Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mchat

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 5, 2008
I'm getting the iPhone when it comes out in canada. I think the lowest data plan will be fine for me. Is there an app that can shut off the data transfers when I reach 400mb? I want to make sure I don't rack up extra charges.

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
That would be nice actually, having the option to shut off data when you have reached your limit and if you want to keep going then you can. I don't think that option is available though, you just have to monitor your usage.

TimothyB

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2008
Bay Area
Wasn't one company in a commercial offering electric shock collars for when you go over your minutes, maybe they can do that for data too :)

Telp

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2007
That would be nice actually, having the option to shut off data when you have reached your limit and if you want to keep going then you can. I don't think that option is available though, you just have to monitor your usage.

I think thats the best you can do. Check your usage when you feel your close, and remember to either keep a toll of your monthly usage, or reset your settings when the new month rolls in.

TimothyB

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2008
Bay Area
When you're close to the end of your minutes or data you'd think they could have their system easily send a text message to you, warning you.

bavarian3

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2008
I could have sworn there was a screen-shot of turning off EDGE/3G..... this would allow you to use WiFi; which does not count against your data plan.

helloadam

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2008
Cumming GA
There is a feature, its called airplane mode, which turns off the Data and bluetooth and wifi while you're on a plane. But when you do that you can't make or receive calls so it would defeat the purpose of the phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.