indeed work with Push and IMAP on my regular free Yahoo.com email account, and "sort of" works on my paid business account.

When adding an account to the Mail settings on iPhone, I selected Yahoo as the service provider, then entered the email address as user@domain.com@yahoo.com (obviously substituting my actual paid email account at the beginning). I had read elsewhere a long time ago in the bowels of Yahoo's support webpages that you should try a % in the email address (like user%domain.com@yahoo.com ) but that might have been for POP access back when it was first introduced. No matter, iPhone won't let you use a % sign in the email setup anyways.

Anyhoo, using user@domain.com@yahoo.com , I can immediately see all the correct folders that are really in my yahoo small business email account, and I can even properly download emails and mark them as read and/or delete them, and it reflects in the webmail client at Yahoo.

But sending emails from iPhone is a no-go. I get the sending email progress bar at the bottom of the iPhone screen, and the 'whoosh' sound when an email sends, but it doesn't show up in my Sent folder and it never arrives at the destination email address.

It seems like this 'partial' working situation is a sign that full IMAP of paid Yahoo small business email accounts is right around the corner? My free Yahoo account works awesome in full IMAP, sending and receiving, and I hate the thought of simply forwarding my paid account to the free one just for working IMAP. I have TONS of email and folders on the paid one that I can work with just fine on iPhone, all except the little issue of actually sending email.

I should note that if I instead add the paid small business account as a POP account instead of the built in Yahoo IMAP, I can send and receive through SMTP/POP just fine from iPhone, I just want full IMAP!

Maybe I'll write or call as the OP suggests above.

Thanks

iprincess

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
I have a paid webhosting account on Yahoo, which comes with the business email mentioned here. My iPhone does indeed work with Push and IMAP on my regular free Yahoo.com email account, and "sort of" works on my paid business account.

When adding an account to the Mail settings on iPhone, I selected Yahoo as the service provider, then entered the email address as user@domain.com@yahoo.com (obviously substituting my actual paid email account at the beginning). I had read elsewhere a long time ago in the bowels of Yahoo's support webpages that you should try a % in the email address (like user%domain.com@yahoo.com ) but that might have been for POP access back when it was first introduced. No matter, iPhone won't let you use a % sign in the email setup anyways.

Anyhoo, using user@domain.com@yahoo.com , I can immediately see all the correct folders that are really in my yahoo small business email account, and I can even properly download emails and mark them as read and/or delete them, and it reflects in the webmail client at Yahoo.

But sending emails from iPhone is a no-go. I get the sending email progress bar at the bottom of the iPhone screen, and the 'whoosh' sound when an email sends, but it doesn't show up in my Sent folder and it never arrives at the destination email address.

It seems like this 'partial' working situation is a sign that full IMAP of paid Yahoo small business email accounts is right around the corner? My free Yahoo account works awesome in full IMAP, sending and receiving, and I hate the thought of simply forwarding my paid account to the free one just for working IMAP. I have TONS of email and folders on the paid one that I can work with just fine on iPhone, all except the little issue of actually sending email.

I should note that if I instead add the paid small business account as a POP account instead of the built in Yahoo IMAP, I can send and receive through SMTP/POP just fine from iPhone, I just want full IMAP!

Maybe I'll write or call as the OP suggests above.

Thanks

thanks for your posting. it is good to know you were able to get it to work. have you tried using imap.apple.mail.yahoo.com for the outgoing smtp server? that is the setting for the yahoo free mail so maybe that would work for sending?

i actually moved to a new host today because i can't handle having to sync between my iphone and desktop, i get way to much mail to have to sort it/read/delete twice. i have 30 days to cancel that, so if yahoo can start working prior, i will stay with them.

i'm going to try what you suggested using the imap.apple for the outgoing smtp.

thanks again for your tip!

ps - PLEASE call if you can! i think the more people that call, the better chance we have of getting it taken care of.

jsindc

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2008
Yahoo small business imap email with iphone

I recently found that I can get IMAP with my Yahoo Small Business email accounts as well as with the regular Yahoo accounts on my iPhone. When setting up the account, I chose Yahoo as the type (instead of other), and entered my full business email address as the username: me@mydomain.org

Even though I entered mydomain.org, it still works (I guess since it is a Yahoo small business account) and now I have perfect IMAP functionality on my iPhone.

Now if I could just get the same on Apple Mail! (I don't know the Yahoo Small Business IMAP server names!).

Dave440

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2008
I posted this on my blog a while back. Think it could be helpful to people with an Iphone and Yahoo small business solutions.

----

1. Settings Icon on the Phone

2. Mail

3. Add Account

4. Don't choose Yahoo, choose 'Other'. Interestingly if you setup your email with the Yahoo account it works. I did this and setup my address as emailaddy (at) email (dot) net (replace the 'at' with @ and 'dot' with . and use your own email user name address) with my passowrd and I was able to get mail and it synched with yahoo's IMAP servers. BUT I soon realized I had a problem SENDING mail. This is because you need to use SMTP for outbound mail and you can't configure that properly on the phone with Yahoo.

5. So use this configuration

Name: You name you want people to see

Address: Your email address

Description: What you want the phone to display in your email account lists

Incoming Host: imap.mail.yahoo.com

Username: your email address hosted by yahoo

Password: Your password

Outgoing Host: smtp.bizmail.yahoo.com:25

username: your email address

Password: your password

Save it. It will try to save for a while and it may (did for me) ask you to try to attempt to Save it without SSL? Click 'Yes'! Then it will be "thinking" for a while. Don't worry, this may take a LONG while but eventually it should save off successfully.

That's it! You should now have IMAP access with push mail on your yahoo small buisness hosted web solution.

Works great for me!

iClamp

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2007
Charlotte, NC
I have my small business email address with Yahoo set up on my iPhone, and it works quite well. I first thought that it needed to be set up manually as IMAP or POP however, that created several issues of receiving duplicate emails. I would read the email on my computer, but it was still saying that there was an unread message on my iPhone.

This is what I found out that works. Under settings on your iPhone, go to Mail. Select "add account" You then get the preformatted choices.. so select Yahoo. It then asks for your Yahoo ID and password. Enter your small business account email address.. without the @yahoo.com information. (admin@johndoe.com) Yahoo recognized my email address as a Yahoo account, and set it automatically from there. I get my emails just as well as I get the pushed emails from my standard Yahoo account. I hope this helps!

EDIT: I'm sorry, I just noticed that an above post by JSINDC said exactly what I was trying to say.

FreeLunch1

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2008
I added Yahoo small business email to my iphone by selecting Yahoo and using my small business credentials. At first, It worked fine to sync, receive push emails, and send emails.

However, it won't send emails now. I looked through my sent items, and I definitely in the past have sent emails using my iphone with Yahoo Small Business email.

Anyone have any ideas?

Dave440

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2008
I added Yahoo small business email to my iphone by selecting Yahoo and using my small business credentials. At first, It worked fine to sync, receive push emails, and send emails.

However, it won't send emails now. I looked through my sent items, and I definitely in the past have sent emails using my iphone with Yahoo Small Business email.

Anyone have any ideas?

I never did get this to work by simply selecting yahoo as the account type when setting up IMAP to my yahoo small buisness mail hence why I posted my workaround. You need to set this up as a custom IMAP with the settings I posted earlier. When I tried, I would also run into a problem sending mail. Reason being is there is an issue with thier outbound IMAP mail so it has to be inbound IMAP and outbound SMTP which can only be setup via the custom setup.

FreeLunch1

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2008
I never did get this to work by simply selecting yahoo as the account type when setting up IMAP to my yahoo small buisness mail hence why I posted my workaround. You need to set this up as a custom IMAP with the settings I posted earlier. When I tried, I would also run into a problem sending mail. Reason being is there is an issue with thier outbound IMAP mail so it has to be inbound IMAP and outbound SMTP which can only be setup via the custom setup.

Dave,

I tried your setting and it worked for a little bit. I then found out that it started working through the yahoo imap solution -- I sent one email. So I then deleted the mixed solution, and then neither would work no matter what I do. Currently, I can't send email using either method! I will try again later today.

iphone3gnewbie

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2008
didn't work for me

I tried Dave's suggestion. I was so happy that someone finally had a solution, as I have been searching the web. Unfortunately, it did not work for me. The error I got was:

Cannot Get Mail. The user name or password for "imap.mail.yahoo.com" is incorrect.

I did this twice and re-entered my password too just to make certain. I do not believe I had a typo, so I don't know why it doesn't work. Like others, if I add my business account as a Yahoo! account, everything works except sending. It leave the email in my outbox, and may send each time I enter mail ... or may never send. If I send using the values under Yahoo mail options, it doesn't work either. How can this be? my pacbell.net account works fine!

Any other suggestions?

What does the :25 mean? :(

Dave440

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2008
I tried Dave's suggestion. I was so happy that someone finally had a solution, as I have been searching the web. Unfortunately, it did not work for me. The error I got was:

Cannot Get Mail. The user name or password for "imap.mail.yahoo.com" is incorrect.

I did this twice and re-entered my password too just to make certain. I do not believe I had a typo, so I don't know why it doesn't work. Like others, if I add my business account as a Yahoo! account, everything works except sending. It leave the email in my outbox, and may send each time I enter mail ... or may never send. If I send using the values under Yahoo mail options, it doesn't work either. How can this be? my pacbell.net account works fine!

Any other suggestions?

What does the :25 mean? :(

I should have mentioned...There is one caveat to my solution that I haven't been able to get around...For some reason my solution works when NOT on Wifi. When on wifi I get that error...something to do with synchronization. I know it's a hassle but try it on the Edge (or 3g) network and see if the error continues... The 25 is the PORT number that typically SMTP runs on. You have to SEND mail through a SMTP protocol and GET mail through IMAP. It will also work like pop (it won't PUSH mail like regular Yahoo) but unlike POP email, it will synch up against the server Ergo, you delete emails, make folders, etc on your mail server and it will reflect on the phone...one of the beauties of IMAP.

YndeCam

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2008
Release 2.0.1?

With my original iPhone I had no problems sending or recieving email on my small business account setting it up as a Yahoo account. I upgraded to the iPhone 3G and things also worked fine but after I upgraded to the 2.0.1 release I can no longer send email via my small business account. Also I've noticed that push mail in general has degraded not working all the time in either of my accounts.

Anyone else think this issue could be related to the 2.0.1 release?

iphone3gnewbie

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2008
No WIFI ... it helps to make the settings work, but...

I should have mentioned...There is one caveat to my solution that I haven't been able to get around...For some reason my solution works when NOT on Wifi. When on wifi I get that error...something to do with synchronization. I know it's a hassle but try it on the Edge (or 3g) network and see if the error continues... The 25 is the PORT number that typically SMTP runs on. You have to SEND mail through a SMTP protocol and GET mail through IMAP. It will also work like pop (it won't PUSH mail like regular Yahoo) but unlike POP email, it will synch up against the server Ergo, you delete emails, make folders, etc on your mail server and it will reflect on the phone...one of the beauties of IMAP.

OK, I tried turning off the WIFI, and I got it to work! :) Do you always have your WIFI off? What will it affect? Will it slow things down?

Thanks for your help!

jferat

macrumors newbie
Sep 2, 2008
Was happy to find this discussion about IMAP on the Ipod Touch/iPhone. Using POP is completely unbearable for my Bizmail account since I receive at least 50 to 100 Spam emails a day. Yahoo does a pretty good job filtering them but that all show up in my inbox on my iPod. Brutal.

Dave 440 (btw, does that stand for a big block mopar??), I had found your blog page and actually posted a question there earlier today... The end of this string has answered my question though. I connect only via Wifi since I am using a touch, so I guess I am SOL for now. I am truly shocked that Yahoo has not sorted this issue out.

Any updates or fixes would be great!

Thanks
JM

Dave440

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2008
Was happy to find this discussion about IMAP on the Ipod Touch/iPhone. Using POP is completely unbearable for my Bizmail account since I receive at least 50 to 100 Spam emails a day. Yahoo does a pretty good job filtering them but that all show up in my inbox on my iPod. Brutal.

Dave 440 (btw, does that stand for a big block mopar??), I had found your blog page and actually posted a question there earlier today... The end of this string has answered my question though. I connect only via Wifi since I am using a touch, so I guess I am SOL for now. I am truly shocked that Yahoo has not sorted this issue out.

Any updates or fixes would be great!

Thanks
JM

ahhh you found my blog. :) 440 just stuck from a while back since I used to like the band apollo440 and Dave is too common of a uername.

I know this is kind of a drag and sort of "half hack" but it's the best I've been able to do and I'm sure it's not something that yahoo really supports for business accounts so complaining to them would be useless since they tell small business users "there is no IMAP support for the Iphone". I simply made an assumption that yahoo uses the same servers and server configurations for business users. I'm not quite sure why it doesn't work with wifi... I have a sneaky suspicion that it will one day be available for small business users. Yahoo has a tendancy to "Beta test" on their free user base for a while. I wish they would utilize Push mail with IMAP for buisness users. My IMAP hack doesn't supply Push mail just yet, only pulling...

sailmac

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2008
Sent my request to Yahoo!

I'm eager for Yahoo to add IMAP for Small Business accounts too.

I just now emailed the request.

Glad to have found this thread. Subscribed in anticipation!

sunfast

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2005
I just stumbled across this thread and, being a small business customer, emailed that feature request address. Got bounced too :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.