Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wyvernspirit

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
Massachusetts
Runs fine for me

Just got myself a new Alu iMac (2007) 20" 2.4GHz (Core 2 Duo) w/ ATI radeon HD 2600 and 256 MB memory. I've got the latest Leopard 10.5.3 with all patches and a fully updated Diablo LOD (1.12a) install, with the music installed so I don't need the disks, and it works just fine. The original install was on my PowerMac G4 and copied over to the iMac.

The patch (Diablo II 1.12a) did say there was a fix for intel macs, perhaps this could fix the issue?

robbiekins

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2008
Wyvern, this is an issue that primarily affects MacBook Pros.

In an effort to make sure that the issue is properly fixed, I would like to say that my brand new MacBook Core2Duo with the X3100 GMA is currently experiencing the same exact error with Diablo 2 under OSX 10.5.3. Unexpected crash, will not load up. On top of this, I cannot select 256 color mode in Displays - my only option is Millions of Colors.

It isn't just a MBP issue, and it isn't just an NVIDIA issue. Apple messed up the Intel drivers as well.

alkar

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2008
After rollbacking to 10.5.2 GeForce kexts (but keeping everything else 10.5.3) I can tell you 256 colors games like Diablo 2 or SC do work again.

And I can chose 256 colors now in OSX while I couldn't before with 10.5.3 GeForce kexts (on 8800 GT, but it's the same for all nvidia cards afaik).

DitDah

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2007
USA
well, I feel like an idiot...but I just bought the download version of D2 with the LoD expansion from blizzard...download and install went smooth...but dang thing crashes shortly after I click the icon to start. Wish I had read this growing thread before I bothered to buy this game...again.

mckyvlle

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2007
London, UK
After rollbacking to 10.5.2 GeForce kexts (but keeping everything else 10.5.3) I can tell you 256 colors games like Diablo 2 or SC do work again.

And I can chose 256 colors now in OSX while I couldn't before with 10.5.3 GeForce kexts (on 8800 GT, but it's the same for all nvidia cards afaik).

How did you do the rollback?

I might want to try and see if using drivers from 10.5.2 or the Leopard Graphics Update works with the MacBook's Intel GMA X3100.

robbiekins

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2008

I would like to know how you did this.

JollyRogers

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2008
Virginia
How did you do the rollback?

I might want to try and see if using drivers from 10.5.2 or the Leopard Graphics Update works with the MacBook's Intel GMA X3100.

Coming from the hackintosh world I can tell you how to do this, but haven't actually done it yet other then messing with the hack trying to get my system to work... couple ways to do this, but this is how I would do it...WARNING!!! This could mess up your system, and I suggest backing up the files before replacing, or having a manually downloaded 10.5.3 update in case it doesn't work right. Also know how to boot your system in safe mode.

For NVIDIA, if you have already installed 10.5.3...

1. Download/install Pacifist located here http://www.charlessoft.com/
2. Manually download the 10.5.2 update from apple here http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/apple/macosx_updates/macosx1052comboupdate.html
3. Then mount the update and open pacifist, drag the mounted image to pacifist and then install everything with regards to geforce kexts/bundles and NVDAN*.kexts. They will be under /System/Library/Extensions. This will require admin password. May want to verify/repair permissions with Disk Utility after. reboot. (BTW, I suggest replacing them all, but the previous poster only mentions the geforce kexts so may not need to replace the NVDAN kexts).

For the x3100...
Follow the same outline but instead of the geforce and NVDAN files replace the following:
AppleIntelGMAX3100.kext
AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext
AppleIntelGMAX3100GA.plugin
AppleIntelGMAX3100GLDriver.bundle
AppleIntelGMAX3100VADriver.bundle
AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext

If it doesn't work, reboot in safe mode and follow same outline but use 10.5.3 update and pacifist to put the 10.5.3 kexts back that you replaced.

I have not updated my MP to 10.5.3 yet because of this problem, but may try it shortly. My Macbook doesn't have Diablo II on it, but this would give me a reason to try it :)

geniusjanitor

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2008
No geforce files

JollyRogers -

When I open the 10.5.2 pkg in Pacifist, and look under /System/Library/Extensions, I don't see any NVDAN or GeForce files. Am I missing something?

alkar

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2008
JollyRogers -

When I open the 10.5.2 pkg in Pacifist, and look under /System/Library/Extensions, I don't see any NVDAN or GeForce files. Am I missing something?

Yep, only Leopard Graphics Update 1.0 contains NVDAN & GeForce files, the same goes for X3100.

10.5.2 Update doesn't contain the video drivers (contrary to 10.5.3).

mswaim

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2008
Okay, maybe I'm thick, but I'm on an intel Mac tower, not a macbook, and running 10.5.2, NOT .3. Nevertheless, same problem, and I can't choose 256 colors in my system preferences. Does anyone have any idea what I'm doing wrong? My D2 and LOD are fully patched and updated, but I get the same unexpectedly quit error that people running 10.5.3 on a macbook are describing. I just bought this thing this week, so all configurations should be standard. ANY response is greatly appreciated. I've been googling for days and haven't found any info about my setup.

JollyRogers

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2008
Virginia
JollyRogers -

Sorry, yes they are in the
leopard Graphics Update 1.0 available from apple also...

Another thought, if you have Time machine backup from when you where running 10.5.2 you could just restore the kext from the time machine backup couldn't you? Getting ready to try this now....

Update: Ok, I had timemachine backups (every 30 mins on another internal HD) so I updated to 10.5.3 and did a time machine backup w/ 10.5.3 installed, incase it didn't work. Then restored all the geforce and NVDAN* kexts/bundles from a previous 10.5.2 backup... rebooted and Diablo II is working fine for me w/ 1.12a and opengl on my Mac Pro...
Next step is my Macbook from work :D

If you don't have a Time Machine backup you can use Pacifist and the Leopard Graphics Update 1.0 to get those kexts installed. Hopefully Apple will fix this w/ 10.5.4, but if they don't and they update the kexts, you will have to reapply this whenever you update!

goblin5767

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2008
fix for Fallout/Fallout2

just wanted to make a quick post here. newest generation of macbook pro, had the same issues with fallout/fallout2 giving the wierd half-screen because of no 256 option. Did a blanket replacing of the GeForcexxxxx files and NVDAxxx files in system/library/extension. upon reboot, the 256 color option DOES appear (though it's grayed out), but upon launching the game everything works! i think there's probably a more scientific way of figuring out which files work, but I don't have the time, nor do I really care to experiment for myself!

just wanted to thank JollyRogers, and confirm this does indeed fix the issue for me! appreciate the help!

JollyRogers

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2008
Virginia
Okay, maybe I'm thick, but I'm on an intel Mac tower, not a macbook, and running 10.5.2, NOT .3. Nevertheless, same problem, and I can't choose 256 colors in my system preferences. Does anyone have any idea what I'm doing wrong? My D2 and LOD are fully patched and updated, but I get the same unexpectedly quit error that people running 10.5.3 on a macbook are describing. I just bought this thing this week, so all configurations should be standard. ANY response is greatly appreciated. I've been googling for days and haven't found any info about my setup.

Which video card does your MAC tower have? i would like to suggest reinstalling and verifying you are using the patches/updates for Diablo II LOD vice the Diablo II patch (as they are supposed to be different and according to Blizzard will cause problems). Also, if you are running 1.12a then opengl is supposed to work, so I really have no other ideas.

Karino

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2008
Short Walktrought

It`s working for me, at least for my setup of Diablo and LOD 1.12a, which stopped working after update to 10.5.3 and yes, i`ve got a slightly older MacBook Pro 3,1 with 2.2 GHz CPU and 128MB GeForce 8600 so i cannot confirm if driver downgrade will help users with new MBPs.

But for the rest of us it is a fix, we can do to play our beloved game and not to wait for Apple or Blizzard to fix it. but for a not experienced user it is a bit tricky i think so i will explain it in a few steps how i do it myself

And also, it is a "hack" of your system, so do it at your own risk and always backup.

1)download Leopard Graphics Update 1.0 from http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/leopardgraphicsupdate10.html and Pacifist from http://www.charlessoft.com/

2)Open the .pkg file, which is inside the mounted image of LGU with Pacifist and go to System/Library/Extensions. (here i have selected all the files, because selecting just some of them doesn`t work for me - maybe i have selected wrong one, if you have time to experiment, try it :)) and right click Install to Default Location..you will be asked for admin password and the instalation begins.after it just repair permissions with Disk Utility (maybe it is useless, because pacifist should give files the right permissions, but i did it anyway - just in case. After reboot you should see 256 color mode in your Displays panel in System preferences and whoaaaa Diablo II should work..

I hope, this will help :)

Dreamer3

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2008
Working with 10.5.3 and last posters tips

So I used Pacifist and installed the kexts and related files for Nvidia from the Leopard Graphics update. I just clicked "Install" in Pacifist and then chose overwrite. Rebooted... Diablo didn't work. Graphics were crazy slow in the whole OS (bad).

I tried again. This time I DELETED all the originals first (they are directories really) then clicked the install button in Pacifist to re-install and rebooted.

This time I have the greyed out 256 color mode and Diablo is offering the option to start up again. I'm attaching a snap of the files I replaced to get it working.

Attachments

• Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    36.2 KB · Views: 8,780

JollyRogers

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2008
Virginia
Diablo II: Lord of Destruction and StarCraft: Brood War are still not working on 10.5.4. :(

10.5.4 is out??? or is this the developer release... if so it aint finished or :apple: is going to refuse to "fix" this regression :mad:

OMG 10.5.4 IS out :mad:

Just an update regarding 10.5.4 on my MP... I used the kexts from the Leopard Graphics Update 1.0 and it was working as per my previous posts (actually used Time Machine to do this)... I also updated to 10.5.4 and since there are no updates to the Geforce kexts in 10.5.4, Diablo II LOD is still working for me. So if Apple updates include changes to Geforce(or intel for that matter), and it breaks Diablo, then I will have to install the Leopard Graphics Update 1.0 over via Pacifist or Time Machine to get it to work. Hopefully apple will fix the regression at some point, but I don't think they will :(

SnakeXs

macrumors member
Jun 3, 2007
10.5.4 has come and gone...

...and still no fix. Damn. With the DIII announcement I was hoping to get some native DII playtime. Not sure I wanna do all the hacking and such. *sigh*

terrrrrible

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2007
Yeah, with the announcement of D3, it's got my friends and I wanting to play again. I'm away from my PC for the week so I'm on my MacBook. Don't want to wait until Saturday to play.

goblin5767

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2008

just as a note, if you replace the files, and then update to 10.5.4, it doesn't break anything :)

mk11b

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2008
first apple experience

I just bought my first macbook about 3 days ago. I then heard of diablo III and I instantly wanted to play diablo II. From what I gather, we are all waiting for apple to fix this issue. And this being my first apple/mac experience I am extremely disappointed. With all of their trash-talking windows.... I had vista and at least vista could play an 8 year old game. This is ludicrous.

I tried downloading the patch, nothing.

reinstalling, nothing.

I have the same unexpected closing as soon as I open it.

wtf apple, wtf.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.