Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

agrayphoto

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 17, 2008
Cleveland, USA
So I replaced my G4 dual 1.25 Power Mac with a new 2.8 Mac Pro. The old machine has always been noisy but I never really cared until now. I have taken it home for my family to use and the noise is really annoying. Is there anything I can do to quiet this beast down? It seems that the fans run full tilt all the time.

settledown

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2003
pittsburgh
try this...

open that bad boy up and blow out the dust bunnies.

seriously. Mine was running a fans full speed until I opened the case and used compressed air to blow all the dust and debris out of the case. It was terrible dirty.

The fans couldn't cool down the machine because the dust build up was like a layer of attic insulation inside the Mac.

NOTE: Dont go to the gas station and use the tire fill up hose. They are notoriously wet. I mean they will probably blow water all over the mobo.

Use a dry compressed air. You can buy a can of "dry air" used to clean keyboards. or, buy a couple helium balloons if you have to and release the air strategically.
I used my own air compressor as I keep it dry

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
It'll still be loud. :)

I have a dual 1GHz MDD under my desk at work (iTunes server) and while not a vacuum cleaner, it's still noisy even after a good cleaning.

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
Apple Had a Power Supply/Fan Replacement Kit

I have a 1.25 Dual, and sometime after I bought it Apple got so many complaints about the noise they offered a free power supply/fan unit upgrade. I got it for free and there was no core swap. I kept it unit the original died, and sure enough it is quieter. You pretty much have to pull everything to do the swap, but the instructions were clear enough.

Maybe you could hit Apple up, for a replacement even though the original offer has ended?

agrayphoto

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 17, 2008
Cleveland, USA
I have a 1.25 Dual, and sometime after I bought it Apple got so many complaints about the noise they offered a free power supply/fan unit upgrade. I got it for free and there was no core swap. I kept it unit the original died, and sure enough it is quieter. You pretty much have to pull everything to do the swap, but the instructions were clear enough.

Maybe you could hit Apple up, for a replacement even though the original offer has ended?

I searched for a while and could not find anything. Not even on ebay. It looks like I missed my opportunity to get this fixed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.