Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

markfc

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 18, 2006
Prestatyn, Wales, UK
Ha Ha, just had our new Dell Poweredge Server in.

Dual Quad Core 2.0ghz...

Thought I'd have a play encoding some movies on it!!!

It's a little bit faster than my iMac.... ;-)

I'm now tempted to get a Mac Pro....

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    57.7 KB · Views: 1,002

bacaramac

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2007
I thought I had read about six months ago on either MacRumors or the Handbrake forums that quad core will use 100% and 8 core will only use 70% of all the processors.

Someone was commenting that it was nice to encode and still have plenty of processor power left for other tasks on their 8 core Mac Pro.

dynaflash

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2003
Exactly, HB is most optimized for up to a four core processor, realize that not all of the encoders are as optimized as others. x264 is the most optimized and multi threaded. The muxers are not multithreaded at all so the muxing phase will be slower, also the deinterlacers have crappy optimization so if your deinterlacing that is your bottleneck.

eddyg, one of the HB devs that has an eight core can get better speeds using two instances of HB. Also remember, do not interlace unless you have to.

Andrew Henry

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2008
Ha Ha, just had our new Dell Poweredge Server in.

Dual Quad Core 2.0ghz...

Thought I'd have a play encoding some movies on it!!!

It's a little bit faster than my iMac.... ;-)

I'm now tempted to get a Mac Pro....

What are the rest of the machine specs? Ram? HDD ? etc.

I have a spare Dual - Dual Core 2.0ghz Opteron server with 4gb ram, 160gb 7200rpm SATA drive etc. I may use to do some encoding.

cohibadad

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2007
With one instance of HB on my octo MP I get 100-120 fps using CQ 65% VFR on and I can use the computer for all other needs without any hiccup. I'm afraid to peg the meters with two instances.

Kurfer

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2008
My mac pro 2.4 8-core is getting around 181fps average for handbrake encodes. Loving it so far!

Kurfer

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2008
Well, if you were a little more experienced in these forums you'd understand that not only am I quite helpful to others when I can be, but that I also don't like people with poor manners, such as yourself.

Wow you're one tough internet dude! I bet you roll your cigarettes up in your sleeve! :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.