Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

paisios

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 12, 2008
OH
HI everyone,

I've got a new potential client who would like me to convert my .ai files to .dst files. This format is for embroidery machines. I've heard that it is typically PC based and requires some learning curve once you get an application that can create these files.

Does anyone have experience with this? Could you give me some advice?

I'd like to land this account, and while there is more to it than these .dst files, I'd like to get that work from them as well.

I'm curious as to what programs are available (any for mac?) as well as any tips or tricks and advice if you've done this sort of work before.

I'm a graphic designer with many years experience, but this sort of production work I am unfamiliar with. I've sent vector files to embroidery joint, but I was unaware that they were converting those files to another format. I've heard that you have to re-draw and then specify things like number of stitches, understitching and things like that.

Please Help!!!

THanks,
Paisios

paisios

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 12, 2008
OH
I've got a friend looking into this. He works for a company that does embroidery as well as other premium stuff for different companies.

I'll post what I find out.

From what I've been able to find on the web....Maybe I'm better off sending out my vector files and just building that into the cost...

stubeeef

macrumors 68030
Aug 10, 2004
ANYONE find a way to do this yet?

I would like to convert some images to DST for embroidery too. I have my mac guru's at the marketing dept looking into it, but they have not gotten back to me yet. I did find this program but it is windows only!
Anywho, seems that this is a complicated conversion and was wondering if anyone had experience and could do this for me on the cheap?

stubeeef

macrumors 68030
Aug 10, 2004
Could also use a program that would convert to the following embroidery file types. Tajima, Melco, or Barudan.

Thanks

stubeeef

macrumors 68030
Aug 10, 2004
I think for $1800 I will just free hand sew it myself!:D

Thanks though.

marndt

macrumors member
May 23, 2009
Germany
I'm curious as to what programs are available (any for mac?) as well as any tips or tricks and advice if you've done this sort of work before.
Never tried it myself: There's an export plugin for Inkscape, which converts a vectorized graphic into an EXP embroidery file. The pics on the website mentioned above are looking promising. Converting EXP to DST can be easily done, e. g. with StitchBuddy even in demo mode, or (sorry, guys) in Windows / WINE with Wilcom Truesizer, Pulse Ambassador, Wings MyEditor, ...

Mattes

deanambro101

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2017
usa
It's not just like converting a vector file to image format. Instead, it requires embroidery digitizing skill, embroidery machine operations and in depth use of embroidery software. Then you will be able to do this. According to me it's much better to get work done online digitizers. as i always get my work done from these guys https://zeedigitizing.com/portfolio/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.