Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cwalex18

Original poster
Feb 19, 2008
United States
I am thinking about bringing my MacBook Pro in for it's yearly tune up under procare. Does anyone know what they do as part of the tune up (aside from the vague description on the Apple site)? I am trying to see if it is worth it or not to do it. Right now I am leaning toward doing it, because I have not used my $99 procare card on anything else yet.

Thanks! :)

chrisbeebops

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2007
Software, I think they just run updates, and repair disk/permissions.

Other than that, I believe they vacuum under the keyboard... maybe blow the dust out of the laptop itself.

MattZani

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2008
UK
I Would imagine they dismantle it, clean it all out, maybe be sneaky and replace scratched parts.

Its not going to cost you anything, just spend a day in the town while they do it.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
I am thinking about bringing my MacBook Pro in for it's yearly tune up under procare. Does anyone know what they do as part of the tune up (aside from the vague description on the Apple site)? I am trying to see if it is worth it or not to do it. Right now I am leaning toward doing it, because I have not used my $99 procare card on anything else yet.

Prepare to leave it with them for at least 24 hours.

Sanzu08

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2008
London

Did you take it in ? Curious to know how long it took and what they did

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC

They run a defrag, computer diagnostics and test, update your software if needed, and a probably clean up your computer (physically--wipe screen, clean keyboard, etc.)

cwalex18

Original poster
Feb 19, 2008
United States

They ran the Apple Hardware Test, Optimized the Hard Drive (Defrag, Permissions, and Disk Check), and Scanned computer for viruses using Norton AntiVirus. They also looked for any Apple Software Updates and cleaned my MBP body and screen. I also had them look at another problem I was having with the keyboard backlight while it was in. I took it in on May 9th in the evening. They estimated it would be done on May 12th, but I got a phone call from the Apple Store at noon on May 11th to say it was ready for pick-up. Pretty much everything in the tune-up you can do at home yourself. I did the tune-up because I happened to have ProCare. I would not buy ProCare just to get the tune-up, but if you have ProCare and you can afford being without your computer for a few days, go ahead and do the tune-up. It can't hurt.

I can see how this would be useful for someone who is not very computer savvy and wants to have their computer looked at once a year to make sure it is in working condition.

merl1n

macrumors 65816
Mar 30, 2008
New Jersey, USA
They run a defrag, computer diagnostics and test, update your software if needed, and a probably clean up your computer (physically--wipe screen, clean keyboard, etc.)

They ran the Apple Hardware Test, Optimized the Hard Drive (Defrag, Permissions, and Disk Check), and Scanned computer for viruses using Norton AntiVirus...

As far as "defragmenting", did they just defrag the Directory Structure File or the entire disk itself? (The Directory Structure file can be done with DiskWarrior.)

According to Apple KB, in most cases defragmenting the drive (all files) is not necessary and in some cases could impede performance.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1375

cwalex18

Original poster
Feb 19, 2008
United States
As far as "defragmenting", did they just defrag the Directory Structure File or the entire disk itself? (The Directory Structure file can be done with DiskWarrior.)

I'm not sure if it was the entire disk or just the Directory Structure File. All I know is that they used Drive Genius to defrag the hard drive. They probably would not do something that they themselves recommend not to do (I hope :eek:).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.