Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 3, 2003
if there's been a thread on this already, i'd appreciate a re-direction. i couldn't find anything from a quick search...

i have a 10GB 3rd gen iPod. i use it every few days. if i don't use it for more than a day or so, the iPod resets itself (the black apple logo screen for a while, then the main menu) before it becomes accessible. is this a known problem?

after use, i turn it off by holding the play button, then i turn on the hold switch to "locked." the iPod self-resets (a day or more later) when i move the hold switch from "locked" to "unlocked."

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 3, 2003
no one experiences this? or does everyone listen to the music daily and never have the ipod off for a few days... :confused:

ckwm

macrumors member
Jun 3, 2003
UK
I get the reset problem too (15gb, 3rd gen) but not often enough to have noticed a problem. My iPod remembers the setings after reset too. Odd.

parrothead

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2003
Edmonds, WA
That happened to me yesterday on my 30gb ipod. I use it every day, all day. The self reset happened in the morning when I turned off the hold button. Still seems to work ok though.

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 3, 2003
thanks for the info... yeah, i forgot to mention. it's a soft-reset. it remembers all the settings and songs/playlists. but i do have to wait a few seconds before it finishes resetting.

i just wanted to make sure this is a known problem so i wouldn't need to worry about getting mine fixed...

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
My 1st Gen iPod 10GB turns on by itself. I think it just does it at midnight... I think it's the Alarm or something... although I don't have one set... I'm playing around with it to figure it out though.

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
Originally posted by jxyama
thanks for the info... yeah, i forgot to mention. it's a soft-reset. it remembers all the settings and songs/playlists. but i do have to wait a few seconds before it finishes resetting.

that happens to mine, too. the only thing it doesn't remember is what song it was playing.

i'd assumed that, after a period of non-use, it goes into a mode that uses less power. i'd never considered it a problem.

until now.

i curse you. ;-)

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 3, 2003
well, sorry... :p

i don't really consider it a problem either. i just wanted to make sure it's not something unique to my ipod, that was all...

norfair

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2004
Mine too

Mine does the same thing. I put it to sleep on friday night, and put it back on sunday evening, then it show the apple logo, etc. but keeps all settings. I would guess it's to preserve power. In any case, I'm happy to see it happens to other ppl :) After the soft resets though, the battery always shows like it has 25% of power left even if it has more than that. After a while it goes back up to the right value. Weird.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.