Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Balaamsdonkey

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 24, 2008
Washington
Is there anyway of retrieving unsaved Photoshop work? I foolishly did not save some stock photos I was using for a project only copy+pasted them, and in the process of updating growl, and an apple update for Quicktime Photoshop stopped responding. It didn't say the application was not responding but every time I clicked on a window for Photoshop it just made the unhappy you can't do this sound.

I'm on Tiger still with a 12in powerbook. It is Photoshop 9 on CS2. I think I know the answer to my problem but I am hoping there is some surgical way of opening something up to get to it. Thanks!

By the way, please tell me CS3 has a recovery program contingency plan like Microsoft Word has for the mac. Its criminal that Adobe NOR Pages has that, nor an autosave feature. (Sorry for mentioning non-design/graphic stuff, but I had to vent.

Tommy

jerryrock

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2007
Amsterdam, NY
Your files are probably lost. Saving your current project at critical stages should be a function of the designer not the software. A lesson you will probably remember now.

Balaamsdonkey

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 24, 2008
Washington
I think your files are toast. InDesign has crash recovery (had it in CS2, as well), but PS does not, even in CS3.

InDesign has it? Intersting, I wonder why they only put it in Photoshop.

And to the previous reply about it being the users job to save and it being critical. I was aware, and you do not need to take the role of teacher or parent with your snarky comments. Your reply is kind of glib and ignores my point that other programs have it and they seem to work fine. My point about pages not having an autosave feature indicates to me that its something Apple might start to want to do.

Regardless I shall chalk this up to a screw up on my part. Thanks guys.

PS. On another note I have a design question. I had found this picture of a drawing (or picture can't remember cus when I was done with it it looked like a drawing) of a mangle of vines that worked as a great mirrored image and right hand border. I am not sure if that description is very helpful, but it is primarily what I have been looking for. Has anyone seen any vegetation pictures like that? Thanks.

jerryrock

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2007
Amsterdam, NY
And to the previous reply about it being the users job to save and it being critical. I was aware, and you do not need to take the role of teacher or parent with your snarky comments. Your reply is kind of glib and ignores my point that other programs have it and they seem to work fine. Regardless I shall chalk this up to a screw up on my part.

This kind of remark is totally unnecessary, coming from someone who is asking for help.

An attitude like yours is not going to get you very far in this world. Take some time and learn the programs you are working with before spouting off at the mouth. A great book for beginners is Adobe Photoshop CS2/3 Classroom in a Book by Adobe Press.

Have a nice day!
:)

Have

semicharmed

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2005
New Orleans
InDesign has it? Intersting, I wonder why they only put it in Photoshop.

Auto-recovery is an InDesign feature because InDesign, fundamentally, is a database-type application. Files "placed" into InDesign are pulled from the original document each time, so all ann auto-recovery feature needs to do is save that database, ie, picture x @ position x,y, textblock @ position x,y, etc.
That's why file sizes between the two applications are so different also; just from personal experience, an 8 page broadsheet section for the paper I work on comes in at <1 MB, while an 7MP digital photo (or its equivalent) will be much larger.
Kind of cool, but also the reason why Photoshop/Illustrator don't have auto-save/recovery: too processor-intensive for large files.

Balaamsdonkey

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 24, 2008
Washington
Auto-recovery is an InDesign feature because InDesign, fundamentally, is a database-type application. Files "placed" into InDesign are pulled from the original document each time, so all ann auto-recovery feature needs to do is save that database, ie, picture x @ position x,y, textblock @ position x,y, etc.
That's why file sizes between the two applications are so different also; just from personal experience, an 8 page broadsheet section for the paper I work on comes in at <1 MB, while an 7MP digital photo (or its equivalent) will be much larger.
Kind of cool, but also the reason why Photoshop/Illustrator don't have auto-save/recovery: too processor-intensive for large files.

That makes total sense. Thanks for answering my question. Now if only that excuse worked for pages...

Thanks again for answering the question directly, and for the previous post about the stock site statement.

nkft

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2009
This kind of remark is totally unnecessary, coming from someone who is asking for help.

An attitude like yours is not going to get you very far in this world. Take some time and learn the programs you are working with before spouting off at the mouth. A great book for beginners is Adobe Photoshop CS2/3 Classroom in a Book by Adobe Press.

Have a nice day!
:)

Have

This kind of comment is completely unnecessary. Just because someone's asking for help doesn't mean you are entitled to be disrespectful and condescending.

I have my own book recommendation for you

Sara sammons

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2012
Hope jerryrock never needs to ask for any help, shame we can't all be as perfect, maybe he should put himself on eBay as the person who never makes a mistake. As for the rest of this thread would like to say how helpful I have found it, i wont waste any more time trying to find my lost files as they probably don't exist any longer, thanks to all

lucidmedia

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2008
Wellington, New Zealand

Photoshop CS6 has autosave and auto recovery.

Edit: and my apologies in advance for contributing to a necro-thread.

wordplanet

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2012
I know - sometimes you respond and don't realize how old the thread is - this one was easy since they were referring to very old versions of PS - I didn't know they'd finally built in a recovery feature to CS6 - I bought CS5 a few months before CS6 came out so haven't upgraded (2 MACs crashed in 3 days - couldn't run CS3 on Lion so no choice).

I've noticed that sometimes CS5 "saves" my file by going back to the last saved version - which is actually annoying if I've made a lot of changes so I have to pop back in the history - but it's also a reminder that it's time to save where I am - I've been using these programs for years and still forget to save at critical points when I'm so engrossed in my work - I've lost as much as the last hour or more of work on complicated photos myself and can totally sympathize with anyone - newbie or expert - who loses their hard work to this kind of forgetfulness.

Anyway, your piqued my interest mentioning the autosave and autorecovery features. I'll have to research it more - is there such a thing in CS5? I didn't see it mentioned in the latest book I got when I purchased the program - but I certainly haven't read it from cover to cover. It would make the upgrade cost worthwhile.

Jim Campbell

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2006
A World of my Own; UK
Anyway, your piqued my interest mentioning the autosave and autorecovery features. I'll have to research it more - is there such a thing in CS5? I didn't see it mentioned in the latest book I got when I purchased the program - but I certainly haven't read it from cover to cover. It would make the upgrade cost worthwhile.

Say hello to PSD Autosaver. Nifty little plug-in for CS5.

Note that it doesn't actually auto-save your main document, but saves off back-up copies at user-specified intervals to a user-specified location.

(I should mention that it doesn't save if Photoshop isn't active -- if you're not doing anything in the application, the plug-in goes idle.)

Cheers

Jim

Sineadodc

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2015
Lost work on Photoshop

Hi,

Just opened my photoshop to work on some college collages and they have all disappeared bar one.
When saving I firstly save as a jpeg in documents and then when I try to close the image I save it as psd. So where am I going wrong? The last day I tried to find them I found one in the recent files in the photoshop app but today they are all gone completely.
I am talking about ones I saves ages ago too... it all seems to be just photoshop collages... Where should I be looking? I have tried the finder, the trash, going through photoshop and documents... EVERYWHERE
I have the mac less than a year so I am still struggling with various features, like this I suppose. :mad::mad::mad:

HELP

Jim Campbell

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2006
A World of my Own; UK
Have you tried using Spotlight to search for the filename? Data loss on a new machine is incredibly rare, so if you haven't actively deleted the files it's much more likely that they're saved to a different folder on your hard drive.

Also: is there more than one user account on your Mac (ie: do you have to log in when you start up?) Is it possible that you saved the files logged in under one ID and have since logged in using a different ID?

Cheers

Jim

Sineadodc

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2015
Have you tried using Spotlight to search for the filename? Data loss on a new machine is incredibly rare, so if you haven't actively deleted the files it's much more likely that they're saved to a different folder on your hard drive.

Also: is there more than one user account on your Mac (ie: do you have to log in when you start up?) Is it possible that you saved the files logged in under one ID and have since logged in using a different ID?

Thanks Jim

Spotlight search brought up the files I cannot find, but they won't open! They redirect me to iphoto but I cannot find the images in there either. And each of the files are duplicated, one as a .psd and one as a .jpeg. More confused than ever now..

Jim Campbell

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2006
A World of my Own; UK
Spotlight search brought up the files I cannot find, but they won't open! They redirect me to iphoto but I cannot find the images in there either. And each of the files are duplicated, one as a .psd and one as a .jpeg. More confused than ever now..

Firstly, we need to find out where the files are saved to. If you highlight the file in the Spotlight search results and hold down CMD-ALT then some text will appear underneath the preview that pops up to the left. That text will tell you where the file is saved on your drive. Can you tell us what that says, for at least one of the JPGs and one of the PSDs?

Sineadodc

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2015
That's great Jim I will try that next time it happens.

I managed to get them out of spotlight by opening photoshop and dragging the .psd file into photoshop and it opened there. Glad I saved it as a psd and a jpeg. I still do not know how it went in there. I have now saved them to desktop and will file them after I have submitted them to be graded.

Until next time...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.