Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

slidelewy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 17, 2008
Connected my Apple TV up to my new Samsung LE37A559P. Everything seemed to be going ok, set it up fully, updated the software, now whenever I leave it for a while and say watch tv for abit and then go back to apple tv through the hdmi option, apple tv comes on, then a black screen comes up, says searching for hdmi input, then apple tv comes up, and then that message again.

JUst continues doing this until I have to unplug it and restart it, then works fine until the next time I put it too sleep or change mode. The HDMI cable is brand new aswell.

I've read up on it and i'm near sure its something to do with the HDMI handshake required to pair the tv to apple tv, just wondering if anyone knows any solutions, or will I just have to wait for upgrades etc.

Thanks in advance

slidelewy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 17, 2008
was thinking that, but struggling to find an upgrade for the model I have, nothing on the samsung site

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
I have the exact same problem.

I posted it on the Apple forum and the general answer is the "inconsistencies in HDMI" since the technology is young.

I'm switching to component cables.

TuckBodi

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2007
I gave up on hdmi a few months ago after two cables and a random green cracking screen. Component cable, though more bulky, are no problem.

jemeinc

macrumors 6502a
Feb 14, 2004
South Jersey
as soon as I read the title of this thread I was wondering if you had a samsung tv. Samsung uses a different HDMI technology than most of the other companies. Don't ask me why, but its a pain in the butt- its really bad with verizon FIOS. I've been told by both samsung and verizon that a major update is coming in august- not sure if that will fix your problem

MikieMikie

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2007
Newton, MA
I, too, have a Sammy with a similar HDMI problem.

I solved mine by plugging the Apple TV's HDMI output into my Yamaha AV Receiver and then the Yamaha to the Sammy. They seem to talk better to one another (Yamaha & Sammy). Since I have HDMI cable, it made sense to use the AV receiver as a switcher.

slidelewy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 17, 2008
Thanks for the help guys, hopefully Samsung will update it then and fix this problem

MikieMikie what Yamaha receiver do you have? Was thinking of getting one and if this solves this problem then all the more reason for getting it, cause its just annoying and basically makes apple tv unusable.

MikieMikie

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2007
Newton, MA
Thanks for the help guys, hopefully Samsung will update it then and fix this problem

MikieMikie what Yamaha receiver do you have? Was thinking of getting one and if this solves this problem then all the more reason for getting it, cause its just annoying and basically makes apple tv unusable.

RX-V663.

It's really an awesome receiver for the price. I had purchased a Denon (1 step up from the bottom of the rung) which refused to run 1 day after my in-store warranty expired (Best Buy)

I called and they asked me if it was the Denon model XXXX (I'd have to look it up) and I replied that it was. They told me to bring it in and they'd replace it with the Yamaha which, from what I could tell, was priced similarly with similar features. They explained that two out of every three Denons of this model were returned defective, apologized, etc.

Having used the Denon for a month, and having had the Yamaha for at least 3 after that, I can easily say that the sound quality and accuracy of the Yamaha (as well as its rock-solid reliability) is far better than the Denon I experienced.

It has 5.1 and 7.1, with auto speaker detect and adjustment. It's a real breeze to set up (compared to the inscrutable Denon) and ease-of-use is really great.

As you can tell, I am all for it!

Edit: I forgot to mention this unit upgrades all inputs to a single HDMI output, including component, SVHS, etc. In addition, if you connect your Apple TV via HDMI, audio is processed on the HDMI cable, making the need for Optical (TOSLINK) cables a thing of the past.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.