Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lucky7and3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 1, 2008
Hi guys i am going to get an ipod touch 32gb and i am thinking of getting an 32gb memory stick. I would like to know is it worth getting the memory stick to save every thing i put on my ipod eg all the movies and all my songs. The reason for this is because i dont want to keep all my files on itunes because it would keep up too much space on my comp and if my touch messes up then i wouldnt have my files.

Can i do this because i have never had an ipod b4????

Also if i buy apps from itunes can i put them on the stick or would i have to keep them on itunes??

What is the apps store do i have to pay to use it or do i just pay for the apps i buy???

Thanks for the help guys

Mac-Addict

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2006
London
There aren't any 32gb memory sticks around and if there are prepare to pay more than your iPod for one. If you really cant get them on your computer's hard drive best bet is buying an external hard drive. Western digital ones are the best in my experience.

zflauaus

macrumors 65816
Nov 19, 2004
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry Pearl 8130: BlackBerry8130/4.3.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Mac-Addict said:
There aren't any 32gb memory sticks around and if there are prepare to pay more than your iPod for one. If you really cant get them on your computer's hard drive best bet is buying an external hard drive. Western digital ones are the best in my experience.

Actually, there are. I was looking online at Walmart the other day and there was a 32GB flash drive for I think $150, so the technology is there, just not cheap.

VanArnam

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2008
32GB USB stick, etc

you could also buy an external hard drive that you could use to backup other things-they're a bunch cheaper-and faster!

if you really want a USB stick w/ 32GB, I'd hang around bensbargains.net or another deal site, I've seen them for as low as 110 shipped.

sargent bannana

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2008
why??? is it that hard to put it on your computer? your downloads are also saved with itunes. The app store has free stuff and stuff you gotta pay for. I would get an external hardrive which is cheaper. The ipod touch dosent "messup" really.;)

-George:apple:

lucky7and3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 1, 2008
why??? is it that hard to put it on your computer? your downloads are also saved with itunes. The app store has free stuff and stuff you gotta pay for. I would get an external hardrive which is cheaper. The ipod touch dosent "messup" really.;)

-George:apple:

Because if i download 30gb of stuff then i wouldnt want to sit on my comp doing nothing and taking up all that space. If i download apps from itunes can i put it on a stick or will i just have to keep it on itunes??

I have herd of people having to restore their ipods and it would take a long time ripping all my cds and my dvds back to my comp and converting them and so on. so it would be easier just to back them up on a stick or hard drive.

David G.

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2007
Alaska
Get either a larger internal hard drive or an external hard drive, forget the memory stick option.

davidy

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2008
You can get a 120GB external hard drive for around $100. That's less than a 32GB memory stick. Best Buy has 8GB SD cards for $100 if you want to go small but that would be $400 for 32GB.

PMB

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2007
New York
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

also, I would like to point out that the jumpdrive from walmart will be crap, and highly likely to corrupt your data, get a good external HD, and be done with it

sargent bannana

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2008
Because if i download 30gb of stuff then i wouldnt want to sit on my comp doing nothing and taking up all that space. If i download apps from itunes can i put it on a stick or will i just have to keep it on itunes??

I have herd of people having to restore their ipods and it would take a long time ripping all my cds and my dvds back to my comp and converting them and so on. so it would be easier just to back them up on a stick or hard drive.

how many songs/videos/pictures do u have? I also dont kown if you can store the apps on a flash drive a external harddrive is way cheaper and better

BlckMlr

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2009
external HD

why can't you just get an external harddrive instead of an SD card or micro SD compare 32GB to 1TB lol just get an external harddrive instead they are alot cheaper depending on the size you get but then you can just set the iTunes directory to your ex drive and yoiu can keep your songs in iTune without the worry of over flowing your internal HD in your computer like i said just setup in your iTunes the directory path of where you would like to store your Songs, Movies, TV Shows, Podcasts, Pictures, etc.

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida

You need the content in the "built" iTunes folder every time you sync the Touch.

Buying at the same capacity as your unit is...... not smart.

Buy an external USB Hard Drive and put your iTunes folder on there. It won't be on your computer - only on the external and you won't need to do any deleting.

Trust "everyone" on this one - especially since you don't currently own an iPod - what you are suggesting doing won't work like you think, and would be a royal PITA.

mikes70mustang

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2008
US

ah, how prices and sizes change in less than a year

Judan

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2013
Lol! Dam $100+ dollars for flash drive! I just bought one the other day for $20 32gb at Walmart. Weird how prices change. Glad I live in 2013. Wait if there dropping so much they would be about $5 in two more years haha!

Nighttracker

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2012
Thanks for resurrecting a 4 yr old thread.

Good job.

The user was just stating how technology has gotten cheaper over the past few years.
If he would have started a new thread they you probably would have been on him for starting a new thread when one already exists.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.