Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

minga

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 12, 2005
I haven't seen anything commenting on the screws shown on the pictures and videos of the iPhone 3g. Its very unapple in design so there must be a reason for there inclusion. Couple of thoughts I have had are - some kind of after Market part that you screw into the bottom of the phone after. Removal of said screws to allow for for the iPhone to become a more versatile gaming device. Or maybe to allow for easy user replacement of the back plates now they have moved over to better reception and more suseptable to damage plastic.

Any other ideas

TonyHoyle

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2007
Manchester, UK
I expect they just had to, given the design. This MBP is covered in screws, so it's not like they haven't done it before.

If it makes replacing the back easy I can see a healthy market in aftermarket backs springing up though.

minga

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 12, 2005
The user replaceable battery, that's something I've not thought about. I don't think it will be to make repair easier, they have their special thin black sticks to easily crack open the case. if it was for serviceability, then i'd imagine we would see this feature on ipods. The screws may be all over the metal mbp, but its plastic......

PCMacUser

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2005
They are all over the MacBook too....and they are plastic.

Hickman

It's really quite silly to compare screws on a laptop with screws on an Apple iPod/phone device. iPods haven't had external screws before AFAIK, and nor did the 1st iPhone.

GroundLoop

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2003
It's really quite silly to compare screws on a laptop with screws on an Apple iPod/phone device. iPods haven't had external screws before AFAIK, and nor did the 1st iPhone.

I think that it is silly for anyone to get worked up over screws period. As many have said it is likely for serviceability. The thin plastic can be easily cracked when Apple takes your iPhone apart to replace your battery every year when it stops holding a decent charge.

but I am sure that the first thing one of the MR members will do is pull out the screws to find...

Nothing.

Hickman

ViViDboarder

macrumors 68040
Jun 25, 2008
USA
No matter what they're intent was, the screws are going to make it easier to open up and more likely someone will take the time to make third party batteries or other hardware modifications. (Internal A2DP dongle? :p )

animenick65

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2006
The screws in the bottom don't look THAT bad, but I wonder why they would let them show like that. I'm pretty positive this is the first time an iPod has had visible screws.

bacaramac

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2007
Look at a tear down video of the Gen1. There are screws on the bottom once the small plastic black piece is removed to ensure the back metal piece stays on. Since the Gen2 is one big piece, they added screws to ensure the back doesn't pop off if you drop it, etc.

This is my educated guess.

a104375

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2007
Matamoras, PA
has anyone take and unscrewed them to try to see if there was something cool in there... like a $199 rebate for a free iphone??

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.