Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dingo Dave 69

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 23, 2007
I have a few email accounts and was just setting up a mobileme account and wondered if there was anything wrong in creating an email address that is simply your name, is there any reason not to do this?

ergdegdeg

Moderator emeritus
Oct 13, 2007
I have one with my name and a "trash"-one with a random nick name from a free provider.

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
I would recommend creating an alias with your real name and make ups something else for your permanent email name but either way is fine.

redwarrior

macrumors 603
Apr 7, 2008
in the Dawg house
Me too. I use my name and my business name. But I don't use my real name for anything associated with this forum. Give these guys my name? Uh uh, no way!:p

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Me too. I use my name and my business name. But I don't use my real name for anything associated with this forum. Give these guys my name? Uh uh, no way!:p

I thought your name really was Red Warrior
No wonder I couldn't find you :eek:

Using your name is pretty much not a problem, but it doesn't hurt to have an alias for use in certain situations.

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Not using your name kind of reminds of the way people blur out their licenses plate when posting a picture of their car. However they drive down the interstate where 1000s can see it without a thought.:eek:

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007

Ha ha, what difference does it make if you give us your real name? We won't know if it's really your real name or a fake one. Giving us your real name doesn't expose your I.P. address so we can track where you live and go raid your home and take that shiny new Mac.:D

robanga

macrumors 68000
Aug 25, 2007
Oregon
Our ability to remain hidden is fast disappearing. I have both email addresses and web sites with my real name, my wife does as well. Sure, If someone chose to target me specifically for something malicious, it MIGHT make it a LITTLE easier to be a bad guy, but certainly not much.

In general I think we can be a bit paranoid about this stuff.

WellRedd

macrumors member
May 26, 2008
London-ish
I used to use a nickname in my email address, back when having a work email address wasn't very common, but as I gave it out to more and more people that I worked with, it became obvious I'd be better off using my real name, less embarrassing and easier all round.

redwarrior

macrumors 603
Apr 7, 2008
in the Dawg house
Ha ha, what difference does it make if you give us your real name? We won't know if it's really your real name or a fake one. Giving us your real name doesn't expose your I.P. address so we can track where you live and go raid your home and take that shiny new Mac.:D
Hey! What are you doing in my living room?:eek:

I'm sure I've already been exposed... my ip that is.:cool:

richard.mac

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2007
51.50024, -0.12662
my real name for Gmail and my Uni email and then a hotmail one which is full of spam in which i use for sign ups and post openly on forums. still has my name but its what i used in high school for msn :rolleyes:

richithomas@hotmail.com

i wonder if ill get an increase in spam in the coming weeks? :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.