Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zachariah

macrumors member
May 10, 2005
Earth
I'll keep searching -- Google isn't really a help 'cause of all the iffy results, but it will kill me if I don't know a better answer, myself.

Zachariah

macrumors member
May 10, 2005
Earth
this looks like a PERL script specifically for what you want to do

ogg2mp3 (homepage)
Convert oggs to mp3s, converting ogginfo tags to id3 tags. Requires: ogg123, ogginfo, id3tool and an mp3 encoder, and nothing else. I've had a bug report that this might be limited to 48 minutes, I'd love more info on this.

but I've only seen references to using it on Linux -- so I don't know how well it would run on OSX

admiraldennis

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2002
Boston, MA
The easiest way would be to install the above-linked QuickTime ogg component and converting them via iTunes.

Transcoding resuslts in vastly reduced quality, mind you.

WW Smith

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2011
I can't believe no one has recommended this. This is perfect for all your converting and ripping needs. Have been using it for quite a while.

http://sbooth.org/Max/#max

Ddoonie, you are the egg man. Many thanks for your astute rec; it worked a treat. One album warned me it was getting "permission errors" when sending its tracks to iTunes...but they arrived there fine, played fine, and burned to CD with no problems.

Much obliged, brother.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.