Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jhomayne

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 1, 2004
Hi there.

I'm about to do an erase and install on my ibook, everything backed up .etc just a few questions:

When I got my iBook it was installed with Panther. I have since upgraded to Tiger. I presume that I need to reinstall with the original discs I got, not with my tiger upgrade cd and that I will need to re-upgrade to Tiger once I'm done? Would it be wise to get the latest combo update for Tiger ready to install once I'm done?

Cheers!

MacFanatic08

macrumors member
Jun 1, 2008
No, you won't need to install panther first. As long as Tiger is installed now. Put in the Tiger Upgrade DVD, then click erase and install, then install. I've done it alot of times.

jhomayne

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 1, 2004
Cheers!

So I won't need to use the original restore discs that came with my computer?

jhomayne

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 1, 2004
Sorry to bump my own thread but just wanted to check before i hit erase!

Anyone else got any advice?

Any recommended things to backup?

Pees330

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2006
Las Vegas, NV
You can use the Tiger discs to do the erase and install. As for backing up, just make sure you have all the important stuff to you like photos, documents, music, etc. Good luck and everything will be fine.

jhomayne

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 1, 2004
Everything is super lovely again.

Although I kinda don't want to put any of my backed-up stuff back on as everything is so nice and clean!

Although I am now realising what I forgot to back-up... namely iLife 07, as install disk is a couple hundred miles away!

techound1

macrumors 68000
Mar 3, 2006
Although I am now realising what I forgot to back-up... namely iLife 07, as install disk is a couple hundred miles away!

Happens to me too - it's a law of erase-and-install that there will always be SOMEthing. :p

jhomayne

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 1, 2004
Yeah.

And I'm thinking that while everything is nice and fresh I may even fork out for leopard...

Would it be worth it on my iBook G4 1.2 768mb ram?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.