Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andyjamesnelson

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 24, 2003
Jacob's house
hi, i have 512mb right now on the PB but its spread over two slots. does anyone know which kind of ram i need to get and where should i buy it from? as far as i know this machine can take up to 2gigs of ram, i would like to get at least a gig, any ideas on what i should do? :)

Icekey

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2003
Melbourne, Australia
The cheapest thing for you to do is to get 2 x 512mb DDR333 (aka PC2700) RAM and take out the 2 x 256mb that are there inside. As I live in Australia so I can't give yhou any reference to where to buy the RAM.

KBFinFan

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2003
Connecticut, USA
Crucial or Kingston seem to both be quality manufacturers of RAM for Apple products. Go to the sites, follow the menus and it will tell you exactly what you need (which is PC2700 333Mhz DDR SDRAM I think).

Good Luck! (then give me your extra 256 chip for my extra bay since I am too poor for more RAM as of now.. :p)

Hope this was what you were looking for..

beerguy

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2003
The tolerances appear to be fairly tight on these guys. I bought some DDR2700 from MacMall that tested fine but caused a kernel panic every 5 minutes.

I finally bit the bullet and ordered some from Crucial. It seems that the additional expense is worthwhile on these machines as the Crucial RAM has been very stable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.