Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fromethius

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 26, 2008
Pennsylvania
Which program would I use to convert an mp4 to a gif?

I exported an mp4 from iMovie, and it is of short duration (13 seconds) and low quality. I would like to convert this to a gif for easier view-ability on the web.

I have found many, rather trashy, applications that would do this on Windows that often involve using trial software and places watermarks on your end result, and I would wish to avoid this.

Are there any good, preferably open source and/or freeware, applications for OS X that can do this? I am running Leopard on an Intel processor.

Many thanks!

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
Which program would I use to convert an mp4 to a gif?

Are there any good, preferably open source and/or freeware, applications for OS X that can do this? I am running Leopard on an Intel processor.

GraphicConverter will do the job. It is shareware, but is fully-functional before you pay the shareware fee. This app is so good that you will gladly pay the fee if you can afford it.

Fromethius

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 26, 2008
Pennsylvania
When trying to convert from an mp4 to a gif using Graphic Converter, I receive this erorr:

The file format of the document movie.mp4 is unknown. But it seems to contain a JPEG datastream.

Should GraphicConverter try to decode the datastream (this can maybe result in a crash of the application)?

[Cancel] [Try to decode]

Upon choosing [Try to decode] it just doesn't do anything.

The mp4 is just a regular 13 second clip exported from iMovie.

I did the conversion by going to File -> Convert & Modify...

I then chose the movie in the left box and the folder destination in the right. I hit Go and then received that error I previously mentioned.

Any ideas?

Fromethius

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 26, 2008
Pennsylvania
When I try opening the file first, or in general, I get that same error:

The file format of the document movie.mp4 is unknown. But it seems to contain a JPEG datastream.

Should GraphicConverter try to decode the datastream (this can maybe result in a crash of the application)?

[Cancel] [Try to decode]

thecrackerjack

macrumors member
May 3, 2008
it is a true MP4? For example did someone use a different codec and save it as mp4 when its really a divx or xvid? Just a thought.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.