Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

deepak832

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 26, 2008
Hello EveryOne, i am a new developer for iphone i just written hello world program, but i like to make a web based application for i-phone. So any one can please guide me in that, how can i start writing my code, i mean from where, because i have no idea about iphone application development at all.

Thanks in advance.

Enuratique

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2008
If it's a web based application, why not just implement the application in a language you're more familiar with and access the site via Safari on the iPhone?

I guess what is it that your program is going to do and why does it have to be written natively for the iPhone?

deepak832

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 26, 2008
Thanks

Thanks Enuratique for reply, acutely i like to make my application for i phone. i already made that application for WAP, WEB and other phones also, but for phone's application i added more extra feature which is not in web application. so, please help me to implement my application in iphone only..

Thanks in advance.

Enuratique

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2008
From the Mac Programming Thread page, there are 4 very useful links at the top which should help you get on your way towards iPhone success.

I must caution you, though, that Objective-C doesn't have a lot of the niceties that other programming languages have for you (namely garbage collection) so just be prepared for a lot more work than you anticipate. Learning a new language always has its unproductive time when you're just learning stuff without making an progress.

lee1210

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2005
Dallas, TX
There's a pretty heavyweight progression that I think is really needed to become a proficient iPhone programmer. IMO, you need to learn:
C
Objective-C
Cocoa (including Interface Builder)
Cocoa Touch

In that order. It may be possible to skip the C step if you are already familiar with procedural programming and don't mind learning C-isms like pointers while you're learning Objective-C.

Now that the iPhone is the new, shiny development platform many people are trying to jump to the last stage, Cocoa Touch. This is unreasonable for a developer if you have no background in Objective-C and Cocoa.

I've said this quite a few times and it hasn't seemed to deter anyone from jumping to Cocoa Touch right away, but I'll stubbornly keep posting this and hopefully it will save someone time they would have wasted trying to write their first Objective-C program for the iPhone.

-Lee

Enuratique

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2008
There's a pretty heavyweight progression that I think is really needed to become a proficient iPhone programmer. IMO, you need to learn:
C
Objective-C
Cocoa (including Interface Builder)
Cocoa Touch

In that order. It may be possible to skip the C step if you are already familiar with procedural programming and don't mind learning C-isms like pointers while you're learning Objective-C.

Now that the iPhone is the new, shiny development platform many people are trying to jump to the last stage, Cocoa Touch. This is unreasonable for a developer if you have no background in Objective-C and Cocoa.

I've said this quite a few times and it hasn't seemed to deter anyone from jumping to Cocoa Touch right away, but I'll stubbornly keep posting this and hopefully it will save someone time they would have wasted trying to write their first Objective-C program for the iPhone.

-Lee

<rant>

I completely agree, Lee. You can tell lately by a lot of new threads that there are people who are quite obviously not programmers by trade or at the very least have been taught the fundamentals of programming in an academic setting. Things like memory management, the basics of consulting documentation before posting a very basic "plz help me write this program" (usually in fractured English) (granted, Apple's documentation is hard to navigate via the web, atleast having the documentation locally can search if you know what to search for). I fear a lot of people have been accepted into the developer program that aren't programmers and will end up releasing very shoddy programs and tarnishing the "just works" / high quality I've come to expect from Apple and their 3rd parties. As you say, they see the iPhone as the new hotness and want to jump right in not even knowing how to write a good program let alone a good Objective C program.

</rant>

elppa

macrumors 68040
Nov 26, 2003
<rant>

I completely agree, Lee. You can tell lately by a lot of new threads that there are people who are quite obviously not programmers by trade or at the very least have been taught the fundamentals of programming in an academic setting. Things like memory management, the basics of consulting documentation before posting a very basic "plz help me write this program" (usually in fractured English) (granted, Apple's documentation is hard to navigate via the web, atleast having the documentation locally can search if you know what to search for). I fear a lot of people have been accepted into the developer program that aren't programmers and will end up releasing very shoddy programs and tarnishing the "just works" / high quality I've come to expect from Apple and their 3rd parties. As you say, they see the iPhone as the new hotness and want to jump right in not even knowing how to write a good program let alone a good Objective C program.

</rant>

And if they do release very shoddy programs then Apple won't publish them to the App Store. It's one of the advantages of Apple's “closed” system that critics are so quick to bemoan.

Enuratique

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2008
And if they do release very shoddy programs then Apple won't publish them to the App Store. It's one of the advantages of Apple's “closed” system that critics are so quick to bemoan.

I haven't read anything anywhere that states Apple will review each application before releasing it to AppStore... I'm not saying you're wrong but I just haven't read anything stating that. Unless someone already accepted to the iPhone Developer Program has received documentation corroborating this and wants to chime in, I think once the floodgates are open, it will be too resource intensive of a task to review each app - really use all of its features to make sure there are no leaks/crashes/etc. Plus, wouldn't people bitch that they paid their fee to Apple and that Apple needs to honor that end of the contract by posting the App to AppStore?

I guess they may rely on end-user ratings a la iTunes Music.

yeroen

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I've commented on this before, but I agreee that the quality of posts on this forum has nosedived ever since the iPhone SDK was released. 95% of new posts tend be of the form 'i've never written programmed before, but I want to write the next photoshop for the iPhone'.

It'd be like me visiting a surgical forum and asking 'I've never performed heart bypass surgery before, but would like to give it a go. I have a scalpel, arthroscope, one of those machines that go beep, and some anesthesia. Now how do I do blah blah blah blah blah blah blah'.

It's not that people are asking beginner questions. It's the expectation that their questions have a cookbook answer.

elppa

macrumors 68040
Nov 26, 2003
I haven't read anything anywhere that states Apple will review each application before releasing it to AppStore... I'm not saying you're wrong but I just haven't read anything stating that.

Apple Accepting iPhone Apps Into App Store
Developers may submit their applications now for availability in the App Store. Apple must approve all applications that are submitted.

Daring Fireball
The App Store isn’t going to be like VersionTracker or MacUpdate, where every piece of junk gets listed as it’s submitted.

rev316

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2004
Well said ^.

Nobody here wants to discourage you. But rather inform you of the amount of commitment needed. Motivation is key, find a "reachable/attainable" project you may build yourself into writing. While I'll agree Objective-C is a fairly straight forward syntax language, it incorporates a lot of complex design, models, methodologies, and paradigms. All of which takes time and practice to learn. I don't agree that you need to learn C first.

yoavcs

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2004
Israel
It'd be like me visiting a surgical forum and asking 'I've never performed heart bypass surgery before, but would like to give it a go. I have a scalpel, arthroscope, one of those machines that go beep, and some anesthesia. Now how do I do blah blah blah blah blah blah blah'.

Well there you go, an arthroscope has absolutely nothing to do with heart surgery. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.